Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7491 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
TStid
Novice

Well, here I am, 4 days later and not a single dropped connection with my Atheros chipped Dell DW1703 WiFi card. I've left my laptop on since the 25th and every time I've come back to it, the WiFi was connected. No other changes were made to my router or my environment (smart phones, other WiFi devices, blenders, pets, etc). So clearly something is wrong with either the Intel 2230 hardware or the drivers. I should post this Intel 2230N on eBay for $10 and have it be a wash...but I'd feel bad for the person buying it and having to go through the same frustrating experience. Not to mention they'd probably think I sold them a defective WiFi card.

Now I think I can finally do my Windows 8.1 update and not have to worry about losing that Win 8 default driver.

, ask Lenovo if they offer any other brand of card as a warranty replacement. My 2230N was doing the same thing and most times using the keyboard FN + WiFi key reset would get it to reconnect, but sometimes I just had to reboot. Frustrating thing to have to do with a new laptop. I also had an el cheapo (9.99 from Microcenter) USB WiFi N dongle that worked great, but I don't like having it stick out of my laptop, especially when I move it.

To anyone else...good luck. I hope Intel figures out a fix but if they can't...well there are other brands that don't have this problem. Atheros, Broadcom, take your pick and all can probably be found on eBay for around $10-20 bucks.

0 Kudos
SLesh
Beginner

Thanks tstidham! It looks like a Dell DW1703 is doable on my Satellite P75-A7200. I have yet to find documentation that tells me how to swap out cards. In the process of looking I did encounter a pleasant surprise - the spare drive bay in the P75-A7200. I confess to not yet having exhaustively scanned the documentation and / or specs but I have yet to find mention of this bay or how to use it in any documents.

Has anyone else swapped out the Centrino wireless card on a P75-A7200 or any other laptop? is the Dell DW1703 the best game in town?

0 Kudos
TStid
Novice

How to replace wifi card: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdPOShcu_FE Replacing a Wireless Card - HP DV6-2010sa - John Tech Tips - YouTube

Shows having to remove the HDD to access the wifi card, which you don't have to do on your Satellite. The rest of the procedure however is spot on. Just make sure to uninstall any Intel Pro-Wireless software first from the Add/remove programs (or programs and features) control panel, then open device manager and uninstall the actual hardware (under network adapters and bluetooth hardware nodes). Just expand the hardware nodes, look for intel wireless or intel blutooth devices, right click them and choose uninstall. If prompted to also delete drivers, say yes. Shutdown windows, flip the laptop over and replace.

Just FYI, the Dell 1703 is only a 150mbps wireless n card. That didn't really bother me as the intel 2230n would only ever connect at a max of 167 anyway, and often showed sub 150mbps speeds. My other wireless N devices connect at 270 and 300 mbps though so not sure why the 2230 could never do it. So if you're looking for full 300mbps wireless n speeds, make sure the card you buy has that rating listed.

0 Kudos
TStid
Novice

Update, the Dell 1703 card is still working great, even after the Windows 8.1 upgrade.

0 Kudos
RMac1
Beginner

I bought a Dell DW1703 card on Amazon. I uninstalled any Intel Pro wireless software, then went into device manager and uninstalled the wifi and bluetooth intel devices. Shutdown and swapped the cards out. Upon rebooting, Win8.1 had already installed a generic driver for the Dell DW1703 card. I works great. Thanks so much to just swap out the wifi card and end this nightmare!

0 Kudos
TMcCl1
Beginner

Although I too replaced this faulty wifi card with one that worked, this should not be. As the person from Austraila has already said, "Unacceptable!"

0 Kudos
muyar
Beginner

Guys I think I found a solution after a month of trying.

I have Intel Centrino n 2230 wifi adapter and using in a Win 8.1 after an update over Win 8.

My problem was basically when internet traffic is high such as downloading the wifi was causing access point to stop or wifi was disconnecting. Anyway I tried almost every combination without any hope for a month. Now I by chance found a trick which worked after a whole day testing.

I tried it with downloading many large files and surfing at the same time. And it works great no drop occured. I would like you to try this and share your experience with people here.

Since Windows 8.1 doesn't have Windows 8 drivers. Follow these steps:

Go to:

http://support1.toshiba-tro.de/tedd-files2/0/wlesslan-20130110125054.zip

Extract this file into a folder. Now in the folder you extracted there will be a folder called Win864Drv. In this folder there exists a driver for Win 8 WLAN.

Now go to:

Device Manager-->Network adapters--->Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230 and double click.

Click on "Driver" tab then click on "Update Driver".

Now click on "Browse my computer for driver software".

Now click on "Let me pick from a list...."

Now click on "Have a disk".

Now in the pop up menu browse and find the folder Win864Drv you extracted before.

It will show one driver file and chose it. It will install wait a little.

Btw: In my settings at power management "Allow me to turn off this device" is disabled and 802.11n mode is enabled. And wireless mode is set as 802.11g. My router is using g. But I tried these settings before with other drivers of Win 8.1 and no success. I don't think this issue is about the settings. It is a driver issue. You can just leave your settings.

So just update your driver with which I provided the link and please let me know the results.

Best

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I did what you say but still the same issue exists I seriously don't understand my wifi card works well on windows 7 but on windows 8 I cannot use internet more than 10 minutes without drops. Hope next update will resolve the issue. And I must say that my old laptop that I bought in 2008 has Atheros Wifi adapter and It is working very well on windows 8, but my new lenovo y510p is not! Please, do your work Intel.

0 Kudos
muyar
Beginner

Dante_Sparda Could you please answer these questions?:

1- Are you using a wireless mouse?

2- Are you using a smartphone which uses the same wifi network?

If yes please turn off wifi for both(plug off wifi mouse usb), restart everything(router and pc) and try again.

Let me know if it works.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello myster, yes i am using wireless bluetooth mouse and also bluetooth gamepad. i have a smartphone. With the windows wireless driver 15.10.3.2 i have stable connection for 1 day. If I have any connection drop, I'll let you know.

0 Kudos
JBroo5
Beginner

I am also having this same issue in my brand new Lenovo Thinkpad, however it varies depending on which network I'm connected to. The problem seems to be that the card loses the access point occasionally and then it just can't find it again unless I disable and then re-enable it.

My solution was to use a Rosewell USB adapter (RNX-N100), and I haven't had any problems... Either the Intel card needs to be replaced by Intel, or another solution needs to be given, because it obviously is an issue with the card (or driver) and not the surrounding environment (like USB mouse or a radio transmitting device nearby).

There's my two cents.

Message was edited by: laserface

0 Kudos
JSleu
Beginner

Hi,

First I will describe my system :

HP Envy Dv7 Notebook PC

Intel® Core (TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz

The laptop contains the 'Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230' Wi-Fi adapter.

I updated to the latest available driver 16.7.0.0

The modem/access point I use from my internet provider : Compal Broadband Networks CH6643E Wifi 

voice Gateway

My internet supplier declares I have a 60 Mbps internet connection.

When I test my desktop PC with cable LAN connection, I reach a speed of 56 Mbps. I measured the speed with the internet speed test of my provider.

On my laptop with the Centrino I reach a speed of 3 to 10 Mbps, average about 8 Mps.

This means major Wi-Fi package loss!

I can surf the internet ok, but a package loss of about 85% is not reasonable to me.

There is something wrong with the Wi-Fi connection of my laptop.

Moving the laptop towards the access point has no influence. I mean within the reach of 1 m.

At first I thought it was an interference problem, but last week I bought a new Samsung Smart TV with internal Wi-Fi adapter. It is standing on the same distance to the acces point as my laptop.

The TV reaches an average W-Fi speed of 53 Mbps, and it is connected to the same access

point?

I tried al sorts of settings on the Centrino card that I could find on the forum and intel site. Nothing solves the package loss.

I installed the software 'inSSIDer 4'. When I view the signal of the access point on the laptop screen I can see it getting stronger when I move towards the acces point.

But the package loss stays more or less the same.

I read manuals on the internet to enhance the Wi-Fi and tried all sorts of things : Switch channels, change settings of the card, disable bluetooth, move the access point, move the laptop….

I contacted HP.

They checked the drivers. They where up to date. HP updated the

BIOS. But the problem is still not solved.

I opened the laptop to see if the antenna's of the Wi-Fi card are connected. That is OK.

Hope you can help me out to reduce the package loss to a reasonable 5 to 10%.

Greetings,

Picard

0 Kudos
SLesh
Beginner

Unless I am missing something, there is no alternative for those of us who do not have laptops that accept the old PCMCA (or whatever) cards but having a USB wireless dongle protruding from the machine and just waiting for someone to bump it or drop the computer - thus destroying both the dongle and possibly the laptop.

The next time I see "Intel (wireless) inside" I am going to look real hard before I leap.

0 Kudos
TStid
Novice

Not (necessarily) true World2Steven. The wifi cards are often in a Mini-PCI or Mini PCI Express slot and totally swap-able. Usually a small cover on the bottom of the laptop is removed, some clips or a screw on the card, two or three antenna wires and it pops right out. The problem is whether the laptop manufacturer has BIOS locked it or not (mostly HP). But that can be found out be googleing the make/model (like "swap HP DV7 wifi"). Also, some BIOS updates may expand accepted cards, or completely remove the restriction.

Check this link for your laptop: http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Networking-Wi-Fi/Satellite-P75-A7200-Wireless-Card-Upgrade/td-p/480457 Satellite P75-A7200 Wireless Card Upgrade - TOSHIBA FORUMS

Someone in that thread replaced it with a qualcomm chipped card with success.

Message was edited by: Todd Stidham&# 13; added forum link

0 Kudos
SLesh
Beginner

Anyone have any experience with this card:

http://www.amazon.com/Broadcom-BCM94321MC-BCM4321-802-11n-Wireless/dp/B00A2G4ZN0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top Broadcom BCM94321MC BCM4321 Draft 802.11n WLAN Wireless Dual Band PCI-e Card

To get dual band, the only other choices on Amazon at least seemed to be jumping back into the fire with Intel. Is their whole Centrino line rotten?

What about this one?

Intel Network 6235AN.HMWWB Centrino WiFi Card Half Mini PCI Express Advanced-N 6235 Dual Band Bluetooth

0 Kudos
PM5
Beginner

It is about 6235...

"Only" 1035 comments from the "satisfied" customers.

/message/225824# 225824 1,035. /message/225824# 225824 Re: Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

0 Kudos
PM5
Beginner

/message/227345# 227345 1,038. /message/227345# 227345 Re: Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

"We are preparing a class action lawsuit against Intel on this case.

If you are a citizen of the US and have been affected by this problem, please get in touch: intel_classaction[@]ethaniel.com

Please provide your name, zip code and a contact phone number."

6235 and 2230 Centrinos have the same problem...

0 Kudos
TMcCl1
Beginner

For those of you still experiencing issues with wifi connectivity in Windows 8.1 (intel centrino wireless n-2230) I solved my problem. I replaced the wifi card with a generic MSI 802.11 bgn 1T1R Mini Card Wireless Adapter. Everything works excellent.

0 Kudos
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

We are really sorry for the inconvenience on this matter. We will release a driver soon that contains important fixes. In the meantime I recommend you to install the latest version we have and run all windows updates:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23726 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=23726

Kevin M

0 Kudos
JWils14
Beginner

I've had the same problem. I'm on a Dell 7520 laptop with the Intel Wireless N 2230, and didn't have any problems to begin with. Last summer the connection started to drop and got gradually worse as I updated to Windows 8.1 from 8. Eventually the problem got so bad that I decided to restore the laptop to it's original factory settings, and then updated over the next week before installing 8.1 again. The problem continued, with drops occurring at one point within minutes.

I've come to the conclusion that the problem is both the newer drivers and Windows 8.1.

I've restored the laptop a number of times now and found that the original setup works better than the latest software with no drops before updating. My current setup is Windows 8 with the earliest driver 15.5.6.48 dated 04/10/2012. I've turned off automatic updates so that it notifies me of them, but I can vet them before carrying them out, so everything else is updated. I've had no drops for a week now with this setup, as I had before a few times. I'll keep you updated as time goes by.

Windows 8.1 will NOT let me install the earlier drivers, as it assumes I'm using a v.16 (?) Intel card so it's off limits for me right now. Hopefully Intel is examining the older driver and comparing it with the new ones so they can find out what changes have been made.

As earlier said on this thread, the Microsoft drivers do seem to improve connectivity from my experience, but this setup seems to work for me.

0 Kudos
SLesh
Beginner

I've had this problem from the day I purchased my Toshiba Satellite P75-A7200. It came with Windows 8 and I subsequently upgraded to 8.1. 8.1 MIGHT have made it worse but I don't think so.

For all you P75-A7200 owners out there...

Has anyone WITH A P75-A7200 replaced their 2230? If so, what did you use? Did you have trouble with the left connector?

0 Kudos