Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
MHoff8
Beginner

I'd volunteer. I have a 2230 card the keeps giving limited access to a user's computer and drivers have been updated. Removed, reinstalled, etc.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The information provided via private message was forwarded to our engineering department. Possible future contacts will be forwarded too.

0 Kudos
LBagl
Beginner

We just purchased 9 Lenovo P500 Touch laptops all with the apparently defective Wireless Adapter. It is very frustrating, I can't even keep them connected to the wireless long enough to download software. Everyone else in the office can keep their connection and have a stable connection to the Wireless except for individuals with this new computer. We sent 5 of the new Lenovo's to Geek Squad to be fixed (in doing a search someone mentioned that the leads were reversed) I just got the first one back today, and I'll be dammed; it still has the same problem. I also have a HP M6 with the exact same adapter, and it looses connection to the wireless as well. PLEASE, any solution to this problem would be so greatly appreciated!! I am the person that sets up computers for new employees and We have 9 computers that are completely unusable if they cannot connect to the wireless.

PS when I take one home and connect to my home wireless, the connection is just fine. I have updated the firmware for our Wireless Router in the office. Connection dropping only happens to those with the WirelessN 2230 card

I will be willing to test and provide feedback on drivers if it helps solve this problem.

one other thing -- 4 of the new Lenovo's were already assigned to individuals. We purchased USB Wireless adapters for those computers and their users have not complained since. They are able to stay connected ALL DAY just fine using the USB adapter

0 Kudos
JLuke
Beginner

Not exactly an ideal solution. I have to have one sticking out all the time, as Centrino is useless as anything else than a placeholder for real NIC.

0 Kudos
AB13
Beginner

There is a very long forum about this issue.

I've just met the problem with my Dell laptop using 2230 Intel card, when i tried update the driver to the ones Intel provide.(when was using Win8)

Turned out all drivers from 2013 are of faulty, making connection unreliable.

The original driver Win8 shipped with (think was from end of 2012, WHQL also) is working fine.

Unfortunately after you update to windows 8.1 you are screwed as the new 15.3.2 driver is the only one, which is not just unreliable, but also the Wifi card area on laptop become very warm since the update to Win 8.1 using the new driver. (while the system is idle, CPU, GPU at 1% usage, and not downloading anything)

At the moment only solution to use Intel 2230 Wifi Card without constant traffic problems (at 100% signal!) is downgrading to Windows 8 and using the driver it was shipped with.

I think they either fired the Wifi driver writer developer at start of 2013, or fidling with the NSA wireless tapping code modifications all year long. They simply cannot be this incompetent not being able to solve this issue all year long with this driver family, which is clearly driver related.

0 Kudos
MMate2
Beginner

Dear ,Joe_intel! My connection is too slow with dlink router (30Mb/sec internet) ..only 10mb/s and sometimes go down 3mb/s . What are recommend settings for N2230 with Windows 8.1 driver ( 15.10.3.2 )?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

This is the driver for Windows* 8.1: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23258 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23258

The recommended settings are basically the same across different operating systems.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/sb/CS-030709.htm Wireless Networking; What are the recommended settings for 802.11n connectivity?

0 Kudos
MMate2
Beginner

D-Link DIR 600 router is connected with upc fiber power 30 internet only 0.77 mb / s internet my speed (recommended by Intel configuration). The latest driver and the settings posted by victoriuos managed reaches 10-12mb/sec and sometimes falls 6mb/sec (sometimes get to next torrent break).

Sorry for my bad english.

0 Kudos
aolda1
Novice

Tried update, it still loses connection at least 10 times a day if not more. Twice this morning I've had to run the network adapter troubleshooter to reset the wireless network adapter, my laptop is HP ENVY 4-1101-sa previous laptop never had so many connectivity issues as this, in fact I can't remember it ever losing connectivity. There's lots of good help on this thread but attempting each individual solution, and theres a few, might cause more harm as this is a problem on different laptops. I'm now guessing it surely has to be the card itself, i'm not the most technically savvy user but i'm seriously considering just buying a new wireless adapter card as this has been going since I bought the laptop nearly a year ago.

0 Kudos
TLind7
Novice

Tried 16.1.5 drivers, still random disconnects during CCMP key rotations if 802.11n is enabled.

I don't know what Intel thinks they have fixed, but they have certainly not fixed this.

0 Kudos
TRoza
Beginner

Hi everyone! I have a problem with my Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230.

I bought a Sony VAIO sve14a1c5e one year ago and it works just fine with the internet connection and so. But when ever (I have realized this, kind of strange) I have some body who is visiting me and is using the internet by being connected to our wifi, I always get limited access and my connection drops all the time. This does not happen otherwise, but whenever we have somebody using our wifi in our home, only on my laptop I get limited access and my connection drops all the time!

Can Intel help me?

Also, if more information needed, I will post them in this thread.

0 Kudos
CLice1
Beginner

Hello. I have the same problem here with this network card. It's just annoying to dropthe connection with the new drivers. If I use the older drivers it goes well but not with Skype which I use frequently to talk with my family. Please Intel solve this problem as soon as possible, we are already several people having this issue.

0 Kudos
aolda1
Novice

Have now pinned network adapter troubleshooter to taskbar. I shouldn't really have too, should I? Going to try the roll back to windows drivers as mentioned earlier in the thread. Unbelievable.

0 Kudos
TDeSa1
Beginner

I'm also having this very same issue. Everything was perfect before the 'upgrade' to Windows 8.1

I've tried installing the latest drivers as Joe suggested, but nothing seems to be fixing it. I only wish my knowledge of computer tech extended beyond simply knowing where to go for help otherwise I'd take up his offer to submit data.

0 Kudos
TDeSa1
Beginner

It would appear that I have either fixed or lessened the frequency of the disconnects on my PC very dramatically. I'm going on 4+ hours of constant connection with no latency spikes (I spent the entire time playing League of Legends, so trust me when I say that a latency spike would have been immediately noticed).

Below are two screenshots containing most of the information that people seem to belive could be related to the connectivity issues:

http://i.imgur.com/zmAH1Es.png http://i.imgur.com/zmAH1Es.png

http://i.imgur.com/JP9pAnP.png http://i.imgur.com/JP9pAnP.png

Additional Information:

[pc] MSI GT70-0NC-008US

[os] Windows 8.1 64bit (all available updates installed)

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask me for additional info if it would help.

0 Kudos
TDeSa1
Beginner

I take everything back, my issues have not been resolved at all. I simply got lucky for a short time it seems.

0 Kudos
JSchm12
Beginner

Do we have any other update on this issue, Joe?

By doing some of the above I've reduced the frequency of the issue but I havent eliminated it completely...

My computer was working fine before the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

I've updated to all the most recent drivers and changed the wifi card to the recommended settings and nothing has solved the problem completely.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
jbb
Novice

I managed to solve the issue by getting a new router. Used a dlink router vs old netgear and internet didn't disconnect for a whole week. Went back to the old router and same issue.

Maybe the intel wireless card coupled with routers causes instability.

I have updated my versions firm ware of my router and its not dropping as much.

I am still running 15.6.1.6 driver

0 Kudos
cbuko
Beginner

This must be a joke. n 2230 is the worst wireless card i have. I guess intel does not care about us.

0 Kudos
BPina
Beginner

Is there any way we could light a fire under their asses? Intel seems to not give a crap about the users of this card. Class action suit perhaps? This is asinine; I have had enough of this barely-functioning hardware from "industry leader" Intel. My blood is boiling. I need this hardware to work so I can make a living. Surely I am not the only one!

0 Kudos
PM5
Beginner

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1m4xjh/intels_wifi_adapters_connectivity_issues_continue/ http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/1m4xjh/intels_wifi_adapters_connectivity_issues_continue/

I think many people will no longer buy Intel device.

I don't understand Intel, for them it doesn't matter and don't care people's opinion.

Most people haven't problem with the base driver of Windows 8. So there is a stable driver base, why not develop it further ? But in the meantime why is so ******* hard thing to make it available to download for Windows 7 and 8.1 users ? Is it a secret driver only for Win 8 users ? See how well it works together the Intel and the Microsoft.

This is no longer possible to understand, sometimes I just laugh and I don't care it's all a joke.

Message was edited by: MH.

0 Kudos