Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Intel® Wireless-N 7260 - slows

SGowr
Novice

Hi,

I have a problem with Intel Wireless-N 7260. The card works just fine, but after a few minutes transfer slows down to about 4Mb/s (802.11n -> 802.11b?).

I tried with all drivers and always have the same problem (now I have ,16.6.0.8). Sometimes the card loses connection and I must reset it.

Windows 7 64bit Professional on Lenovo Z510

Sorry for my english.

301 Replies
BRak
Beginner

As a test, I've setup a Ubiquiti UniFi AC. I've connected via 5ghz with HT mode enabled with no issues.

This problem seems to be confined to 2.4 ghz N connections. I'm not sure if that helps anyone.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Can you guys confirm devicenull's statement about the issue only happening in 2.4 GHz?

Also, does it affect to have Bluetooth* or 802.11n enabled/disabled?

0 Kudos
CBruy
Beginner

I've been having this problem with the N 7260 as well, and have been watching the forums closely. I hope this helps: During my most recent wifi drop, I tried disabling my Bluetooth drivers: Personal Area Network + RFCOMM Protocol TDI. This improved things - I had a fast connection for about fourty minutes, but then it slowed down again (had to reload this page a few times just to log in). I'm not experienced enough to test the other variables you've listed, but if that can be done in just a few steps, I'd be glad to give it a try. If this info isn't helpful, let me know and I'll go back to quietly watching!

0 Kudos
TBoci
Beginner

It doesn't matter in my case. Just ask about anything you want, any parameter value which helps you to solve this problem. I attached my statistics.

0 Kudos
AFica
Beginner

The only way I found to solve the problem with Bluetooth + Wi-Fi was to lock my router on 5 GHz. Now my connection is locked at 300 mbps (max for my D-Link DIR 628) and no problem with Bluetooth mouse.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

ADRStudio wrote:

The only way I found to solve the problem with Bluetooth + Wi-Fi was to lock my router on 5 GHz. Now my connection is locked at 300 mbps (max for my D-Link DIR 628) and no problem with Bluetooth mouse.

That wouldn't be possible outside of home where the WiFi is only 2.4 GHz.

0 Kudos
BRak
Beginner

For further testing I've set up this page: http://blog.devicenull.org/connectiontest/ http://blog.devicenull.org/connectiontest/ After you click 'Start Clock', it'll test your internet connection every 10 seconds until it sees a failure three times in a row. I'm trying to find out if the disconnects happen consistently at a certain time, or randomly. I still have some more testing to do (with bluetooth and other features disabled).

0 Kudos
DSlim
Beginner

Helo. In My Lenovo Z510 with Intel N-7260, when I diasable 802.11n on my router and work in standard g (54 Mbps) everything work fine When I enabled standard "n" (150Mbps) my conection slows to 11 Mbps and Internet dosen't work. I have new drivers from Intel site and I try another but still is this same problem. I have in my home two others notebook without intel wireless card and everything works ok even in the standard n.

0 Kudos
NChua5
Beginner

i have the AC7260 and have been experiencing intermittent lag spikes. i tried what you guys did with only using 5ghz and it has not worked. i even limited the router as only N and changed to HT mode. My signal strength is very good (-33db). Probably also persists on 2.4ghz only.

i hope this eventually is solved.

0 Kudos
rroot1
Beginner

This is ridiculous!

Things I have tried so far and failed:

1. Switching ON/OFF HT Mode

2. USB Power mode

3. PCI Power mode

4. Disable Power Management

5. Bandwidth 40 to 20

6. Force G mode (cannot even hold 56mbps)

7. Switching Channels

8. Changing drivers, and updating to the latest version

I am not sure what else is there for me to try...

Forgot to add this: I have Samsung Ativ Book 9 Plus (NP940X3G) with Intel Wireless N 7260 Dual Band.

Nexus 5, Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Note 2, Dell Venue 8 Pro, iPad Air, Macbok Air 2013, Retina Macbook Pro 2012, all of which without Intel Wireless work fine with the very same router at 50mbps/50mbps. This laptop slows down to 1mbps for no apparent reason and stuck at that.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are aware of a similar issue that we expect to be solved with our next driver release; however, reading through the recent comments it could be the cause of the issue is not the same for everybody.

0 Kudos
PSvar
Beginner

Dear Intel,

I have the same issue like colleague above: I have tried too the same choices and they failed:

1. Changing original Intel drivers, and updating to the latest version - no progress

2. I have updated Microsoft driver and it is better, only one disconnection after one day and night connection

3. Switching ON/OFF HT Mode

4. USB Power mode

5. PCI Power mode

6. Disable Power Management

7. Bandwidth 40 to 20

8. Force G mode (cannot even hold 56mbps)

9. Switching Channels

Forgot to add this: I have Lenovo Yoga 2

Up to this Yoga with Intel Wifi card purchase I had no problem with connection of anything.
0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

A new driver will be released soon; we expect it to solve a similar low throughput issue.

0 Kudos
BDyrd
Beginner

I am still having issues with the newest driver and software released 8(?) of may. The download speed goes down to about 100 kb/s and making it impossible to stream.intel_admin

0 Kudos
IKind
Beginner

Dear Intel,

normally I'd say thank you for your support. But be honest the issue with the N7260 is going on for about 6 months and no solution in site.. very disappointing !

I've installed the latest driver 17.0.2.5 but still same problems with my new lenovo Y510P.

Is Intel working on that or hoping they get some ideas from the community???

I read some time ago the issue can be solved with a new router. Can somebody comment on that please? Or provide a link?

Ingo

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee
Is Intel working on that or hoping they get some ideas from the community???

Both, we are working on these issues but we need more information from the users because we need to study the environment and possible causes for every case.

If you are willing to troubleshoot with us please report your issue here: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/emailsupport.htm http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/emailsupport.htm

0 Kudos
IKind
Beginner

Joe,

I'm all yours... tell me what you need, data, test, ..

My equipment:

"old (8 years)" Sony Laptop, some desktops (=all Win7) and a new lenovo Y510P (win 8.1) with the "problem N7260"

router= Telus modified Actiontec V1000H

Just loaded the new 17.0.2.3 driver, same issues as before:

being very close =3 ft to the router all ok

as soon the distance is 30 ft (in home no doors, just one neighbour with WiFi, speed varies 5 to 144 MB.

speedtest.net starts slow = 1 to 2 MBps then goes up to 10MBps

connection to local NAS is frustrating because the initial dir listing takes forever, even sometimes with "program no response", then file transfer is slow below 1mbps.

Experience on the road:

Before driver version 17 could not get connections at some airports.

But even with 17.0.1 connection at friends home was not funny, even screwed their network while downloading files. other devices lost network connection, had to reset their router.

So tell me what you need from me...

Ingo

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

IngoK, are you using 2.4 or 5 GHz? Can you put the same 30 ft distance between the computer and the AP but with direct line of sight between them? Just for testing, no obstacles; please let me know.

0 Kudos
IKind
Beginner

Joe,

using 2.4 GHz. Tried days ago with 5GHz until I found out, that lenovo installed the simple version with NO dual band only.

I had used a separate cisco router WRT 320N. I had done testing in the 2.4 band, but with very similiar results as with the Actiontec router. But I can do another test, if you like...

Did the 30ft testing again - there are no doors in between anyway, just an open doorframe towards the kitchen. (Any interference with kitchen appliances??). Anyway I've placed the devices in direct view to the router antennas.

Did parallel testing with a lenovo tablet.. Results from speedtest.net download/upload, provider Telus optic with 15MBps

3ft 30ft

tablet 16.4 / 3.4 8.5 / 2.9

N7260 15.9 / 2.8 1.85 / 0.27

Ingo

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Interference caused by kitchen appliances? It is known that microwaves, baby monitors or even http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423604,00.asp routers with USB 3.0 can cause it, but I doubt it is the case if you tested with the tablet in the same spot.On the other hand, an internet speed test is not the same as WiFi throughput test but I can tell the difference in your results. I have sent you a PM.

0 Kudos
GBals
Beginner

I am extremely frustrated.

Acer is oblivious to the issue.

Acer Aspire V7-482PG

Intel N 7260 AC

Windows 8.1 UPDATE - AND Windows 7 Ultimate

I've tried all drivers and settings, turning BlueTooth off, etc...

I'll be buying a different wireless card from another manufacturer, and will post a complete review once installed.

Intel should issue a recall on this defective card. I haven't had these sort of issues since dial-up and AOL.

UPDATE: I just purchased a Dell DW1703 wireless card with an Atheros chip and Bluetooth for $9 on eBay. I'll post a review soon.

UPDATE 6.25.2014: I was finally able to get the 7260 to work by reverting to Windows 7 Ultimate, which is unsupported by Acer. It has been working for several days now without incident, but I will monitor this and keep you all posted.

Trial and Error: I uninstalled the 7260 from my laptop and began using a USB wireless stick, it was a Cisco Wireless G adapter. This worked perfectly in Windows 8.1. When the Dell Wireless 1703 arrived I quickly installed it, and it sort of worked. It wasn't very fast, 54mbs, and the profile wouldn't save in Win8.1, meaning everytime I would restart it asked for the wireless password, and it wouldn't let me view any of the wireless settings, for when I tried, it would disconnect. I then GAVE UP on Win8.1 and installed Win 7 Ultimate, and tracked down each driver individually, it was a pain, but seemingly well worth it. Everything works great for me on Windows 7, and I didn't have to download any firmware for my router, or do any special magic dances...

I also purchased an Intel 6205 per the advice from one of the posters, I'd like to see how fast that one is at some point, but for now I'll just enjoy the working laptop.

Is this an Intel problem, or a Windows 8.1 problem?

UPDATE 7.3.2014

The 7260 kept disconnecting, so I uninstalled it.

I installed the Intel 6205, and have been without issue for over a week. The issue here is definitely the card. It's not the laptop or Windows 7 or 8, it's the card. I don't think that Intel will be able to remedy the issue with a driver, as it has been a known issue for some time, and Intel has not been able to fix it. I think a recall on the card is in order, or perhaps a class action law suit whereby the wireless cards are replaced.

I must say for those of your considering another wireless card, installation is as easy as playing with Legos. It usually takes a small screwdriver, and that's it. Different wireless cards can be had for cheap on ebay, usually less than $10.

I recommended that anyone having an issue with their 7260 should install a different card and be done with it!

0 Kudos