Since the November update to windows 10 (not the initial windows 10 upgrade) my wireless no longer works and un-intstalling and re- installing the Intel drivers on my laptop (Lenovo X1 Carbon Touch) makes no difference. I've contacted Lenovo who are blaming Microsoft (even though this model laptop is stated as tested for windows 10 on their website).
I've also gone through Microsoft tech support who have spent three hours remoting onto my laptop and believe that the intel lan driver is the issue - the wireless does not even show up in my network connection
Is this a known issue or have I just been completely hung out to dry by both Lenovo and Microsoft?
The router firmware update may be helpful for improving the compatibility between the wireless adapter and the router. You can also do the following:
1. Set the Power Saving Settings: Got to control Panel >> Hardware and Sound >> Power Option >> Set the High Performance and apply to default settings:
2. Also, check the Change Plan Settings >> Change Advanced Power Settings >> Wireless Adapter Settings >> Power Saving Mode and make sure both on Battery and Plugged in are set to High Performance.
3. Set the Wireless Mode according to the support mode of your router.
4. Set the Preferred Band to Prefer 2.4GHz band.
5. Set the 802.11n Channel Width for 2.4 GHz to limited 20MHz.
6. Set the Roam Aggressiveness to Lowest.
7. Set the value of Ad Hoc QoS Mode to WMM Disable.
As a second option, you can also do the following below since you have informed that after the assistance received from the OEM the issue still persists. From our Download Center do the following:
1. Download and save the latest driver available for this adapter: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25511/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Download Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*.
2. Go to Control Panel, Programs and Features and uninstall the current "Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software", if it is installed. When prompted, choose the option to "Discard settings".
3. In Control Panel, Device Manager, Network Adapters, right click on the Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6205 and uninstall it. Make sure you mark the option to "Delete the driver software for this device".
4. Reboot the PC or scan for hardware changes, check device manager and if an older driver is detected and installed, repeat the actions to uninstall and delete it as well. Repeat this process until the OS does not allow deleting the driver, or until the controller shows as Unknown Device.
5. Install the Intel® Wireless driver. During the first steps of PROSet/Wireless installation, make sure to customize the installation and install all the 3 driver components.
Thanks for the reply. I've checked the power settings and they were as your suggest setting them already.
I've not done 3 - 7 (I don't know where these settings are) I can't see any wireless connections and the little wireless symbol in the system tray has a red X on it - there are also no wireless connections in the network connections (Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections) just my Ethernet adaptor.
I've tried to install the Intel software but can't, I get the error shown in the attached image.
If I remove the Intel Centrino device from Device manage it just re-appears on reboot.
Please, try to uninstall from Device Manager and let us know how it goes
The step # 3 is for you to check the Wireless Mode on the router, (802.11a/b/g) perhaps the router manufacturer may be contacted in order to assist you on this. As for the wireless adapter, it should be on the same mode. as shown in the illustrative-only picture below. The Wireless Adapter may be different but you may see the same type of configuration.
*Please make sure that your computer is connected through an Ethernet cable so you can access the Internet in order to proceed with the steps.
We also recommend to contact your computer manufacturer, click here: http://www.intel.com/support/oems.htm Computer Manufacturer Support in order to check if they have any possible solution to this issue and in order also to obtain the latest drivers.
As for step # 7, you will follow the same procedure to access the Advanced tab and do it as recommended.