Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7481 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 - slows

SGowr
Novice

Hi,

I have a problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s (802.11n -> 802.11b?).

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem (now I have ,16.6.0.8). Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Windows 7 64bit Professional on Lenovo Z510

Sorry for my english.

301 Replies
NKraf
Novice

I recommend you recall this utter piece of poorly-thought-out junk already, how about that. I mean seriously, what is it going to take?

Don't you think users have already tried every system manufacturer driver by now? I know I sure did before I gave up entirely.

System manufacturer drivers...that's the best you can offer after a year? Wow....truly.

ACriv
Novice

..... TOTALLY AGREE WITH JAKOBKRAFT, HOW LONG IS IT GONNA TAKE FOR YOU INTEL TO ADMIT THAT YOU HAVE ISSUED A FAULTY ITEM ??? IS IT A GOOD REPUTATION SOMETHING STILL IMPORTANT FOR YOU ? EVERYBODY MAY COMMIT MISTAKES , BUT ONLY THE HONEST ONES HAVE THE COURAGE TO ADMIT IT AND REPAIR..... PLEASE JOE, DON'T ANSWER WITH ANOTHER FIRMWARE RELEASE.......

0 Kudos
JSaud
Novice

Indeed. A company that acts in a responsible, humanly way is a company I will go out of my way to support, despite any "bad blood" that took place earlier on. I've had issues like this come up before, but I will always let go entirely of any negative opinion I have in light of having a new, refreshed device that addresses the issues at hand. Sure, I may not get reimbursed for the multitude of headaches I had when I was using the faulty device, but that's not the point. Point is, if a company goes as far as to replace the problematic device, sucking up those headaches I had prior is something I am *more* than willing to do.

Intel, you are flirting dangerously close to the point of no return. Some would argue (and understandably so) that you are 10 months past that point already. If you cared about your customers, you would do something about this. Period.

0 Kudos
PMans
New Contributor I

I fitted an Intel 6235 card to replace the 7260, and my laptop's network connection has been totally solid since, using Linux, not tried Windows for long enough to be able to say. Been on it all evening and not had to disconnect/reconnect or rfkill the wlan0 interface at all, normally by now I'd have had to do that at least three times.

I didn't have to re/install any drivers for linux or windows.

When I removed the ac7260 card it was very tempting to smash it because of all my time it wasted! Maybe instead I will send it to Intel on a card with a message saying "take back your P.O.S.".

0 Kudos
ACriv
Novice

Hey guys does anybody own a Sony vaio multi-fit ? My model is svf13n2y9.... I contacted a Sony assistence center and they told me that it is not possibile to swap the 7260 card with a brand new one because it is welded...... as you can imagine from this post i have lost my trust in Intel

0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

Can you share with us the make and model of the laptop?

Is there supposed to be a 7265 soon?

0 Kudos
PMans
New Contributor I

A successor to the ac7260 called the 7265? Sure, there might be.

The only way I'd ever have one is because either Intel offer to exchange the defective 7260 for free, or I buy a new laptop and it comes bundled with one.

On this note, if it was just a small number of cards, Intel would surely have been swapping them out for free? I guess they have nothing useful to replace them with the moment, but I would have taken a 6235 instead.

My "new" Intel 6235 I bought and swapped in has been faultless.

The only "good" thing is they haven't been trying to suppress discussion here.

0 Kudos
FYuso
Beginner

Hi guys,

I own Dell Inspiron 14 5000 (5447). Bought it 1 month ago. It comes with Intel AC-7260. Had a lot of issues on performance. Call Dell and finally after 3-4 visits, they replaced my AC-7260 with AC-7265. They even gave me AC-3160 and Dell -1707 (Atheros) card for spare. AC-3160 is better than AC-7260 in performance on N networks. But the AC-7265 is much better. With the new card, so far, it is very much better than 7260. I have driver 17.1.0.19. It doesn't disconnect, doesn't disabled after waking up from standby and have a better throughput performance for download for both N on 2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz. Did not test with AC as I haven't an AC wifi router. I am using Asus RT-N66U wifi router. If you own Dell, please call and ask for replacement, Free of charge. As long as you are within warranty periods. I could not try N-6235 as it does not comes with M.2 PCIe 2230 option. I believe that is the best option for N network. My laptop uses M.2 interface for WiFi. On the side note, my HP laptop with Ralink WiFi card outperforms Intel card anytime for N network.

Just to let you guys know.

0 Kudos
DKish
Beginner

I bought this card on Amazon a couple of weeks ago and installed it on my Asus G750JX, installed the latest dirvers 17.1 I think and everything seems to be working OK, I had no disconnects, working mostly on 5 Ghz with a Netgear R6200 AC Router.

Internet up & down speeds are great... the problem comes when I try to transfer a file to my file server connected with Cat 6 to the router...

File transfer speed tanks to well below 1Mbps, it stalls, have to pause it and re-start it several times and wait almost a day for a 600MB file to copy.

My laptop is using W8.1, and my server 2012 R2...

Before I had an Atheros N card, and would get 5-20Mbps file transfers, I thought that by updating to the AC card those would go up, until I stumbled into this thread.

I'm starting a warranty claim with Intel

0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

Now we have:

17.13.0.9 WHQL

all at neacom.net

going to try a couple of these and see what happens. using Win7 x64.

0 Kudos
PJ_
Beginner

I have the same problem with Vostro 5470 and its Intel 7260. Wifi works very slow, ~1 Mbps in places, where other laptops have 20 Mbps.

Dell's technicians visited me three times. They changed laptop case (twice), back cover, keyboard and some of the cables and connectors.

On the last visit I've demanded new network card - Intel 6235anhmw. Unfortunately it didn't resolve problem. Works exactly the same like Intel N 7260.

Tried everything, every official and unofficial driver.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Try changing the AP and and the adapter to a non-Intel wireless adapter and see if it fixes the issue.

0 Kudos
PJ_
Beginner

Today I've tried couple of others network cards - from Atheros (AR5B93), AzureWave and Intel, but also didn't work properly.

Seems to me that Vostro 5470 have some design/construction flaw.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I would definitely try safe mode with networking to see if other services / other device drivers (.sys) are screwing up the Wi-Fi drivers. Check and see if problems persists in safe mode so we can elminate the software issue.

0 Kudos
PJ_
Beginner

Thanks for the tip. Seems that it's not a software issue - wifi in safe mode works exactly the same.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

That laptop maybe cursed lol. It's the first time I've seen a laptop not working with ANY WiFi cards out there (be it Intel or non-Intel). I'd get a refund for that lemon.

0 Kudos
PJ_
Beginner

It's very unfortunate, because it's the only 14" laptop in that price range that meet my requirements. I think that not only mine, but all Vostro 5470's are cursed - I've read dozens of similar topics in couple of languages. Even on Dell forum there are many topics regarding wifi issue, like in http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19540469 here. Guy from Izrael got second laptop for a replacement - didn't help. I just don't get how manufacturer can offer flawed laptops for almost 1,5 year and don't do anything to fix that. They don't even acknowledge the problem.

0 Kudos
PJ_
Beginner

I find it quite funny that - on Intel forum - only advice to solve wifi problems is to change to a non-Intel product.

Thought about it already today. Maybe I will negiotate another network card with Dell, but calling to their support and explaining them EVERYTHING once again, for the fourth time in a week, will be very frustrating.

0 Kudos
IKind
Beginner

Hi frustrated folks.

I thought the problem was solved with driver version 17.0.6 and disabling the U-APSD, but not really. To INTELs credit I have to admit that the WiFi speed doesn't drop anymore to ridicules 1 Mbps, but it remains at about half the speed of other WiFi cards deliver, all my tablets and smart phones and a ASUS K550L laptop with I5 and a Raylink WiFi card, providing 4 to 6 MBps, while N7260 is just 1 to 2 MBps for a large file transfer.

Speed comparison done at exactly the same location, about 40 ft away from the router. Same OS Windows 8.1 64 bit - and Android for the smartphones.

And yes I experience lately as well that the N7260 had been turned off by Windows, due to "Error 43". Disable it and enable the N7260 does the job, until the next "sleep".

To complete my observations, Lenovo replaced the N7260 card - same model but strange enough a different first part of the MAC number. Seems INTEL has more than one hardware manufacturer with different first three sets of MAC address: old one started with FC:F8:AE, new one starts with AC:7B:A1

Finally my question: Is it fair to assume, that INTEL acknowledges a flaw in the N7260 and therefore came out with a new version as the N7265 ? Has anyone heard of a problem with the new N7265 card?

Before I try to switch I'd like to hear some others experience.

Thanks

Ingo

0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

so far this new driver seems to be working well for me. i put my machine to sleep and it comes back and works, also transferred i couple large files and seems to work. i have not tested the speed, but it went fast enough connected to my plain 'ol Asus RT-N16 with Merlin software.

i will try to test is more tomorrow.

http://necacom.net/index.php/intel/8725-intel-proset-wireless-wifi-software-version-17-13-0-9-whql Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software Version 17.13.0.9 WHQL

0 Kudos
tstob
Novice

my last post is not going due to a link i posted i guess. go to necacom.net and get the 17.13.0.9 WHQL drivers, working well for me so far. need more time to test.

0 Kudos