Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Intel Wireless Bluetooth, state constantly toggles after a driver update pushed to Windows 10 64 1909. Have tried everything

User1589699940172478

I Have an Asrock 390m-itx/ac mobo. Everything was fine, but then these automatic updates were pushed to my pc, and now the intel wireless bluetooth is screwed up. You can see the little usb icon in the systray toggling on/off continuously, and if you look in device manager, the icon is constantly disappearing and reappearing, and you can hear the windows new connection sound effect constantly going off. Intolerable.

To delete or uninstall it, I first have to disable it, otherwise I get an error that it’s in use. I have tried: removing from device manager, uninstalling from programs, sfc /scan now, update driver, roll back driver, roll back windows updates, using generic driver, using intel driver from asrock website, using latest driver from intel’s website, in-place upgrade. Unfortunately, restore points were not turned on.

Microsoft is now recommending I do a full clean install now. Intel, do you have anything for me to try first?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
User1589699940172478
OK so here’s the crazy thing. Here’s the solution apparently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-bluetooth-reconnecting-loop/472698b0-17cb-45ab-8bf0-30161e8de11e

It appears that when your Intel Bluetooth gets stuck, turning the pc off and Unplugging so as to drain the power from the computer seems to be the fix. Merely shutting it down and starting it up again doesn’t change anything even if you uninstall the drivers.

I would really love for Intel Bluetooth engineers to see this. As you can see from that solution answer, it has helped 80 people so it seems to be a fairly common occurrence out there. I’m so glad I saw that before I spent four hours reinstalling that computer from scratch.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

To perform a Clean WLAN Install:

1. Download the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers for all non-Legacy adapters: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28685/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=94854 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28687/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=94854
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, uninstall any instances of the Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth packages present. If prompted, choose to Discard Settings.
  4. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  5. In Device Manager , expand the Network Adapters; if there is no entry for your Intel Wireless adapter, go to Step 8.
  6. Right-click on the Intel Wireless adapter and select Uninstall device. Make sure to check the option to Delete the driver software for this device.
  7. Go to Step 4.
  8. Clear out your temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool.
  9. Install the driver packages downloaded in step one. Install Bluetooth first, followed by Wireless.
  10. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  11. Enable Internet access.
  12. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
User1589699940172478

Hi

I just had a repeat of my problem. I tried your steps a few times and each time I got the problem back. This time, I can’t connect it to a recent Windows update. The only thing that changed was I installed a new VR Helmet, the Valve Index. Everything was fine for a few days, and then I go to find this terrible curse is back.

I’m on the verge of another painful reinstall from scratch, so please let me know if there’s anything I should try.

I should note that when I see intel wireless in my device manager, i can uninstall, but there is no checkbox to delete files as well. This does exist on Intel Bluetooth. When I reboot, the Intel Wireless driver is already reinstalled.

0 Kudos
User1589699940172478
OK so here’s the crazy thing. Here’s the solution apparently. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/intel-bluetooth-reconnecting-loop/472698b0-17cb-45ab-8bf0-30161e8de11e

It appears that when your Intel Bluetooth gets stuck, turning the pc off and Unplugging so as to drain the power from the computer seems to be the fix. Merely shutting it down and starting it up again doesn’t change anything even if you uninstall the drivers.

I would really love for Intel Bluetooth engineers to see this. As you can see from that solution answer, it has helped 80 people so it seems to be a fairly common occurrence out there. I’m so glad I saw that before I spent four hours reinstalling that computer from scratch.
0 Kudos
User1589699940172478

I just wanted to say thank you. I wound up reinstalling Windows to 1903 and then updating to 1909, this time with an image backup in case anything went wrong. The driver situation did not recur. But if I am stuck in that hole again in the future, I’ll refer to these steps. Thank you very much.

0 Kudos