Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7424 Discussions

Intel ax211 compatibility with CNVIO2 sockets

3Fees
New Contributor I

I found this out on Asrock site as information is missing on Intel site on compatibility of AX211 with CNVIO2 sockets

by Chipset

HM 300 Series cnvio
HM 400 Series cnvio2 , ax201
HM 500 Series cnvio2 , ax201
HM 600 Series cnvio2 , ax201, ax211

Intel 10th Gen CPU, 400 Series

Intel 11th Gen CPU, 500 Series

Intel 12th Gen CPU, 600 series

So if you have 10th or 11th Gen CPU you can only use ax201, Intel AX211 has no backward compatibility.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
1 Solution
3Fees
New Contributor I

Hi Scott:

From what little information there is about these , it appears the chipset is the difference, I have ordered an AX211 for the 6E yet I dont believe I'll even install, I'll just send it back.  look at HM500 series , Intel  posted in the wifi area AX201 only.

From intel:

HM470 integrated wireless ---Intel® Wireless-AX MAC   cnvio2

HM570 integrated wireless--   Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201    cnvio2

HM 670 integrated wireless--Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211(Gig+)   cnvio2

So there it is, its chipset dependent  600 series runs with 12th gen CPU, Intel said already ax is not dependent on CPU so that leaves Chipset !

I have 10th Gen i5 10500H, HM470 chipset and the laptop included Intel AX201 and connects all the way to 2.4Gb/s,, I'm running a connection right now of 1.2Gb/s and wifi 6 modem, looks like 6E wifi modems are going to be a flop because of limited market, also the AX211.

As far as Killer and AX411 with Dual connectivity, I have no data on that.

Why Intel made the AX210 with 6E for AMD and left out Intel buyers from AX211 with 6E is completely a mystery, seems like a huge marketing  error by Intel.

I doubt Intel can correct this for 10th Gen and 11th Gen Intel owners unless they see the light and make a AX211 compatible with 400 and 500 Series chipsets. Time will tell , more likely people whom have invested in 10th and 11th Gen laptops and Mobos will probably wait 5-7 years and get WiFi 8, 9, or 10 with a new laptop or mobo and just call it a day on Intel Wifi upgrades for 400 and 500 Series Chipsets.

Cheers

3Fees

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not sure that this is correct (BIOS can make or break compatibility) - and it certainly doesn't take all adapters into account. @Ronny_G_Intel, can you get the LAN group to provide you with a verified matrix for all adapters (including Killer)?

...S

3Fees
New Contributor I

Hi Scott:

From what little information there is about these , it appears the chipset is the difference, I have ordered an AX211 for the 6E yet I dont believe I'll even install, I'll just send it back.  look at HM500 series , Intel  posted in the wifi area AX201 only.

From intel:

HM470 integrated wireless ---Intel® Wireless-AX MAC   cnvio2

HM570 integrated wireless--   Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201    cnvio2

HM 670 integrated wireless--Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX211(Gig+)   cnvio2

So there it is, its chipset dependent  600 series runs with 12th gen CPU, Intel said already ax is not dependent on CPU so that leaves Chipset !

I have 10th Gen i5 10500H, HM470 chipset and the laptop included Intel AX201 and connects all the way to 2.4Gb/s,, I'm running a connection right now of 1.2Gb/s and wifi 6 modem, looks like 6E wifi modems are going to be a flop because of limited market, also the AX211.

As far as Killer and AX411 with Dual connectivity, I have no data on that.

Why Intel made the AX210 with 6E for AMD and left out Intel buyers from AX211 with 6E is completely a mystery, seems like a huge marketing  error by Intel.

I doubt Intel can correct this for 10th Gen and 11th Gen Intel owners unless they see the light and make a AX211 compatible with 400 and 500 Series chipsets. Time will tell , more likely people whom have invested in 10th and 11th Gen laptops and Mobos will probably wait 5-7 years and get WiFi 8, 9, or 10 with a new laptop or mobo and just call it a day on Intel Wifi upgrades for 400 and 500 Series Chipsets.

Cheers

3Fees

0 Kudos
Jocelyn_Intel
Employee

Hello, @3Fees.   

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities. I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped.  

If you have inquiries about compatibility, you need to check this directly with your Computer Manufacturer as this depends on their designs since most likely the limitation could be on the motherboard's side. You can confirm this information in the following article: Minimum Processor Required to Use Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200

Note: This article applies to any Intel® Wireless adapter. 

It is worth mentioning that Intel does not support wireless integrations (installing a different wireless adapter into your system/laptop). We recommend you speak to the manufacturer of your equipment for support on wireless integrations and replacement parts to ensure compliance with the regulatory requirements of your country and support. It is important to check for compatibility with the motherboard manufacturer, as there could be certain cards that will not work with the system.  

For more information, read the following article under the title "Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade.

Please, keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. Thank you for your understanding.  

Best regards,    

Jocelyn M.    

Intel Customer Support Technician. 

0 Kudos