Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7439 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 - slows

SGowr
Novice

Hi,

I have a problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s (802.11n -> 802.11b?).

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem (now I have ,16.6.0.8). Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Windows 7 64bit Professional on Lenovo Z510

Sorry for my english.

301 Replies
PMans
New Contributor I

and if jonathan_intel's suggestion doesn't work, find an Intel 6235 card version that your Lenovo's BIOS will accept and replace the card and don't look back.

0 Kudos
alevc
Beginner

I have bought dell r15 5537 laptop with intel wireless-n 7260 and I faced same problem with slow speed (router is Asus RT-N15U). But funny is that after 2 days of fighting with windows 7, windows 8.1 dozen of drivers - I found the culprit in my case.

When laptop lid is closed - the speed is 1-8 mbit. When it is open - everything's ok.

(I use external monitor, keyboard and mouse).

This laptop has aluminium lid. Just for test I wrapped opened lid with foil. The same result. 1-8 mbit. So the problem in my case was closed lid where is placed wi-fi antenna.

I have installed latest driver via intel update tool (Wireless_17.13.11_s64.exe)

0 Kudos
MGres
Beginner

Hello,

My router supports only 2,4 Ghz (i am on 20Mhz). Curently on channel 6, using 806.11 g/n. Authetication WPA2-AES.

I think I should give my point of view for this situation. I have tested all the drivers from 16.0.5.3 to 17.13.11.5 (Latest). First I tested those driver without changing settings with bluetooth (with latest driver). None of those driver worked. Tested with and without ProSet. Some had dropouts other low connection speeds (from 1Mbs to 54Mbs and even witzh 54Mbs slow download speed via speedtest.net). I have also tried all the settings I have found on this and other threads (u-ASPD, power saving, HT mode, different channels, turned all the windows power plants to MAX). Then I finally found out that some of drivers have drop-outs because BLUETOOTH connection is turned on. So I uninnstaled the driver for bluetooth and turned it OFF. So there was another round before me- testing all the drivers again with bluetooth off. So I found out that the most stabel connection (speed and drop outs are with driver 16.0.5.3 and 16.5.3.). Driver 16.0.5.3 gave good connection 72Mbs (good download and upload speed via speedtest.net), command proopt netsh said my connection is 54Mbs (on 806.11n, 96%). And with 16.5.3 I had the same connection speed 72Mbs and good speed via speedtest.net. On this driver netsh shows 144Mbs connection (80%). But this driver seems to have problem connecting after sleep. So I am currently on the first driver from 2013!!!! It is still the most stable one. And I can even stream videos with this driver.

Wwith all the drivers 17+ i have low connection speeds. With some drivers 17.1.+ i could have both connections ON (Bluetooth and Wifi) but the connection speed varies a lot and it is slow (from 1Mbs to 144Mbs). Slow results on speedtest and unable to stream videos via Wifi.

But if I turn on Bluetooth my Wifi connection drops and don`t want to connect anymore. As soon as I turn OFF Bluetooth I can connect again. I think that this is a serious driver problem that Intel should have solved already. I don`t know if I should send my computer to service since it is obvious that it is a driver problem. Can please somebody advise me what to do to heve both connections.

My system:

Lenovo Z710

Windows 8.1 (x64 and all updates)

Intel Wireless-N 7260 (installed by Lenovo)

The issue apears on every network I've connected to so far.

2-4 AP`s are broadcasting in my area

Please I need some help with this issue. It is driving me crazy

Thank you

0 Kudos
MGres
Beginner

I forgot to add that on newest driver disabling or turning OFF Bluetooth does not speed up the connection.

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

Hello Miha,

As you mentioned, the WiFi connection may be affected when using Bluetooth since they both work on the 2.4 GHz band and may receive interference from each other.

In addition to the workarounds you have mentioned, please consider the following aspects:

- Each Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software, has a "companion" version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology, using the proper version will prevent possible compatibility issues. Please check the following document for more information.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034940.htm Bluetooth Software Compatibility with WiFi Software Versions

- We advise to get the drivers from your PC manufacturer, as they may include customizations. As second option, you can try the generic versions from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3713 Intel Download Center.

The Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Bluetooth® technology version 17.1.1411.01 was recently released, and it includes many fixes for Bluetooth connections. This BT driver is compatible with the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers version 17.14.0.

- The Wireless Driver 17.14.0 should not have any problems resuming from Sleep. With this release, you can set the Power Management feature in the driver to "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

- In some cases, users have had success by setting a different Wireless channel in the 2.4 GHz Wireless router, as this may prevent wireless interference with the Bluetooth component.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You can check the specifications of the Intel® wireless adapters from the following links:

The new adapters are essentially M.2 form factor and provide support for new versions of Intel® AMT and Intel® WiDi, and improvements in power consumption.

0 Kudos
JE2
Beginner

I just bought a new Lenovo U530 laptop with the Intel Wireless-N 7260 adapter and the wifi connection is very slow, i updated the drivers and still the same problem. What is going on with intel and this adapter. Why don't you guys do a recall on these adapters, there no good. I have a dell laptop and the connection is blazing fast. Is there any solution hiding somewhere at intel?

0 Kudos
JE2
Beginner

I changed the channel on myrouter from Auto to channel 9, and guess what, I now get 12mb-20mbs, a little better but my dell laptop went from 25mb to 69mb down after the channel change. Thinking I am just going to return my laptop if Intel is unwilling to provide support.

0 Kudos
MSven1
Novice

Quick edit on this post. The previous solution I had reference roaming aggressiveness didn't work well. That being said, what IS working for me is a modification to the security settings. I switched from AES to TKIP and it I have had NO issues at all.

Right Click on the network connection you're having issues with (e.g. HOME-..., MyWiFINetwork)

Go to Properties

Under Security, change Encryption type to TKIP.

I've been using this for a few days and I have yet to have a disconnect.

0 Kudos
PMans
New Contributor I

the problem is mostly with the AC-7260 when connecting to non-AC access points.

EIGHTEEN pages of discussion and still only work-rounds and mitigation strategies, and no help for linux users.

My desktop PC is due an upgrade; I had been budgeting $225 for an Intel core-i5 processor ++ $more on an intel chipset motherboard, not so sure now, what if I have problems?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

You may want to try Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 17.13.11

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software Downloads

TWitt3
Beginner

I have been having a lot of problems with slow connection and inconsistent connection lately, i have a lenovo ideapad u430 touch with intel 7260n adapter. I updated my driver to the latest version 17.13.11 as recommended but i cannot connect to my wifi network with this driver, i have tried adjusting the advanced setting but nothing help. I always have to rollback to and old driver to get it to connect again.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

tylerw, what is the security encryption you are using?

0 Kudos
APong1
Beginner

I am at wits' end. I've been at it for 14 hours now.

It was actually working fine before a windows 8.1 update came along. I don't know what Microsoft did, but my once happy laptop experience became a nightmare.

Now I need to get close to the router just so I could have a stable connection.

This is just absolutely frustrating since I use my laptop for gaming.Prior to the update, I could play online games just fine on my table. Now I can't even get past my the character select screen. It's definitely the wireless card, because I have a portable router in the same location as my laptop, and everything works properly (connected via LAN cable).

I have literally tried everything that I can, but I just can't seem to make the 7260AC go back to the way it was. I've refreshed my laptop, restored it to factory settings (going back to windows 8 from 8.1), and practically done everything that all the users recommended in this site.

I just don't know what to do anymore. I have an Asus N550jk. The router I'm connected to is only 2.4Ghz, the encryption is TKIP/AES. It shouldn't really matter since it worked with the same settings before some windows 8.1 patch made it break.

I really just hope that Intel solves this soon. I have always liked Intel products. Now I'm not really sure.

0 Kudos
ACrue
Beginner

it goes against my principles to recommend this, but it worked so well I must help by offering it.

I purchased a dual band router and hung it off the Xfinity router.

i have excellent throughput anywhere in the house.

I can run streaming audio or video (hbo go, showtime anytime, you tube, netflix) without interruption or buffering, on either 2.4 or 5 ghz.

I am a gamer but because I am on the road I am not gaming with this connection.

While we should not have to buy something to fix this problem, it ended my frustration, and I finally appreciate what my new laptop has to offer.

It is clear that the problem has something to do with the Xfinity router as well as Intel's inability to write a driver to compensate for a router that so many people have in their homes.

Best Buy suggested that I try the router, based on their knowledge of Xfinity routers and the fact that if it didn't work I could return the dual band router, no questions asked.

I have yet to try this laptop on Uverse, but next week I am heading back to where the Uverse router connection will get tested.

If you can buy a router under the same return policy conditions, you might do as I did and give up on waiting for Intel to resolve this.

As with problems in interfaces, you are dealing with many variables. Looks like you bring W8.1 into the interface as yet another suspect component to be taken into account.

I am running 8.1 from the time of my purchase so I wouldn't have known that difference.

The plot thickens!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Mondie, did you try a system restore or try to identify and uninstall the Windows* Update that caused the issue?

0 Kudos
APavl7
Beginner
  1. Hi everyone, I have found the only solution so far to overcome speed dropouts on some Intel Adapters, including Intel Dual Wireless adapters. If you have noticed speed dropouts while using Intel's wireless card while downloading torrents and other stuff this is the solution for you. Straight to the point, in order to stop speed download dropouts, you need to go to control panel/device manager/double-click you intel wireless adapter/click advanced settings or just advanced. You will see somewhere there an option called "THROUGHPUT BOOSTER", DISABLE it. Until Intel fixes this option in their drivers or graphic cards, this is the only temporary solution that worked for me so far. Many new modern laptops and pcs are affected by this illness, which is a pity. Greetings from Sofia, Bulgaria. J
0 Kudos
BPeh
Beginner

Just to share my experience.

I have 3 devices, 2 with Dual Band N 7260 and 1 with N 7260. Had problems connecting to my home internet from the start. Symptoms are dropped connections, limited connectivity and unable to connect to network. Windows Network Diagnostics could not help.

After almost 12 months of troubleshooting, finally got through to the D-link (the router I use) guys and they told me to change my wireless router channel.

Seems to work for now, will continue to monitor the situation.

0 Kudos
bbbca
Beginner

I have update the latest driver, 17.13.11.5 from intel website, the wifi becomes faster. Before update, it usaually got 25-35mbps, after update, I got 55mbps. However, the wifi drops problem still did not fix. I encounter this problem at least 3-4 times a day. Sometimes it will suddenly disconnect the wifi, and cannot reconnect. I have to restart my notebook to reconnect the wifi.

Yesterday, with the new version driver, the laptop has disconnect the wifi for 3 times within one hour. I was sooooooo frustrated. what's wrong with intel? why cannot fix this issue for a year???

0 Kudos
bbbca
Beginner

Intel, please........ the speed of this Lan card to ok. All I want is a stable connection, no drop speed, no disconnect plsssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

0 Kudos
SDiga
Beginner

Exactly the same problem.. Here is the solution that worked for me

For all the people facing issues with Intel Wireless 7260 or Intel Wireless Dual Band 7260 ac cards. This is for laptops .. I don't know about desktops

I had a Yoga 2 Pro 8.1 64 bit and Intel Wireless 7260 was giving problem for connection speed and at speedtest.net . I attacked everything from my ISP -> Modem -> Router -> Laptop --> to wifi card spending 100s of hours.

There is no option but too change your cards

The steps to get it right without frustration ....

1) Get back your system to the drivers and conditions that it was before.

2) Do not install any drivers beyond 17.0.XXXX on your machine for any reason ( The Lid closing /power off issue. The card gets disabled)

3) Intel 7260n won't work whatever you do.

4) Go to this link http://amzn.com/B00GUNZUG0 http://amzn.com/B00GUNZUG0 and buy a 7260 dual band ac card ( Note this is for Yoga 2 Pro ). Dell etc may be different.

5) Buy a good quality Torx and Phillips screw driver set ($20 to $25) .. don't buy a cheap set as it would shear and you may have to run to get a new one in middle of the replacement.

6) Search your tube for replacing card fr your particular computer

7) Replace the card. with your battery disconnected. DON'T CHANGE ANY DRIVERS that came along with your original machine.

8) Restart the computer. ( Bluetooth won't work), Uninstall driver and Restart the machine.

9) The Lid closing issue exists in 17.1xxxxxxx.... 17.1 is getting re installed ...uninstall and delete the driver (checkbox). This will get you back to your original driver that came along with machine. YW

0 Kudos