Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7645 Discussions

Intel centrino wireless-n 2230 keeps dropping connection.

idata
Employee

Hi I've been looking through some of the threads but i cant really find an answer to my issue.

I recently got my self a Dell Inspiron 17R SE and it comes with the Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230.

I cant really do much stuff on the internet or play online games as the internet keeps dropping out.

I have updated the driver and still nothing. I really don't know what else to do any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

some more information. I know its not the internet as my family can use there laptops/Games consoles without any internet issues.

256 Replies
PM5
Beginner

Dear Joe,

Where can I find the new driver description about fixes and enhancements ?

I'm interested in what has changed compared to previous versions.

Is it possible the bluetooth and wifi are in conflict ?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Patricia, at this time we do not have this information publicly available. We are aware of this request and it is possible that it will be included in future releases.

WiFi and Bluetooth* make use of the 2.4 GHz band but as I read most users did not encounter any improvement in disabling Bluetooth in their systems; however, you may give it a try.

0 Kudos
JK11
Beginner

Hi Joe,

Laptop: Dell Inspiron 15R SE (7520)

Wireless Adaptor Description: Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 2230

Driver version: 15.12.0.6

Platform: Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

With the provided 16.11.0 update my driver version has changed to 15.12.0.6 and now I am able to easily connect with my modem; however the IP address it got is in the range of 169.254.149.X. Hence I gave a static IP and DNS setting to the adapter to get the internet connection but still the internet connection alone drops at times. All the other devices are able to connect with my modem with a valid IP address, except my laptop.

Please provide me a solution for this or recommend me a stable wireless adapter for my laptop in place of this ICW-N 2230.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

K.jagadish, are you sure you do not have an IP conflict? It seems http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/c7213e6b-d716-40ea-a05a-697d53263c85/windows-8-is-having-a-16925401-to-169254255254-ip-address-although-i-have-manually-set-a Windows* 8/8.1 does not send a message about this conflict but sets an APIPA address instead. You may also want to try the following:

• A different wireless security method.
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357 TCP/IP stack reset
  • "Netsh winsock reset" in elevated CMD.
  • Disable IPv6.
  • Disable/remove security software (antivirus/firewall).
0 Kudos
JWils14
Beginner

Three weeks have now passed since I rolled back the drivers and the operating system. I'm using Windows 8, with driver version 15.5.6.48 for the Intel Centrino Wireless 2230 N card.

I've had no drops since then.

0 Kudos
JK7
Beginner

My Centrino N 2230 is crashing regularly on all the driver versions I try. I've tried 15.5.6 as suggested and the latest 15.12.0.6. This is happening on at least two independent wireless networks. Upwards of several times per hour! It even happens when I'm sitting right next to the WiFi Router (Motorola/Arris SBG6580)

If I wait long enough I do believe the connection restores. But it's also perplexing that when I'm at home I can still sometimes reach my Router's administrative page (by IP address) - not sure about that. Other computers on the networks at the time do not seem to experience difficulties. If I disable and reenable my wireless card through windows (Windows 8.1) then the connection restores within several seconds of reenabling.

If I plug in the hardline to the wireless router directly my internet is restored immediately (on that wired connection) so the router.

What gives? Can this be addressed?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Do you notice any change in the status of the driver in Device Manager when the disconnection occurs?

Do you get events with the IDs 5007 and 5055 in the Windows* Event Viewer (Control Panel, Administrative Tools). If yes, please share the details.

0 Kudos
JK7
Beginner

Hi Joe,

I don't have any of these events on the old driver version (15.5.6.48) that I'm using. But on Saturday I had upgraded to the latest drivers (15.12.0.6) and had a really bad time - worse than normal. Absolutely would not connect after all the tricks. I now see in the event log several 5055s and 5007s. I will send you the saved events .evtx file in a private message. I believe that was a different kind of bug than the one I'm getting while on 15.5.6.48.

========

I have yet to confirm this, but while on 15.5.6.48, I'm pretty sure I can still access devices on my local network. Like, I think I can print to my Apple Airport-connected printer! But the other computers/devices don't seem to be affected at those times. And as I mentioned, I seem to experience this on other WiFi networks at different locations and different access point hardware. In those cases, I am also close to the access point so interference is not an issue. EDIT As Andrw0830 revealed, perhaps this is not to do with the locality of my networked printer, but perhaps due to my accessing it via IP address and thus no DNS. No idea how the hardware driver would interfere with a layer-specific activity like that but I thought that was a better explanation. I cannot replicate this pinging by IP to public nor local addresses.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AArbo
Novice

Same here. This is getting ridiculous! I made sure to even do a clean install of Windows 8.1 with the recent release update and once I update to 16.11.0.6 e164.exe which gave me the 15.12.0.6 driver, I can not successfully stay connected. I get the same errors as BitElfish. I know this card is older, but the fact it is included with newer laptops (HP Envy 17 with Intel i7-4700), I should not have this problem. Not trying to be rude, but maybe if this card was included in the actually .inf for Windows 8.1 (6.3 section), it would work fine. If you have any newer beta drivers, I would be glad to test it for this solution. In case this helps, I also get a

"WLAN Extensibility Module has stopped" from the WLAN-AutoConfig source in Event viewer.

Lastly when I install the driver and have to revert because of the 5002, 5005 and DNS Client event 1014, if I reboot my machine, I don't usually get a connection on the Windows lockscreen. I have to login to Windows before the Wifi symbol shows connected. I ended up having to reformat my machine again because of this and this was from resetting TCP Stack, Winsock and uninstalling all the installed Wifi Drivers from my machine. Either Microsoft's new mandatory update KB2919355 is causing this or something else is going on because I don't have a problem when I use the Windows Update driver the first time, all of these issues happen once I install drivers from Intel.

0 Kudos
AArbo
Novice

I have successfully installed the Intel Wireless driver after a few reformats with both the Wireless_16.10.0_De164 and the Wireless_16.10.0_e164.exe package. I first manually updated the Windows Update driver with the De164 package and rebooted my computer. Once I verified my connection worked, I then installed the Proset Software from the e164 package. This installed driver version 15.10.5.1 and this is the first driver not to lose connection and to auto-connect properly to my router! I still don't know why the other times even uninstalling the drivers wouldn't solve the auto connect issue, but now it works

0 Kudos
JK7
Beginner

I just tried this particular version on Andrw0830's recommendation but it is not working for me. I'm still getting dropped at least twice in the last hour.

0 Kudos
AArbo
Novice

Yeah not sure if you read my first message, but for some reason if you install the 16.11, then uninstall all drivers, you will get an auto-connect issue. I had to reformat my computer 3 times before using the 16.10 package after updating it manually to get it to work. I have contacted my manufacture in case it's a bad WiFi card, but with all the issues here, I don't think that will work. I still don't get how reverting to a previous driver that was working with a Windows reformat before upgrading to the 16.11 Proset software, would cause this auto-connect issue. Only once in awhile when I boot up my computer, do you see the Windows icon show connected, when you are on the lockscreen. The driver must cause a registry error that isn't being removed when the Proset software and driver is removed. I think the quick solution would be to provide 100% support for this card in the Windows 8.1.inf (Netwbw02.inf file) as I haven't had this problem with Windows 8.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

For those who were not able to fix the issue with the latest drivers, we are looking for volunteers willing to assist providing information and testing drivers. The people who would like to help with this task must be using our latest driver and still have connection drops. Please note these important considerations:

• Be a technical savvy person in wireless networking.
  • Be willing to install/uninstall drivers and provide feedback.
  • Have software skills. If possible, knowledgeable in software debugging.

In order to participate please send an e-mail to the Intel® Support Center indicating that you would like to contribute with driver testing or send me a private message with your contact information.

E- Mail support for North America: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/emailsupport.htm http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/emailsupport.htm

E- Mail support for the rest of the world: http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/email_support.htm http://www.intel.com/support/mailform/networking/wireless/email_support.htm

0 Kudos
JEnsi
Beginner

I have the same problem. I am also using a Dell with Windows 8 and an N 2230 adapter. Every time Windows updates the problem gets worse. The card has quit altogether now. Updating drivers is not a solution, no combination of enabling or disabling, reconfiguring, ect can help. The Adapter is now stuck "off" saying not connected. I am almost certain it is a software issue, especially considering how many people are having similar problems. The companies who make chip-sets, drivers, and OS need to get their act together and provide a functioning service.

0 Kudos
CBatt1
Beginner

Same issue here. Dell XPS 18 that was recently purchased and still covered under return policy, thankfully. Noticed issued around the same time as I upgraded to Windows 8.1 but that could be a coincidence. Been talking with Costco and Dell tech support and no identified solution to date. No signal issue (always shows 'Excellent') but have noticed better quality signal when sitting 10 feet from WIFI router. Connection still drops (no actual change in signal quality or other) intermittently and the PC is becoming unusable.

On Intel site, I was prompted to update driver bu the update looks to have been removed. Should we expect a new update soon? Love the PC other than this issue. Is there a dedicated Intel support line for this issue?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

The latest driver version for this adapter is 16.11.0. We do not have an ETA for the next release but I am informed we have had great results with some cases that some of you have reported as indicated above. We need to continue our testing before the next driver is available for all of you.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software — Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software downloads

0 Kudos
MBree
Beginner

I downloaded and installed Intel PROSet 16.11. I previously have installed and uninstalled a couple different versions. When I opened "Intel Advanced Statistics" - About tab. It say:

Intel(R) PROSet / Wireless WiFi Software

Was the About just not updated, or did the uninstall and reinstall not happen properly?

Perhaps Software WWWFW0752, was updated on this "about page"

0 Kudos
MBree
Beginner

I'm pretty sure the Intel software team for PROSet 16.11 didn't update the About section - as it says section 16.10 (shown above)..

CCleaner utility indicates I do have PROSet: version 16.11.0 installed.

I've had time to use version 16.11.0...a little bit better, but still drops.

Intel WiFi N-2230

PROSet 16.11.0

driver release 15.12.0.6

Windows 8.1

Lenovo P500 updated bios to V1.21

0 Kudos
kpani
Beginner

Hi,

I also have Dell Inspiron 17R SE with Intel Centrino wireless-n 2230. I think I solved the problem with the disconnects by disabling the Bluetooth driver for the card from Device Manager. I have tested it for a week.

The drivers I am using are the standard drivers installed from "update driver" in device manager. No additional Intel software.

I think this solution works because Intel Centrino Wireless-n 2230 is also a Bluetooth adapter and maybe the drivers don't cooperate.

Sorry if someone else proposed this solution and it didn't work. I didn't found how to search the 15 pages of answers .

0 Kudos
JBuxb
Beginner

Intel, it absolutely boggles the mind that this issue has been known for so long but remains unresolved. It is obnoxious, and the continued lack of progress has made me exceedingly reluctant to every purchase a product with an intel chip again if I can help it. (Yeah AMD!)

0 Kudos