Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel Wireless-N 7260 fails to connect WLAN and Bluetooth with Windows 8.1

MWell4
Novice

Hello Community!

I recently bought a Lenovo T440s with an Intel Wireless-N 7260 Wireless and Bluetooth chip.

The device is amazing, everything went fluently. I updated all the drivers, the BIOS, my software and uninstalled the waste, like cloud saving services, games and so on. Everthing was perfect until i updated to Windows 8.1.

Since this update, the Wireless-N 7260 won't work properly any more. The internet is not available directly from the OS startup, I have to wait several minutes. My Bluetooth mouse has abrupt failures for several minutes, works then again, but only for 10 minutes approx.

I also tried every driver and ProSET-version from forum threads I read from people with similar problems. The last try was the actual version 16.7.0, but also with that version it won't work.

I am pretty desperate right now, because the notebook itself is one hot ass piece, and I love to work with Windows 8.1 also.

Please Intel, tell me what to do, or even better, release a driver that works!

125 Replies
NKost1
Beginner

Greetings Jonathan,

Thanks for your advice!

I've followed your instructions and they have resolved my problems.

I'll try with other access points but if I don't post anything more that means it works fine with all!

Thank you very much!

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

So the wireless adapter disassociates from the AP. Do you notice any change in the status of the driver in Device Manager when the disconnection occurs?

0 Kudos
tgluz
Beginner

Not really.

The card is still displayed as 'Connected' and 'Associated'. The IP address is still up,

When you have a look at counters, the packets are tried to be sent out of the computer to the AP but we do not receive anything.

So the LAN is not accessible, I loose connection to my NAS and other computers, Internet is not reachable.

It seems that when I start to make a copy of a file that loads the bandwidth, it hangs after a minute or so.

Is there any log or monitor tool to run and collect data?

ps: I checked again this morning as it happened at least 5 times in the last hour and there is absolutely no event in the logs, neither in application or system ... if you wait like 3-5 minutes, then the connection goes up again by itself, it feels just like the receiving thread freezes and starts up again after some "timer" being fired.

0 Kudos
tgluz
Beginner

there you get the example, the connection is still seen as up on the Windows side but the counter of packets freeze and the small icon on bottom right shows that Internet connection is lost (so is lan).

0 Kudos
CPool2
Novice

I am experiencing the same problem. I have an Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260 in a Sony Vaio Pro 13. I connect to an Apple Airport Extreme gen 4. My connection drops whenever it is under heavy load such as downloading a large file, video streaming, etc. Under normal usage I get ~30 minutes. The only way to correct the problem is to disable and re-enable the wifi adapter. I have all the latest drivers and Windows 8.1 updates. The problem seems even worse after the recent April update to Windows 8.1.

After following suggestions from other posts, the only way I am able to maintain a stable wifi connection is disable HT mode, but the speeds are extremely slow (1-3 MB/sec max)... fine for general web surfing... but not adequate for my needs.

No 5007 and 5055 errors, the adapter looks normal in device manager, just get a yellow exclamation point on my wifi status indicator and cannot access the network until I reset the adapter.

Like everyone else, I am impatiently waiting for a fix. For me this has been going on for close to a year.

0 Kudos
ASand5
Beginner

poolc

I have a Lenovo W540 running Windows 8.1 and I'm actually having a events with ID 5007 (sorry I don't know how to properly paste the info as code):

+System

-Provider[ Name] NETwNb64

-EventID5035

[ Qualifiers] 24576Level4Task0Keywords0x80000000000000-TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2014-06-06T16:04:43.976340300ZEventRecordID11512ChannelSystemComputerkaiowas-THINK<td style="font-fam...
0 Kudos
DSper
Novice

Originally purchased a Sony Vaio Pro 13. Returned the device after 2 months of being completely frustrated of disconnections. I was on the Sony forums and the blame I thought was on Sony.

Then replaced that laptop and purchased an Acer S7-392.... same issue so I started looking into the wireless adapter and found you here!

At this point I've purchased a cheap wireless dongle. It works flawlessly. My RDP sessions and Citrix sessions remain connected which allows me to use my laptop for work.

It's still unacceptable that this problem has existed for so long without a resolution.

Joe-Intel - The events ID's you suggested are not present on my machine

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

For those who were not able to fix the issue with the latest drivers, we are looking for volunteers willing to assist providing information and testing drivers. The people who would like to help with this task must be using our latest driver and still have connection drops. Please note these important considerations:

• Be a technical savvy person in wireless networking.
  • Be willing to install/uninstall drivers and provide feedback.
  • Have software skills. If possible, knowledgeable in software debugging.

In order to participate please send an e-mail to the Intel® Support Center indicating that you would like to contribute with driver testing or send me a private message with your contact information.

E- Mail support for North America: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/emailsupport.htm http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/emailsupport.htm

E- Mail support for the rest of the world: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/email_support.htm http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/email_support.htm

0 Kudos
CPool2
Novice

I solved my problem. I have two Apple Airport Extreme's (both Generation 4) in my house. I replaced them both with ASUS RT-AC68U Wi-Fi Routers and everything works flawlessly.

It was neurall's mention of the Apple Airport Extreme 4G that triggered me to give this a try. I am convinced there is some incompatibility with the Intel drivers and the Apple Airport Extreme Generation 4 (and perhaps some other Wi-Fi routers as well).

Just to clarify, I have never had any problems with any other devices on my Apple Airport Extreme Generation 4 Wi-Fi network until I got two laptops with Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260. After getting rid of the Apple Airport Extreme Generation 4, my Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260's perform perfectly.

To test, I have successfully done the following things (all of which used to be guaranteed to give me a yellow exclamation on my Windows 8 Wi-Fi notification icon and kill my network connection after a short time):

1. I downloaded 2 HD movies (6-8GB each) from Xbox Video.
  2. I copied 40GB worth of music from another PC in my house.
  3. I performed a full backup of my laptop over the network.

joe_intel, I hope this helps you figure out the bug in your drivers. I definitely recommend you test using an Apple Airport Extreme Generation 4 and placing the Wi-Fi connection under heavy load. For me this was a sure fire way to reproduce the problem.

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Thank you poolc, I have sent you a PM

0 Kudos
CPool2
Novice

joe_intel, I cannot retrieve your private message. I just get a blank page when I click on the link in the email.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The new Jive version did not include the PMs stored in Intel® Communities' inbox before the upgrade.

I have lost some PMs too, I will send it again.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Joe,

I've saw new WiFi driver for N-7260 just been released yesterday with version 17.0.2.

Shall this version can be used in Windows 8.1 and stop my limited connectivity issue? Can you help to confirm?

I'm running on Windows 7 now and no issue regarding limited connection. Will be very excited and re-install my Windows if this update fixed the bugs.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Joe,

Thanks for informing. But is there any positive feedback that the developers get after this Wireless driver version released? I wanna try out and share the feedback.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We have now included an option to enable/disable uAPSD in the adapter properties. This will allow better compatibility with some AP models and alleviate throughput issues.

I hope others can also comment about their experience with this release.

0 Kudos
asoar2
Beginner

Hi, Joe.

I have a Thinkpad Edge E440 with a 7260-N BGN adapter, running on the latest Linux Mint. For obvious reasons, I don't expect Linux drivers. However, I would really appreciate a list of supported wireless cards so that I can replace it. Would the 7260-N AC work or do I need to rewrite the BIOS?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The system manufacturers use Intel® wireless adapters for their testing (and not vice-versa); they take the necessary steps to validate the integration and functionality (such as power requirement, BIOS, drivers, etc). It is because of this that we recommend contacting the computer manufacturer for compatibility information.

0 Kudos
ICust36
Novice

Hello Intel community,

I've bought one of Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop some days ago, I've done a clean install of Windows 8.1, I've installed everything correctly, (also the bluetooth cable for the power), and everything is working fine for the first hours. I've installed first the updated driver (this one here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3714&DwnldID=23865 Download Center ), and after I've faced so many issues after installing this software (like the infamous "Bluetooth not detected AC 7260 for Desktop (Device Descriptor Request Failed), I've found an hybrid solution:

As you can see I've installed this version of drivers for each one of device

the device are ok, and are working but, after something like 3 hours of working on my workstation, the device disconnect the bluetooth sometimes, and I have to power off the mouse and the keyboard (both working on bluetooth), for restart bt connection, and it also disconnect the wifi (more often then bluetooth) but for wifi the unique thing I can do is wait some minutes to see it reconnect. With another wifi usb device, and bluetooth usb device, I never faced problem like this, so the problem isn't my router or something like that. I don't think is a power problem because my power supply is this a Revolution 87+ (gold standard) by Enermax and his working at less then half of his power. I've also tried to disable the automatic standby mode in windows usb power option like advised by many people in this community, but I'm always facing the same random disconnection problem. I think is a driver issue because the device is working, so Intel, I'm your customer for a long time, can you develop a good and stable driver once for all for this device? I cannot understand the policy of releasing devices without any testing on stability.

I don't play with the computer, I work (and gamers have the same rights), and from Intel I expected reliability and professionalism, and this time I was really disappointed. I'm hoping for a driver update as quickly as possible. I hope my notes can be usefull for someone and I wish you good work.

Best regards

0 Kudos
tgluz
Beginner

it does not affect only Apple Extreme 4G connection, I'm experiencing drops also roaming (Starbucks, whatever,...) and also with Apple 5 under iOS7.1 internet sharing.

The problem seems to be happening with Wi-Fi N and 5GHz capable networks.

0 Kudos
DSper
Novice

17.0.2 has been working flawlessly for three days for me on my Acer S7-392. I'm happy to report - It's good news so far. I was experiencing drop outs at worse every 15 minutes, and at very best every few hours and I've experienced nothing of the sort after 3 days of heavy use.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

David