Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Intel-i7 Gen 11 Bluetooth issues

peter_hendrix
New Contributor I

On my Dell XPS-13 2-in-1 I experience Bluetooth issues when using my mouse.

When using the mouse after a few seconds of inactivity, it skips a few beets. This means the pointer will 'jump' a few centimeters.

It looks like the mouse does send the signal but the signal is only interpreted a tiny moment later. This behavior makes a Bluetooth mouse virtually unusable.

Actions to reproduce:

• Hook up a Bluetooth mouse.
  • Hold it still for a few moments.
  • Move it, you should see it 'jump'.

Source of the problem:

• Tested two different mice, one Microsoft and one Logitech
  • Tested the mice on different laptops computers

The problem consequently occurs on the Dell with this hardware and the same mice show no problems on any other computer. I don't have another computer (yet) with an Intel i7 Gen11 to test.

1 Solution
MarcinGalczynski

Hey,

There is a working resolution to this, apparently common, issue. Found it on Dell forum - Solved: XPS 9310 - Bluetooth lag with Logitech MX Keys + MX Master 3 - Page 19 - Dell Community

* Click Windows icon (start)
* Type regedit
* Right click regedit
* Click Run as administrator
* Navigate to =
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USB\VID_8087&PID_0026\5&ed1e05a&0&10\Device Parameters]
"DeviceSelectiveSuspended"=dword:00000000
"SelectiveSuspendEnabled"=dword:00000000
"SelectiveSuspendSupported"=dword:00000000

It worked for me on MSI Prestige 14 Evo with i7-1185. A welcome relief after months of nothing from official MSI support.

View solution in original post

91 Replies
AndreiM
Novice
The « standby crash » is a major issue.

My Dell 9310 has always been unpredictable if goes into standby when connected to dock even w/o the registry fix.

I never know what will crash after waking up: External monitors, native screen or the whole system.

I thought that the « standby problem » worth a separate discussion. And Dell forums are hot on this topic.
0 Kudos
Marcus_St
New Contributor I

Yes, it is not working well since Intel and Microsoft introduced "modern standby". But it reliably crashes when the "registry fix" is in place.

What the registry fix actually does is to completely disable the USB power management for ALL USB devices.

Now, a lot of internal components in a laptop are actually connected through an internal USB interface. WiFi, bluetooth, touchpad, camera, fingerprint, keyboard etc. Now the registry "fix" disables power management for ALL of these devices. They always run in "full powered mode" and Windows can't do anything about it. It cannot put the devices to sleep or to a lower power state if it is required.

But this is something very important for modern systems, for power control, temperature control and power consumption.

The result of disabling ALL USB power management is:

• increased power consumption --> decreased battery life
  • unexpected behavior when power management is required --> crashes

And this is what we can see on the devices.

The bluetooth issue is probably a result of sending the bluetooth card to a lower power state. On Windows and on Linux. But this either happens to fast (which I don't think is the issue) or the wake up procedure doesn't work probably on the device firmware (that's what I think the issue is).

So yes, "connected standby" is a constant issue on Windows but the "registry fix" is a separate topic as the "connected standby" feature is manually killed by the user. That is also the reason why the energy settings for the users were removed in Windows 10.

0 Kudos
AndreiM
Novice

It is interesting what you say.

I also noticed that I cannot wake up the laptop hitting a key on my bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

Since the system has always been unstable with those sleep / bluetooth issues, I am not sure that I could do this before. But I rather think I could. Sometimes.

Do you think the registry fix could be the reason that prevents the system from waking up on my bluetooth keyboard / mouse ?

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

This is also what I discovered, so I removed the registry hack.

0 Kudos
David_G_Intel

@peter_hendrix As we concluded via private message, we will now proceed to close the thread.

For users experiencing this same issue, please submit a new question with the necessary information, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Regards,

David G

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
AndreiM
Novice

Intel® Driver & Support Assistant informed me today about the new Intel® Wireless Bluetooth® for Windows® 10 driver.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/30515

Has anybody tried it and checked if it solves the bluetooth issue w/o the neccesity to switch off the whole USB power management in Windows? 

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

Hi, I installed the newest drivers

For the AX 201 Version 22.50.1.1

For Bluetooth Version 22.50.0.4

Did NOT solve the problems!

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

Hi

In my case no, this new driver will not resolve the problem.

0 Kudos
AndreiM
Novice

DON'T UPDATE THE DRIVER!

I installed it and now the lagging is back. Mouse cursor is jumping, keyboard typing is lagging.

0 Kudos
Jeff03
New Contributor I

I've had problems since day one.  I've updated the drivers with each new release.  Hasn't made it worse but unfortunately, it hasn't solved the issue.  I was told by an Intel rep that they are currently working on the issue with Microsoft to find a solution.  Here is the e-mail I got from him.

We hope you're doing well

After investigating this request this Bluetooth mouse behavior and its symptoms seem to point to one of 2 issues related to USB. To resolve the issue you are experiencing, you might need a BIOS fix from your PC manufacturer or a potential bug fix in the Windows 10 OS. While we request you to contact your PC manufacturer for the latest BIOS updates and fix ; Intel is working with Microsoft to find a resolution for the issue with similar symptoms. However, if an OS fix is required then this might take time. 

Meanwhile, some other users reported a workaround that may help improve this issue, we notice you're already aware of the workaround:
0 Kudos
JeffBeff
Novice

Same problem here with brandnew Dell XPS 9510 and Dell Bluetooth Mouse/Keyboard.

This workaround is ok but it has side effects - wakeup from standby by pressing key on bluetooth keyboard or bluetooth mouse doesn‘t work. You have to press a key on the integrated laptop keyboard.

0 Kudos
Dermeni
Beginner
Intel what are you doing about this?? Everyone has the same problem with the new 11th gen Evo platform.

I've had this issue with my LG gram 2021 since day one and some people had the same issue since 2020 with early 11th gen releases (ie. dell xps 9310).

C'mon Intel, this isn't the way to beat AMD and Apple.. The issue is a major productivity bug that has been unattended for almost 1 year. Nothing is more annoying than cursor lag right after typing code..

When can we expect a real fix? Please give us an update on the issue.
0 Kudos
Jeff03
New Contributor I

The last I heard from Intel on this was several months ago and they said they were working with Microsoft on the issue but didn't have an ETA so who knows when or if it'll get fixed.

0 Kudos
peter_hendrix
New Contributor I

After several driver- and bios-updates it looks like the problem is gone.

Unfortunately I don't know which update resolved my problems.

0 Kudos
Jeff03
New Contributor I

Peter, 

Months ago in this thread, you did the BIOS fix/change where some people mentioned getting blue screens and/or possible battery drain issues on sleep.  Have you experienced any of this since doing that?

0 Kudos
peter_hendrix
New Contributor I

It was a registry 'hack'. Since then I did a complete reset of my laptop so that 'hack' is not applicable for me anymore.

While it was active I did not experience blue screens.

0 Kudos
Jeff03
New Contributor I

Yeah, I remember reading about that "hack" and I didn't do it for two reasons.  One, some people had issues after doing it.  Two, the computer I'm having the bluetooth issues on I use for work so I just didn't want to chance it.  Even though I own the laptop, I still use it for work so I just didn't want any problems.  If it was my "home" laptop, I probably would've tried it (but that has the 10th gen Intel so no issues there).

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

Hi

I've the newest updates installed and still having this problems and Intel is also still working on it.

Would be interesting to know which updates you have installed. Which Version do you have installed depending wifi & Bluetooth? When you check your update-history in Windows can't you see any helpfull information?

0 Kudos
peter_hendrix
New Contributor I

You tell me if this is helpful:

peter_hendrix_0-1627558131922.png

0 Kudos
chris_swiss
Novice

Thanks.

Just checked: I don't have any updates for my system (Schenker Vision 15, Intels Reference-Design).

Perhaps Dell seems faster than Intel

0 Kudos
Marcus_St
New Contributor I

I don’t know if a driver update can fix that as it is an issue on linux as well. Or the driver there has the same issue…

0 Kudos