Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7456 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
jcunn4
Beginner

Hopes dashed - still needs occasional reset

0 Kudos
HT1
Novice

My god Intel has to be the most incompetent Company in recent ages. How the hel can you screw millions of customers with those problems??? It's been more than a year since ou Heard about the problem and your Q3 fix did absolutely NOTHING and now you plan a new one for Q4 what is so hard to get right???

I have had Broadcom NICs and Atheros NICs none of them stuggled like these pieces of shit(2230, 7260 AC)

Get your shit together Intel seriously, you lose customers on such small problems that I don't even know if I have to laught or cry

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Don't include the 7260 on your ****list of struggling Wi-Fi adapter. I run the 7260 on a Sandy Bridge HM65 laptop and I get excellent range, signal, link speed and throughput at home (2.4 GHz) or at campus WiFi (5 GHz). I upgraded from a Centrino Wireless-N 1000 BTW which keeps disconnecting me from my campus WiFi when there are a lot of nearby clients connected to the router / access point especially at the library.

0 Kudos
HT1
Novice

Do a search on these forums and you will see why included my 7260 into this, the problem exists on that NIC too, now the thing is that maybe you got a good combination between having a perfect 7260 and a compatible router but my 7260 and Asus AC router is NOT coping well at ALL!

You could provide us with some help on what to do to get better speed. As of right now my 7260 is only getting 15mbit/s conneced to an Asus AC router with my 200mbit/s Connection and that is not acceptable.

My 2230 however just became functional after posting the comment I have been testing in hours now and I may have found a good solution - not the best but a good one.

As a stresstest I streamed 2 high bitrate 1080p videos from Gamersyde(super high quality game trailers) simultaneously and my bandwidth was looked on 60-80mbit/s all the way through which is a pretty good score for the 2230.

Settings that were applied:

IPv6 was disabled

802.11n channel width for band 2.4Ghz = Auto

802.11n mode = Enabled

Ad hoc Channel 802.11b/g = 11

Ad Hoc QoS mode = Wmm enabled(in router too)

ARP Offload for WoWLAN = Enabled

Bluetooth AMP = Can be disabled or enabled doesn't really make a difference in my case(unless it is used I advice you to disable)

Fat Channel Intolerant = Disabled

GTK Rekeying for WoWLAN = Enabled

Mixed mode Protection = RTS/CTS Enabled

NS Offload for WoWLAN = Enabled

Roaming aggresiveness = 4/5

Sleep on WoWLAN Disconnect = Disabled

Transmit Power = 5 highest

Wireless Mode 3 802.11b/g

So I don't know if these will work for others but this is actually the first time since I bought my new Envy 15 that I have had good speeds 50-80mbit/s

Driver version used is 15.9.0.5 because that is the one that works best on my laptop. The ms drivers wasn't as good as it was on others in the forums - the Connection kept dropping out.

Power management options should all be set to never turn the device off or let it sleep that is crucial in this.

0 Kudos
JLuke
Beginner

I am sure I've went through these. What really baffles me is the fact, that there is a problem, happening in laptops being sold right now and nobody cares! The usual response from Intel is "try to change something on your router" following by "Next driver maybe helps". Over and over again. This is unacceptable. Tonight I'll test it with Ubuntu, I've read somewhere that under LInux the NIC works as it is supposed to do. Connecting to 802.11N router standing behind 12cm thick paper wall with power at best at 2bars is too bad.

0 Kudos
DLori
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I solved the problem while Intel is developing a new driver version. I done the following steps:

1- Uninstall McAffe software!

2- Install the last drivers from Intel

3- In the panel Control --> Hardware and Sound --> Power Options. Select "High Performance"

I'm working during 2 weeks and the wireless works perfectly.

Note: the "High performance" plan configures the wireless adapter settings (you can found it into Advanced settings tab) as "maximum power"

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

I also have adellinspiron15r, buttheupdate doesnot change much. Ialwaysrandomandinvoluntary disconnections. HopefullyIntel willactuallywork onthis problem.

I practically wifi disconnect every 2 minutes while I'm 3 out of 5 bars. I'm really starting to get tired, you really need Intel fixed the problem for Dell Inspiron 15r Windows 8.

Victor

0 Kudos
SMhet
Beginner

Hey what do you mean by last driver? Which version?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
PM5
Beginner

Same issue, dropping connection etc. ( Dell 5521, Centrino 2230, Windows 7 )

I have written about it many times -> /thread/31090?start=810&tstart=0 on this forum. 56 pages same issue, all Centrinos have this problem. There are many forums about this issue.

I have had enough, I'm angry, sad, tired. More than one years Intel only promises and do nothing.

0 Kudos
JAert1
Beginner

After running the setup for the new driver, while checking the driver version it still states: 15.10.0.11. Have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

The driver setup includes multiple versions of drivers for their Wi-Fi cards. Even though the driver setup states 16.1.3, the actual drivers that are installed for the Centrino Series is 15.10 while for the 7260 series with the same driver setup installation file will show 16.1.3.1

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

hello,

try the following under Windows go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, left click on Change adapter settings. Look at the name of your wireless card for my wifi card: Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless-N 2230... etc.. Right click on Right click on it, properties, then look for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Click above Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Click it, then click Properties (right to uninstall). Top of Form 1

Click down on the Advanced ..., and then select WINS top right. Once this is done uncheck the box: Enable LMHOSTS lookup and check Disable NetBIOS over TCP / IP, confirm by clicking OK, and then restart the computer to confirm considered. let me know and tell me would this give your side.

Victor

0 Kudos
VMila
Beginner

hello,

try the following under Windows go to Control Panel, Network and Internet, Network and Sharing Center, left click on Change adapter settings. Look at the name of your wireless card for my wifi card: Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless-N 2230... etc.. Right click on Right click on it, properties, then look for Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Click above Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Click it, then click Properties (right to uninstall). Top of Form 1

Click down on the Advanced ..., and then select WINS top right. Once this is done uncheck the box: Enable LMHOSTS lookup and check Disable NetBIOS over TCP / IP, confirm by clicking OK, and then restart the computer to confirm considered. let me know and tell me would this give your side.

Victor

0 Kudos
MMorg3
Beginner

Hi,

I have a Lenovo P500, which I just purchased a few weeks ago. While on my University's WIFI, my connection drops constantly, pretty much every 30seconds to 5 mins. If I actually AM connected, it is wildly slow. However, I never have this problem at home. I checked the message boards for Lenovo and saw advice to just update the driver (Intel Centrino 2230n, as stated in the subject), which did not help. The fact that it did not drop at home, but did at school lead me to think, its not the computer but the Intel Centrino adapter that is the issue.

I then came here to see if anyone else was having this issue with the N2230 and I am both happy I know what the issue is, and disgusted that it has been OVER A YEAR AND THIS IS STILL A PROBLEM!!

What the heck Intel. How about some sort of workable solution? Even if includes installing a competitors network adapter(if it doesnt void warranty), you should at least suggest it. Do the right thing. I'll happily make sure I'll never buy an intel product again.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

I seem to be missing something here. The issue is being experienced on both windows 7 and windows 8, yet the new driver is only for windows 8?

I have tried to solve this issue on win 7/8 as it is experienced on both.

No dice.

Please do something... this is freaking ridiculous.

0 Kudos
MKowa9
Beginner

Ok, so I see that intel have putted new drivers for 2230, finally. Got rid of the old ones, uninstalled the entire software for WiFi, installed new one, everything was goin good... but when i checked the driver details, it says that 2230 is still using the 15.10.3.2.... EVEN tho' i used the software detection from the intel site, which told me that newest one 16.1.5 is on. Soooooo... eaither the drivers dont work, or I did something wrong, still havin' the connection dropouts problem, still pissed, still can't play normally. HELP!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Indeed, Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 16.1.5 has been released.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23169 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23169

Phreaq22, I am sorry you continue to experience the same connection issue; let's keep in mind there are other causes for connection drops as mentioned /message/190741# 190741 here. The driver version you provided (15.10.3.2) is expected for Windows* 8.

0 Kudos
TRemm1
Beginner

Hello everybody,

I have a new Schenker Notebook with the N-2330.

I'm able to connect to wifi, but not to ping:

I have installed the latest driver mentioned above for Win8 x64.

With an Ubuntu - Live - CD everything works fine and i have a very fast connection.

I have tried all the solutions mentioned in this thread.

Could anybody please help me

0 Kudos
DBrad3
Beginner

I created an account just to post this: I have a 6235 (but I hear it is the same issue across 3 different Intel cards). Super FAIL Intel.

I have been following this for months. I have not tried 16.1.5 yet. I have tried all manner of combinations up to the first release of 16...and nothing worked. Let me tell you what DOES work though.

First...I own a Samsung 17 " Model NP700Z7C-S01US. Besides the wifi issue, I still can't get USB 3.0 to work right in Windows 8. There is a supposed hack to use the Windows 7 driver to fix that, and when I feel like it, I will turn off driver signing and try it. Anyway, after a nightmare experience and my wife telling me she doesn't want the PC anymore, I decided to try one last ditch effort before getting an external USB wifi device, I found way back in the forums. Here is the fix, for anyone that wants it to work WHILE Intel either figures out the issue, or recalls the wifi module.

1. Uninstall ALL of the Proset Intel software. Do NOT keep any settings. I don't remember if it asks to delete profiles or what...but do it, if so. Keep nothing. Reboot.

2. Go to device manager and check your driver version. It should be- Intel, 12/30/2012 version: 15.6.0.19

3. Power management didn't seem to mater for me, but unchecking it makes the resume faster.

4. On the ADVANCED tab...you have to change a few settings:

802.11n mode - DISABLED

Ad Hoc Qos mode- WMM disabled

Transmit power- highest

The rest are default.

5. My max speed shown is 54Mb, BUT, if I hover over the network SSID while connected, it says it is 802.11n. I doubt that it really is..but Windows 8 thinks it is, only I max out at 54mb (G speeds)

After months of issues, the connection has been rock solid for 3 days straight. Thanks to whoever posted this like 25 pages back...so I figured while they work on the issue...I would post it again for someone else.

No widi, or real wireless N speeds...but hey, it works great now.

My personal opinion? The Wireless N portion of the hardware is defective, and Intel should recall all of these cards, and replace them with working devices.

BH4
Beginner

Does anyone still have this issue? I installed the newly released driver 16.1.5 released by Intel and still having the problem. Connection drops so randomly. I am running a dell Inspiron I5R on Windows 8.

0 Kudos
VSafa
Beginner

76. seems to have worked for me. Thanks so much!

Lenovo U410

W8 x64

0 Kudos