Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7448 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 - slows

SGowr
Novice

Hi,

I have a problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s (802.11n -> 802.11b?).

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem (now I have ,16.6.0.8). Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Windows 7 64bit Professional on Lenovo Z510

Sorry for my english.

301 Replies
AAnke
Beginner

Hi all-

This seems to be the defacto thread on the interwebs for Intel 7260 slowness. Just got a brand new Asus 303LA Zenbook and was shocked to find I was getting 2-3Mbps via speedtests when my two other Asus laptops average 20Mps+ on wifi. I used info here plus other sites and via some magical combination I have now got this laptop performing the same as all my other wifi devices in the house.

Home Router is a Linksys N300

I'm using the Intel ProSet Utility + Driver 17.1.0.19

I updated this magical combination of settings to get full throughput on my connection (connected at 300Mbps and 20+Mbps download speeds)

In Advanced Driver Settings:

HT Mode = HT Mode Only

Preferred Band = Prefer 2.4Ghz Band

Roaming Aggressiveness = Highest

U-APSD support = Disabled

All other settings were not touched. Good luck to you all!

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

<<<strong>HT Mode = HT Mode Only>>

VHT for me.

0 Kudos
kmad
Beginner

It's obviously a faulty card, i mean , so many people with THE SAME problem, i just hated i found out this way, my asus gl551 is AMAZING , but this wireles adapter kinds fucks it all up, why even bother sell this, seriously, how did this ever passed any test, this adapter failed me since the get go, so lame intel... sooo lame

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Somadatintelbro wrote:

It's obviously a faulty card, i mean , so many people with THE SAME problem, i just hated i found out this way, my asus gl551 is AMAZING , but this wireles adapter kinds ***** it all up, why even bother sell this, seriously, how did this ever passed any test, this adapter failed me since the get go, so lame intel... sooo lame

It passes their test on one possiblity: it's lab controlled without any RF interference induced. As such, if it works and connects fine, it's good to go. If they do a field test on a extremely congested area, it would've been moot since there's a bias that due to RF congestion and because of that the connection isn't stable. Unfortunately, WiFi isn't a life threatening situation unlike vehicles so don't expect a recall at all.

0 Kudos
phase
Beginner

This worked for me...

My Yoga 2 Pro wouldn't download over wireless at more than 2 Mbps. Someone suggested disabling HT Mode in the driver's Advanced tab. This increased downloads to around 20 Mbps. The YP2 is connected to my 2.4 GHz network. It doesn't seem to support my 5Ghz network.

I also noticed that my iPhone 5s was getting about 2 Mbps when connected to my 2.4 GHz network, but 80 Mbps or more when connected to the 5 GHz network.

I checked the settings on my Linksys WRT 1900 AC router. The 2.4 GHz network was set to use "WPA2 Personal". I changed this to "WPA2/WPA Mixed Personal" and now I am getting 60 Mbps from the Y2P, which seems good enough. BTW - my iPhone is still only getting 2 Mbps on the 2.4 GHz network.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am glad you got it working but I am also intrigued. It should not be necessary to select a mixed mode for the wireless encryption unless you need to match it with the wireless profile in Windows*; for example if you are using AES+TKIP instead of AES only.

0 Kudos
phase
Beginner

Hi Joe. Unless I am looking in the wrong place, AES is the only option available to me when I look in Wireless Properties > Security > Encryption Type.

0 Kudos
IKind
Beginner

Hi fellow frustrated PC freaks!

I'd like to share my latest positive experience. The issue with driver 17.1. stopped working after sleep/hibernate (fix = disable and enable), has disappeared with the latest huge windows 8.1 update ( 700MB !!) best via "control panel", "Windows Update", "Optional" or direct via:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000850

My system = Lenovo Y510P with windows 8.1, N7260 (17.1.0.19)

Looks like it's not only an Intel problem with the N7260...

Two wishes to Joe (Intel):

1. This post has become very large. Is it possible to have a summary of issues, listing the recommended driver version with the recommended settings knowing it's not solving the problem, but at least avoiding to search the whole chat -18 pages now! - to find the best combination of driver and settings.

2. Can you -Joe- explain the difference to the new 7265 chip set?

I believe that most participants and readers of this chat won't mind to spend some money for an new WiFi card - having wasted so many hours with it already.

I understand you can't officially acknowledge a flaw in the 7260 chip, but I'm sure you can provide the difference and advantages with the new 7265 chip, right?

Kind regards

Ingo

0 Kudos
PMans
New Contributor I

I am hoping joe_intel will tell us how we can RMA our 7260 cards and to be replaced with a 7265. I am very lucky in that I got a 6235 off ebay for about GB£10 (about US$16)... I'd given up with Intel customer support playing games and not acknowledging there was a problem.

0 Kudos
DWill15
Beginner

I am very surprised to see that nothing has happened about the issues with the 7260 cards.

It's just crazy. Hearing of a new model is not at all reassuring.

0 Kudos
JE2
Beginner

yeah I am a bit shocked as well, look at how long this thread is too. I am going to try removing all the pro wireless software, drivers and install the latest and see what happens. Will post an update soon, hopefully with good results.

0 Kudos
JE2
Beginner

So I decided to try a few things before removing and re installing the software but will try this again in case I have other issues.

I modified some settings in the advanced settings of the adapter, (don't know why this needs to be done though) and to my shocked for the first time ever I received a 50+MB down, and 22mb up connection, here are my settings that I modified.

HT Mode = HT Mode Only

Preferred Band = Prefer 2.4Ghz Band

Roaming Aggressiveness = Medium

U-APSD support = Disabled

Ad Hoc Channel 802.11b/g = 9

Wireless Mode = 802.11b/g

Hopefully this helps some others, I checked again just before this post and it went back down to 26MB, and 32MB. Looks like I'm getting much better speeds now and possibly everyone is holiday shopping and causing the slower reported speeds. Will keep an eye on this.

0 Kudos
ASkyt
Beginner

Hey joe_intel

I've tried every possible solution - both from this thread and other places - but still no stable wireless connection.

I'm on a Lenovo S540 with an Intel Wireless-N 7269 with Windows 8.1. The issue emerged with the 8.1 update and I've not experienced ANY problems before this update.

What I've tried:

- Updating with different drivers - both latest Intel and latest Lenovo.

- Updating Wireless PROset - both latest Intel and latest Lenovo.

- Changing advanced settings: HT off, U-ASPD off, agressiveness etc.

- Changing power management settings

- Changing to different wi-fi channel

My driver version: 17.13.2.2 issued on 17th of november 2014

And before you advice me to try another driver: I've done so already.

Can you, joe_intel or other guide me to a solution of this problem? I'm sitting 1-2 meters from my wireless router and got 40-50 % signal strength (fluctuating) and when I'm more than 8 meters away I'm at 0-5 % signal strength. This can't be right!

The next step for me is to either downgrade Windows or return the notebook to Lenovo and never get a notebook with an Intel card again. I can't use the computer at work or at public wi-fi hotspots because I'm "too far away".

Thanks

Andreas

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We now have Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software 17.13.11.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24576 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=24576

However, the description of your issue makes me believe you have a problem with the antennas.

You should be getting signal strength of 80% or more when you are close to the router (1-2 meters).

0 Kudos
NOmla
Beginner

Some additional information; I have been struggeling with poor stability and slow speed on my new Lenovo Ultrabook Yoga Pro Laptop. Tried various configuration changes and I also upgraded to the latest drivers as mentioned above. My router is an ASUS RT-AC66U.

My last move (the solution) was to define a SID for a 2.4GHZ network in the router. Connecting to this network seems to have solved the problem. The speed is now 35/56Mbps matching my Internet Connection. Before selecting the 2.4Ghz SID the speed was from 0,5-6Mbps. So maybe the driver has some issues With 5GHz? Hopefully this can be fixed as I cannot configure routers not belonging to me just to get my Laptop up to speed,

Njål

0 Kudos
ACrue
Beginner

I have tried all of the above on two different laptops with no success.

I too will have to resort to identifying a brand that does not contain the AC 7260, if Intel fails to fix this before my BestBuy return time runs out, I will have to return my second attempt at a new laptop, because of the AC 7260 root cause.

It fails on the Toshiba P55w, and the Asus Q50 series. These are almost identical Intel based products.

Note that at the same time and location, I can do whatever fails on these laptops, with no difficulties on my Nexus 7 tablet.

So please don;t try to blame my access points (2 different ones by two different providers).

On the same access point my tablet runs the same selected stream audio all night with no interruptions,

(other than whenever the stream itself rarely causes buffering.)

When it hangs on these laptops, it often hangs so badly I must reboot to fail to try again.

How long can Intel get away with throwing this issue over the fence to us?

I have this problem on Xfinity, and ATT Uverse access points.

Luckily Asus added a wired internet, whereas the aforementioned Toshiba has only Wifi.

So to make use fo it I had to remain within 5 to 6 feet of the access point.

I have ten more days to return this Asus laptop.

Most manufacturers are not offering defined enough specs to tell me which Wifi card they contain.

But the ones I have considered for purchase alternatives all include the ac 7260 and I may have to refuse to purchase at this time.

Is Intel going to cause buyers to wait until another card by another manufacturer seizes this market space?

0 Kudos
TDrag
Beginner

Hi Joe,

I have an ASUS N551JK 125H with an Intel 7260 N Modul (Windows 8.1) and the latest Driver from Asus 17.0.6.1.

I had in the past also the latest Driver from Intel (Middle of Dez 2014, the Version No I don´t have in mind), either the standard driver from Microsoft 16.1 and the problem of loosing connection rate (at least 10 kb/s) was always reality.

Sometimes I had no problem, but some days I could throw out my new Laptop from the window. When I imagine, my old Dell Inspirion 9400 from 2006 with an Intel Card 4935 never had such problems like the Card from 2014/15!!

I have a Fritzbox AVM Router 7270 with the newest firmware and I´ve tried all the solutions written here in this thread, but the problem of low data rate is still there.

I can only resolve the problem, but restart the laptop (then the problem will come after some minutes or hours when i have luck) or i connect my samsung S3 phone by usb Tethering and then I can work perfectly.

I´ve written to Asus Support yet, but I think to solve problem, is the task of Intel.

0 Kudos
ASkyt
Beginner

Hi Joe and others.

Just reporting back on the issue of bad signal.

It was indeed a problem with the antennas. Confirmed and repaired by Lenovo repair service. So this was never a driver/software issue.

Others who are experiencing a similar problem, that is not fixed by driver updates, might want to send the device to your specific manufacturer for diagnostics.

Best regards

Andreas

0 Kudos
SDiga
Beginner

I have the same problem with the Intel wireless N-7260 on my Yoga 2 Pro . The connection speed drops significantly. No resolution from anyone Neither Lenovo nor Intel. No driver updates that work. Was the product sold knowing that the issue exists? Who should have the liability the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer who integrated the whole product ... not sure. Don't know what we will be doing in the future when cars will have too much software... looks like we may have to talk to Intel or AMD or someone

Intel Support Guys .... Tell me how to resolve this problem of send me a new card that works

0 Kudos
jbenavides
Honored Contributor II

We are sorry to know that your wireless adapter is not working as expected.

In previous posts from this and other forums, you can find some actions that have solved this issue for other users. The cause for this behavior may vary from system to system, so here are some of the actions that may be worth trying in this situation.

- Update the Driver for your Intel® Wireless-N 7260, you can use the version from your OEM, or the one from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProdId=3713 Intel® Download Center. The latest at this time is 17.14.0.

- Try using the settings noted in the advisory "http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm?wapkw=wifi+recommended+settings What are the Recommended Settings for 802.11n Connectivity?"

- Update the Firmware in your Wireless Router.

- For testing purposes, disable the Bluetooth Radio and check if the connection improves. This can be done in Windows Device Manager or with a switch in you laptop (if available).

0 Kudos