Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel Wireless-N 7260 speed decrease

WYing1
Beginner

I am having a problem on my laptop (Dell Inspiron 15 7537) where I can connect to an AP at the proper speed (at home let's say 300 Mbps) and then after a few hours, the connection speed drops to a low speed varying between 2 Mbps up to 12 Mbps. My wifi connection does not appear to drop or disassociate from the AP, it simply appears to slow down. Resetting the adapter or rebooting the machine restores the speed and then the problem recurs. This happens with completely different types of APs at home (ASUS RT-AC66U) and at work (Cisco AP). Running Windows 8.1, latest Intel wifi drivers. Any clues as to how I can track down and solve this issue?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Wendelly, does it take the same amount of time for the issue to occur after you restart the system compared to the time needed after the system is turned on for the first time? In other words, does the issue appear more often as long as you keep using the computer during the day?

Was the adapter originally preinstalled by the manufacturer?

0 Kudos
WYing1
Beginner

I am not sure of the timing. Yesterday I was using my laptop for most of the day and I had to reset it at the end of the day. Today, using it work, had to reset after 2 hours of use. I do not shut down my laptop; just suspend between use.The adapter was pre-installed by the manufacturer.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Perhaps it is happening after the system resumes from sleep … Have you considered contacting the system manufacturer? It could be a hardware issue.

0 Kudos
WYing1
Beginner

I seemed to have resolved this issue by going into control panel, and then uninstalling the Wireless-N 7260 adapter repeatedly until it reverted to the original Microsoft network driver. I then re-installed the latest Intel driver only - no PROSet application - and the network connection is now stable.

0 Kudos