Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 - slows

SGowr
Novice

Hi,

I have a problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s (802.11n -> 802.11b?).

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem (now I have ,16.6.0.8). Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Windows 7 64bit Professional on Lenovo Z510

Sorry for my english.

301 Replies
KNawa
Beginner

I'm waiting for the update for Intel Wireless N 7260 issue, any update for the new drivers since we are facing the same issue on 100+ laptops.

0 Kudos
PMans
New Contributor I

I recently received an email having raised a support ticket with intel:

For your information, there has been a recent release of new software and driver for this wireless card which may help with your issues.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm?wapkw=intel+proset/wireless+software http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm?wapkw=intel+proset/wireless+software

They also told me to install an attached file to get some diagnostics. Unfortunately they forgot to attach the file, or offer a link to it:

If the most recent driver update does not work, then please install the tools in the attached file and provide the log files and the completed Wifi checklist, also attached.

1. Install WRT 4.2.0.4;

2. Run WRT as Administrator and start log capturing;

3. Run WiFiTool as Administrator and start log capturing;

4. Reproduce the issue;

5. Stop WiFiTool;

6. Generate WRT log and stop WRT utility;

7. provide 4 files back to us: WiFiTool log, WRT log, Windows System Event log and the completed WiFi checklist.
0 Kudos
KNawa
Beginner

I tested the most recent drivers but no luck so far. I'll give shot to the below points tomorrow morning, but what are these tests for?

1. Install WRT 4.2.0.4;

2. Run WRT as Administrator and start log capturing;

3. Run WiFiTool as Administrator and start log capturing;

4. Reproduce the issue;

5. Stop WiFiTool;

6. Generate WRT log and stop WRT utility;

7. provide 4 files back to us: WiFiTool log, WRT log, Windows System Event log and the completed WiFi checklist.

0 Kudos
PMans
New Contributor I

> what are these tests for?

> 1. Install WRT 4.2.0.4;

I can only guess that it's a diagnostics tool... but they didn't really say much about it, and since they didn't provide the diag, I can't work it out for myself.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

It is recommended to disable channel bonding for 2.4 GHz. Please make sure the channel width is 20 MHz.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/cs-025343.htm Wireless Networking — How to configure 802.11n channel bonding on Intel Wireless adapters

0 Kudos
TLoga
Beginner

Hi Joe,

I've been following this for several weeks. I have an Acer S7-392 with an Intel N7260 card and I have all the disconnect and slow speed issues others mention including the indication of limited connectivity. Using a Comcast Arris box and can get over 60 Mbps on my Sony Viao that is 3 years old. The new Acer gets 10-20 Mbps. I've tried all the fixes suggested in the previous posts, updated to 17.0.2 driver. I also have the Bluetooth issue where the Microsoft mouse disconnects and I have to go to the Bluetooth settings and manually reconnect. I'm running Windows 8.1.

Any further progress on resolving these issues? I've had the Acer for 11 months and it's a good machine except for this N 7260 problem... This problem is very frustrating and doesn't serve Intel as a stellar example of hardware operability.

0 Kudos
RA6
New Contributor I

have you tried installing

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24220/eng/Wireless_17.1.0_e164.exe&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=24220 Wireless_17.1.0_e164.exe

and installing these Bluetooth drivers

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24191/eng/BT_17.1.1406.01_e164.exe&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=24191 BT_17.1.1406.01_e164.exe

I would also suggest making sure you have a dual band router with the most up to date firmware. Also make sure you are connecting to the 5Ghz range of the dual band router.

0 Kudos
TLoga
Beginner

I opened the Device Manager and located the Intel N 7260 and noted a 16.6.1 version driver. I'll try the update... but as for the BT 17.1.1406.01 download, the Bluetooth has a later version 17.1.1428.1 dated July 9 2014. Should I roll the update back to your suggested version? I had previously applied the suggested update for the N 7260 with no help. Still had dropping and slow downloads of about 13 to 1/2 the speed of my Sony Viao. I read that a roll back to a much earlier version would solve the problem. Has anyone had success with going back to 16.1 or so?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

acers7-392, do you mean you installed the wireless driver 17.1.0? Did you try disabling uAPSD and upgrading the router's firmware?

Does the issue happen with a different router/network?

0 Kudos
DJaff
Beginner

Hi

I have a question about the Intel N7260 in my ASUS computer. I've been having problems similar to those described by others in this thread (WIFI just stops working, sometimes restarts itself,but frequently requires reboot). However, my driver version is only 16.5.3.6. According to one of the notes at the Intel website, this predates use of the u-APSD, or at least I don't have a setting for it in my advanced settings for the device. Do I have a different problem or is it just that the older driver doesn't have the option to disable the u-APSD? If I'm having the same problem as others, do you recommend the 17.1.0 or the 17.0.6 driver version (another thread seemed to say people were having more luck with the 17.0.6 version).

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

I have been having nothing but problems while traveling with my HP 210 G1 and the N7260.

I just installed the newest Intel 17.12.0.4 and seems to be working so far with default settings.

http://necacom.net/index.php/intel/8612-intel-proset-wireless-wifi-software-version-17-12-0-4-whql Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software Version 17.12.0.4 WHQL

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

dmjind, you can try either one: 17.1.0 or 17.0.6. Both have support for uAPSD.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

0 Kudos
TLoga
Beginner

Latest... I tried a new gateway and wireless router. Same issues... the Sony Viao hits 58-60 MBps while the Acer crawls at 17 MBps when near the new equipment. Side-by-side in my office 30 feet away the Sony did 38 Mbps and the Acer did 5 MBps. Even close to the old Comcast Arris box, the Acer was still 1/2 the speed of the Sony. Here are my current N 7260 settings:

Acer S7-392 manufactured Aug 2013

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260

Driver date 7/21/2014

Driver version 17.1.0.19

Advanced

802.11n Channel Width for 2.4 GHz Auto

802.11n Channel Width for 5.2 GHz Auto

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11 b/g 1

Ad Hoc QoS Mode WMM Disabled

ARP offload for WoWLAN Enabled

Bluetooth AMP Enabled

Fat Channel Intolerant Disabled

GTK rekeying for WoWLAN Enabled

HT Mode Disabled

Mixed Mode Protection CTS-to-self Enabled

NS offload for WoWLAN Enabled

Packet Coalescing Enabled

Preferred Band 1. No Preference

Roaming Aggressiveness 3. Medium

Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect ...

0 Kudos
DHopa
Beginner

This is good stuff. Those unofficial drivers are actually working. All the official are not.

I have a lot of 19 laptops with that card. The uses could not logon to domain because it was not connecting to wi-fi. Only troubleshooting was helping if you were lucky.

The laptops are now connecting to wi-fi within 15-20 sec from logon screen.

0 Kudos
DHopa
Beginner

I forgot to add:

• I changed channel bonding on 2.4GHz network to 20MHz
  • Left HT On
0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

the unofficial drivers didn't work out for me. Luckily I had a USB wireless adapter with me and got that to work while traveling.

I will try all your settings, most likely will swap the card out with something else.

0 Kudos
DHopa
Beginner

That's not good. I tried the newest official with those settings and they didn't work.

Generally I gathered some information from this forum and worked out those settings. If you switch HT off may get stable connection but up to 54Mbit - not good. It seems like the card has issues on N standard and 2.4GHz band.

The swap would be my next step if I didn't manage to get it stable. But I have 19 of those laptops and I would go through manufacturer.

0 Kudos
JSaud
Novice

This is still an issue? Really? I had nearly forgotten about how problematic this wireless chip was as I went to Dell and explained the issue to them. Of course Dell claimed that their "engineers" thoroughly tested the hardware profile, but I told them I either need a new wireless card or a laptop switch. Given there was no other wireless card available for my unit besides the 7260 (genius move there, fellas), I had my laptop switched out entirely.

I have had literally zero problems with my current laptop, which has an Atheros chip. Not trying to probe at Intel here as I've had a ton of success with Intel chips, but the failure with the 7260 chip is wildly frustrating to the point it's almost laughable.

I stand by my stance that Intel should be recalling these chips and offering users having trouble the option to switch out, free of charge, for something that (wait for it)... actually works.

0 Kudos
MM18
Beginner

Hello,

Here's a solution which worked for me. I use Lenovo z710, windows 7 64-bit.

1. Uninstall old wifi drivers.

2. Unnistall Lenovo Energy Management.

3. Restart computer.

4. Install 17.0.6.1 drivers from intel site. (only drivers)

5. Turn off wifi (if connected automatically)

6. In wifi card settings:

- change ad hoc channel to the same as your router

- turn off U-APSD

- turn off energy saving option (last tab)

- ht mode on

7. Restar computer

After doing this my download speed increased from 5 Mb/s to 60-70 Mb/s.

MFisc8
Beginner

I'm on the 17.1.0.19 drivers. I did disable power management and that got me up to 35 mbps. What really helped was when I simply disabled UAPSD my speed shot up to 120 mbps! This is the max that service level from my Comcast Blast! gives. My wireless is just as fast as wired. I do connect on 5.2 ghz.

The only problem I have with the wifi is that if I put the computer asleep and then wake it up the Intel card stops working. I have to disable and re-enable to fix that. Not the end of the world but still annoying. Any tried and true fixes for that?

My other problem is that the Intel Wireless Bluetooth gives and error code of 43 and says that windows has disabled this device. Drivers are 17.00.1428.1. Its the only Bluetooth device showing however if show hidden devices in device manager I also see Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator and Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator (both say they're working fine). I'm wondering if maybe those are tied to the original Broadcom wireless card my system shipped with which was now replaced by the Intel AC 7260. Maybe I should uninstall those and they re-install so that recognize the Bluetooth in my new card? Does anyone have any suggestions to get it working?

1. 5 GHz
  2. Windows 8.1
  3. All networks
  4. About 10 other networks in my neighborhood show when I'm in my house are visible but have low signal strengtht and all are on 2.4 ghz whereas I'm on 5.2ghz so there is literally no interference!
  5. Happens all the time
  6. Disabling UAPSD fixed it - wen't from 35 mbps to 120 mbps!
  7. Acer v3 772g-7448
  8. I upgraded to the AC 7260
0 Kudos
JFerr19
Beginner

I have the same problem on my Samsung laptop with the Intel 7260NGW AN chip. When I use the 17.1.0 drivers and shut down the computer and then restart it the 7250 stops working and I have to disable and re-enable it. I dropped back to the 17.0.6 version of the drivers and that problem went away.

I do still get poor download speeds when I connect my laptop to my Comcast Arris 7G862 router but it works fine with two other routers that I have.

0 Kudos