Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel Wireless-N 7260 fails to connect WLAN and Bluetooth with Windows 8.1

MWell4
Novice

Hello Community!

I recently bought a Lenovo T440s with an Intel Wireless-N 7260 Wireless and Bluetooth chip.

The device is amazing, everything went fluently. I updated all the drivers, the BIOS, my software and uninstalled the waste, like cloud saving services, games and so on. Everthing was perfect until i updated to Windows 8.1.

Since this update, the Wireless-N 7260 won't work properly any more. The internet is not available directly from the OS startup, I have to wait several minutes. My Bluetooth mouse has abrupt failures for several minutes, works then again, but only for 10 minutes approx.

I also tried every driver and ProSET-version from forum threads I read from people with similar problems. The last try was the actual version 16.7.0, but also with that version it won't work.

I am pretty desperate right now, because the notebook itself is one hot ass piece, and I love to work with Windows 8.1 also.

Please Intel, tell me what to do, or even better, release a driver that works!

125 Replies
idata
Employee

I just installed Windows 8.1 back to my Thinkpad E440 and install the latest WiFi driver 17.0.2.5 from lenovo site. For 2 days with moderate use, i didn't get any disconnectivity issue again. Hibernating, sleep, and disconnect / connect wifi to other access point work flawlessly.

So far latest driver solve disconnection and limited connection problem. Hopefully also for the future.

Will keep you posted.

Thanks

0 Kudos
DSper
Novice

In my own case I would classify this issue resolved. I haven't experienced any "limited connectivity" since I updated the driver 2 weeks ago. << thumbs up !>>

I hope others experience the same success

0 Kudos
RMadi
Beginner

We purchased several Dell Inspiron 15R's (10) and Latitude E5540's (8) this year. All contain the 7260 card and exhibit the same problems listed here. I will try the latest driver and report back.

0 Kudos
LMoss
Novice

Joe,

Are you suggesting that a newer Proset WiFi driver could improve Bluetooth performance? I had assumed that would require a new Bluetooth driver.

I too am suffering occasional Bluetooth device dropouts. (Toshiba Z35 Windows 8.1)

0 Kudos
RLerz
Beginner

Hi Joe,

I got the same Problem on a Dell Inspiron 15 7000. The connection works for a limited time, then the speed breaks down and the ping goes up, including timeouts and connection errors. My other two Notebooks (no N 7260) work just fine. I installed Intel® PROSet Wireless Software version 17.0.3 for Windows 8.1 as you recommended, but the connection broke down, eventually. Turning off the HT mode, the connection has been working fine for almost 15 minutes. I will continue testing this configuration and tell you, whether it works or not.

0 Kudos
ICust36
Novice

I've tried this new driver for wifi for two weeks, and the problem of casual disconnection still here. Always the same but not so often like before. Sometimes the power of signal (my computer is always in the same position), goes down, in this moment the connection doesn't work for something like 5 minutes, and without doing anything, it restart to work. The problem is that it is completely random, there isn't a particular situation in which it does not work. So sometimes it can disconnect once in 3 hours, other times it disconnects 6 times in an hour. This thing is creating many problems, especially when sending video files to work. This time, I assure you that you have really disappointed me.

PS: the problem of random and total disconnection of bluetooth devices remains.

Please solve this problem or make a withdrawal season with replacement of these devices if the devices are the problem, because those who work here, from intel is expected reliability.

Greetings to all

0 Kudos
RMadi
Beginner

After installing the 17.0.2 driver on select systems, no issues reported. Now the systems I installed this update on are running the latest version of Windows 7 Pro. From reading here, it appears that most of the problems occur while running Windows 8/8.1.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

LesMoss and arclite, I read in this thread some people were commenting about WiFi issues as well as with Bluetooth. That is the reason why I posted the latest driver for WiFi; however, a new driver for Bluetooth will be released soon. I will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
LM5
Beginner

this is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE

I have the same problem on a lenovo E440

the computer is all but unusable since 9 times out of 10 it will not connect to wireless LAN after resuming from sleep

my wife uses this computer and she simply cannot work with it

this is such a huge disappointment. I have tried all driver versions, nothing works.

a disgrace, Intel

0 Kudos
TJoer
Beginner

Same problem here with the Intel Wireless-N 7260 on my MSI motherboard.

Was the reason I chose this motherboard, seems I made a bad mistake.

Please fix this Intel, almost took a hammer and smashed my new PC because of this very irritating problem.

0 Kudos
ICust36
Novice

I think isn't a motherboard problem, it's an Intel driver problem.

0 Kudos
DTonk
Novice

This problem continues to plague me as well. I have an HP Zbook 14 with the stock 7260, and out the box the drivers worked just fine. Oh, maybe once every few weeks it would seem to slow down and I'd quickly toggle it on/off with the switch and everything would be better... but about a month ago HP automatically updated the WiFi drivers... and ever since then, it's been hell. There's only about a 15% chance it will reconnect after waking up from sleep - otherwise it just sits there trying to connect over and over again, never getting anywhere. And even when it is connected, if I do any serious data transfer it starts getting slower and slower. Hitting the laptop's "disable wireless" button doesn't fix anything. Rebooting does.

I have found something of a workaround, though. I've created a shortcut on the desktop to the network connection. When I have problems, I right-click and select "disable". Perhaps it's because of the HP utilities, but this only disables the card for a second - and then it's automatically re-enabled and it connects to my AP 100% of the time.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I apologize for the trouble.

New drivers for WiFi and Bluetooth will be released soon. We will keep you informed.

0 Kudos
XGonz1
Beginner

I don't think the problem is the drivers. it is the card. I have a Sony ultrabook with windows 8.1. This card never worked right, the wifi and bluetooth are were always erratic. this card is just not configured or made to have good reception, only works when is next to the router. I have installed a netgear usb wifi dongle and this and it works great. Your card is the problem, not the driver, not the computer, and definitely not win 8.1. You guys need to redesign the card, thoroughly test it and offer outraged consumers like me a replacement, instead of putting out low quality gear.

I suggest that anyone with the problem try a usb dongle, I guaranty that will not have the same problem. And that will prove that the card is no good..

0 Kudos
KFied
Beginner

I had the same problem on Windows 7. Here's my solution desribed in other thread (post # 70):

0 Kudos
JKoh4
Beginner

I am facing the same issue with the Intel Dual Band n 7260 adapter. I am using an Acer Aspire S3-392G. I solved this by using a wifi dongle, it works flawlessly now. I tried every other method I could find on google but only this works. Hope this helps and when will Intel solve this issue?

0 Kudos
JKoh4
Beginner

I came across this post by AndyTurfer on the Microsoft forum and it seems to have solved the Intel wifi card problem for some users.

"A "workaround" that worked for me was disabling HT mode:

1. Open Control Panel | System Security | System.

2. Open Device Manager on the left hand side of the window.

3. Click on Network Adapters.

4. Right-click on Intel Wireless 7260, and click on properties.

5. Click on Advanced Tab.

6. Click on HT Mode and then select "disable" (or "off" - can't remember what it is now).

You lose some throughput, but at least you'll have a reliable connection."

Let me know if it works for you guys...

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
0 Kudos
rgord1
Novice

These new drivers may improve matters with 7260 wifi (I don't use that) but they have mucked up bluetooth in Win 7 Professional 32bit. The new bluetooth drivers result in errors in device manager, and drivers cannot be rolled back. Only solution is to restore the system to an earlier time.

Has anyone successfully updated both wifi and bluetooth drivers for the 7260? Any MS system?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

raymondjpg kindly provide more information about your issue. We would like to know:

• The exact wireless adapter model; you may share the part number if available or the hardware ID from the details tab in device manager.
  • The driver version you are updating from.
  • The exact error showing up in device manager.

Any possibility to provide screenshots is highly appreciated.

0 Kudos