Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

Intel Wireless-N 7260 fails to connect WLAN and Bluetooth with Windows 8.1

MWell4
Novice

Hello Community!

I recently bought a Lenovo T440s with an Intel Wireless-N 7260 Wireless and Bluetooth chip.

The device is amazing, everything went fluently. I updated all the drivers, the BIOS, my software and uninstalled the waste, like cloud saving services, games and so on. Everthing was perfect until i updated to Windows 8.1.

Since this update, the Wireless-N 7260 won't work properly any more. The internet is not available directly from the OS startup, I have to wait several minutes. My Bluetooth mouse has abrupt failures for several minutes, works then again, but only for 10 minutes approx.

I also tried every driver and ProSET-version from forum threads I read from people with similar problems. The last try was the actual version 16.7.0, but also with that version it won't work.

I am pretty desperate right now, because the notebook itself is one hot ass piece, and I love to work with Windows 8.1 also.

Please Intel, tell me what to do, or even better, release a driver that works!

125 Replies
PShu1
Beginner

joe_intel wrote:

We appreciate your feedback and your results regarding the latest drivers.

It is also important to bear in mind that there are many variables that affect the operation of the wireless connectivity, especially in the cases where the adapter was installed as an upgrade; the system manufacturer needs to validate such integration in order to comply with the local wireless regulations and all the testing that involves in terms of power utilization, reliability, and performance, which includes the adapter, antennas and chassis.

"there are many variables the affect the operation of the wireless connectivity..."

Agreed.

Yet the OEM Intel Centrino 6200 that came with my laptop works and an OEM Intel 7260--in the same laptop--is so problematic? The laptop is essentially unchanged.

Sorry, this reads like execubabble; a poor attempt to divert accountability.

0 Kudos
ICust36
Novice

It's not a matter of installing as an upgrade, it's not a matter of brands of components, and there is no question of anything else. The driver is not good or the card has to be thrown away. But with the latest driver updates you have done a good job on the bluetooth, and it no longer crashes, but the WiFi continues to have a problem. The signal is always low compared to other brands (the last time I did also the name of an USB WiFi adapter brand), with an usb adapter I was always with the signal at 100% and I've NEVER seen a disconnection. So please, you have at least to make the usable WiFi driver, and please, the next time you craft a component of this kind, be sure to test it hard before release.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
btalc
Beginner

It seems that there is not much the 7260HMW works well in and after looking through this thread, it appeared that Intel was still working on coming up with drivers or firmware that would solve the problems this card was having. I came here hoping that a solution had been found. I spent good money on a product that Intel probably shouldn't even have on the market until these problems are solved. At t his point I would just like to do an RMA and either get my money back or get the 7260HMW exchanged for a product that works.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
RYoun6
Beginner

I'm a Sys Admin/consultant who acquired my Sony VAIO because it was purchased by the CEO for his wife whom could not stand it and gave it away due to the wireless problem. At first I thought she didn't know what she was talking about. I see now that it was all legitimate. a fix (hardware or software) is needed. My laptop stays connected until a sleep state and then sometimes needs to have the card disabled and re-enabled and sometimes needs a full reboot. Last night I was connected to work via citrix RDP and was renaming a DC when the card started misbehaving and my throughput dropped to about .5mbps. lost my connection and took me 2x the time it would have otherwise to complete my task and outage.

Please correct this issue!

0 Kudos
QRich
Beginner

Hi,I had the same problems as everyone else....no or dropping wifi connection .After I gave my laptop a static ip...all problems solved. Maybe this helps some of you guys.

GMila2
Beginner

DLink DSL 2750B. Add this router to the incompatible devices.

I've the reported issues neverthelesse I've applied all the suggested corrections and update the driver.

Intel N7260 continously drop the connection and it seems connected but it cannot surf the Internet neither has access to the LAN (i.e. admin interface of the router).

Lenovo E540 with Windows 8.1 updated to the last patch!

It' really annoying that in 2014 we should yet face us with wifi connection issues!!!!

Regards,
0 Kudos
JBurr8
Beginner

I had the same issue on my Sony Vaio Windows 8.1 - found if I disable the Bluetooth on the Viao then the wireless n connection issues goes away. Just thought I would pass the info on.

idata
Employee

Windows 8.1

Driver 17.1.0.19

Connecting to wireless-N network

Same problem for me

Tried disabling U-APSD, no result

Intel please fix this

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Ok guys, my sad story with 7260 has happy end. finally. Connection drops , limited access, no connection after sleep and constant blutooth connection drops are in the past. I just get used qualcomm killer 1202 off ebay for 25 bucks and those problems are gone. No any drop in Now 7260 in the trash can , after 6 months of tinkering with drivers and wasting time reading useless threads with no solution. My advice is to stop begging Intel for drivers, they will never pop up, i think the card is a crap and have some bug in it, just replace it with any other product and save your time for something more important =)

Intel , you sucks ! It happens really rare but in this case you have to recall that faulty crap and replace it or refund your customers.

PSega
Beginner

Happy Halloween! Maybe I can make this experience a little less scary...

I bought a new Toshiba laptop with this wireless card installed ten days ago and have experienced all of the problems listed here, but I was able to fix it. Note: This fix won't work for everyone, but it did for me and others.

1. Search for and download a newer version of the driver, 17.12.0.4. NOTE: It is not a driver for the Toshiba model, but it works. It may or may not be compatible with your brand.
  2. Uninstall the current drive, reboot, then load the new driver (driver date should be 08/28/2014 after install).
  3. In DEVICE MANAGER > POWER MANAGEMENT tab, check the box, "Allow the computer to turn off the device to save power".

There is an even newer driver released (17.13.0.9), but I haven't tried it - YMMV. Re # 3, it is the power management setting that seems to allow the device to come out of sleep without disabling the wireless card. Again, I hope this solves it for you as I went nuts just using it for a week, and many of you have been searching for months. Good luck!

roshe
Beginner

Skates,

I bought the Toshiba Radius P55W-B5224.

Curious if your fix is still working.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Kudos
PPazu
Beginner

Hi.

I recently bought Lenovo Flex 15 with 7260 wireless adapter and I also faced problems with Wi-Fi connection.

After troubleshooting I found that problems only with 802.11n.

So I changed my wifi router's wireless mode to "B/G ONLY" and it began to work fine. Of course, it is not the 802.11n but at least you will stay wireless.

0 Kudos
SPagh
Beginner

I would like to confirm that for me on my Lenovo Yoga Pro 2, the "solution" to this problem was changing my wi-fi router to 54Mbps to eliminate the n protocol. Seriously considering getting a different wi-fi card.

0 Kudos
SBo1
Novice

Guys , dont dry your brain, go get different card ! Im over 3 weeks with killer1202 and no any bug with it . Awesome performance, ping is less at the same conditions, immediate reconnect after wake up, no any roaming problems.

0 Kudos
SStef9
Beginner

I bought a Yoga 2 with intel N7620 and I cannot use the wireless connection at all (Win 8.1). I keep getting disconnects or limited connectivity in spite of the fact that I am 2 feet away from the router.

I cannot change my wireless card because the folks at lenovo have a whitelist of allowed cards under BIOS and there are none available to purchase.

I tried linux and I can connect to several networks that are not usable under windows 8.1.

I tried all the drivers available (official, unofficial, manufacturer, intel, 3rd party, hacks, settings, etc) and still no luck.

To the poor people at intel: What I am supposed to do? How can I use my hardware? I bought this with my hard earned money. Are you begging for a class action lawsuit? IS the product defective or are the drivers bust?

When are you going to fix this? There are lots of people having this problem. We can control our own home network but what about when we are on the road?

If you cannot fix it, tell us and let all the OEM know so that they are able to provide us with alternatives!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please try the following driver: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds036007 Intel Wireless LAN (11abgn, 11bgn, 11ac) for Windows 8 (32-bit, 64-bit), 7 (32-bit, 64-bit) - ThinkPad - Lenovo Support …

0 Kudos
JNote
Beginner

Essentially the same issue on Lenovo Ideapad Z710 with Win 8.1

My card constantly drops the internet connection, though it does remain connected to the network. I'm able to disconnect and reconnect again and this restores the connection briefly. There's no consistency to the disconnects--sometimes I can go a couple days with only one disconnect, often a few hours, but sometimes it happens constantly in a 10-15 minute time frame.

Insanely frustrating because my machine is otherwise incredibly satisfactory, but I do use this for work--I'm losing money and not able to accurately bill my clients because of these connectivity issues.

Lenovo support recommends driver version 17.0.3.3 from May 2014 and playing around with the HT Mode setting--either disabling or enabling.

I have found that no driver or setting makes this card consistent. It is utterly worthless. Granted, the problem is probably with the market hegemon Microsoft which feels free to ignore problems like this. If not for needing Windows for my clients, I'd simply switch to Linux.

PLEASE FIX THIS USELESS PRODUCT.

0 Kudos
AMawd
Beginner

Joe,

I'm hoping you can help me. I retired last August and now fully appreciate what it means to be without a great IT department that takes care of all my IT woes. Right after I retired, I was talked into buying an ASUS laptop (had never heard of ASUS before) model Q302LA by a Best Buy salesman... boy did he see me coming all the way across that big box store. Within a week I had wifi connectivity problem with the laptop... I took it back and the Geek Squad guy did something to disable the device then reboot, Windows finds the Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260 and automatically reinstalls it. This worked a couple of times... needed to do it every time I wanted to connect to the internet... but after another week that trick stopped working. After 3 weeks I took the darn thing back to Best Buy and they gave me a new laptop even though I was beyond their 15 day policy. But the whole problem just started in once again (which was enough to convince me this is a systemic problem). Same trick of disabling worked about six times, then completely fails. ASUS website is no help... they claim the device driver I have (17.0.1.5 which is dated well before I ever bought my laptop) is the most current for my machine... may be it is from there standpoint which means they aren't helping their customers with this problem. Since November, I have been tethered to an Ethernet cable and the add-on external Ethernet port since ASUS doesn't think you'll ever need one cause their wifi stuff don't stink... yeah right. Long sad tale... but this morning I discovered this site and read the entries of all the people with machines from different OEMs that all have this same/similar problem with their Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 7260.

Is there any new solution you can suggest so that I can be wireless again?

Thanks,

Alan

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Alan_, I hope these steps help:

• Update your wireless driver and consider updating the firmware for your router.
  • Verify the wireless encryption you are using on both devices, we recommend WPA2-AES. In general, avoid TKIP, even though it worked for few users.
  • Check if you have multiple firewall or security software conflicting with each other and blocking the connection, you will only need one.
  • Test with different router or (hotspot) wireless network.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Downloads

0 Kudos
kDybo
Beginner

I am glad that I found this thread because I really need help. I have Intel® Wireless-N 7260 model 7260HMW BN. I don't know if it is a dual band. but I think it has bluetooth.

I have 2 issues.

1 wifi does not work.

2 Bluetooth devices stops to work. I tried with mouse and keyboard. To get it work again I need to restart computer or take out the usb dongle and put it back again.

do I need to have a dongle that comes with the devices, or is it possible to use devices without dongle and use them with wifi card bluetooth? Maybe it is some signal problems from the wifi card N7260 and USB dongle that are arguing.

0 Kudos
kDybo
Beginner

Please I need my Bluetooth. Why is it freezing. My mouse and keyboard works fine on other computer but not on nuc. Is the Bluetooth dongle getting signals from the wifi Bluetooth?

0 Kudos