Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Intel x211 and x201 keeps stoping code 14

ico31
Beginner

I started a thread and couldn't find it now, I have an x211 which keeps stopping code 14.

Today I am talking to a friend who has x201 and has the same issue, driver stopping code 14

Please fix this issue. I updated to the latest version 23.20 and the issue is still occurring. I tried every version since 22.40 and all have the same issue 

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ico31, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

We will be more than glad to assist you with this matter. 

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before without showing the error code 14 that you are describing?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000057926/memory-and-storage.html

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
ico31
Beginner

I started since I bought my laptop, it is a brand new laptop.

As I said, it doesn't happen randomly, only upon disconnecting and connecting again, or connection interruptions.

A little bit of update: Since I updated Windows 11 to version  22631.3007 (KB5034123) no code 14 occurred. I have to be more sure as it is only 2 days, but usually it happens every day. (I never turn off my laptop, I just put it to sleep, so this could be a good sign)

I have to not that this new update include this fix:

"This update addresses a known issue that might affect some Wi-Fi adapters. They might not connect to some networks. This might occur after you install KB5032288 or KB5033375. This issue is more likely to occur if the Wi-Fi networks use 802.1x to authenticate. It is not likely that home networks will have this issue."

Not sure if it is the case, as I have a wpa2 encryption, but still, I will return if code 14 happens again.

0 Kudos
ico31
Beginner

Update: For 3 days in a raw no code 14, that was a huge coincidence as usally it will stop almost every day. So I reboot my router as rebooting my router will always cause code 14 and it happened, code 14 upon reboot.

Here is my SSU but I don't know how it will help with the issue.

The issue always happens upon disconnecting from the network. The wifi is stable, as long I am working no issue, no drops, and the wfi is so fast. Only when disconnecting from the router the driver will stop code 14.

I found a work around to skip the reboot, is to install another driver version, and the wifi will work perfect again, until disconnecting it will stop code 14 again, but install another version will fix the issue without rebooting.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ico31, Thank you very much for providing that information and the SSU report.

Based on the SSU document, the wireless driver version currently installed on your computer is 23.20.1.1.

For this scenario, it is important to mention that we always recommend to install the wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I looked on Lenovo's website and the latest wireless driver version they have available is 22.240.0.6. If you have not, please try a clean installation of that driver following the instructions in the links below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/wireless.html

Driver:

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n3eiw14w.exe

We also recommend to get in contact directly with Lenovo Support to make sure the latest BIOS version is currently installed on your device or, if necessary, to gather the instructions on how to update it:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

What is the model of your Router?

Once you get the chance, please let us know the results.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
ico31
Beginner

I am using the latest bios, and I was using the driver version 22.40.0.6. The only reason I tried each driver is because of this issue. Please see the pictureScreenshot 2024-01-16 011429.png7

And once the driver stopped Code 14, I use another driver to avoid restart, and it works fine without issues with the other version. Until it stopped code 14, I use another version and so on to avoid restart.

And it happened with every router, in home I have 2 Asus routers and one 4G ZTE, and at work we have lots of WiFi access points, I don't know the brands.

The issue is with Intel driver. as I am having 3 other laptops with other WiFi manufactures with no issues, and I am using USB WiFi Adapter by another barnd in the same laptop and no issue. It is ONLY with intel WiFi adapter.

The issue is the driver is loaded into the memory and can't work probably , once install another version it will work just fine. So no hardware issue, please see the pic of the loaded drivers in the system kernel just to avoid restart, I use many versions with no issues to avoid restart after code 14.

Screenshot 2024-01-16 014640.png

It is a driver issue, and not a manufacture issue or a hardware. Intel can't load and unload driver into Windows 11 probably. I hope you inform your engineers.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ico31, Thank you very much for sharing those results.

We are sorry to hear the issue remains after trying the steps provided previously.

Based on that, we will do further research on this matter. As soon as I get any updates, I will post all the details on this thread.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello ico31, I just received an update on this matter.

After reviewing the case we determined that this is actually related to a hardware issue with the wireless card itself, especially, taking into consideration that this is a brand-new PC.

Based on that, what we recommend to do next will be to get in contact directly with Lenovo Suppor to report this situation since a driver reinstallation will not fix this issue. They did the integration of all the parts and they also supplied the warranty for all the components. Lenovo will be able to further assist you with this scenario:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
ico31
Beginner

It is not a hardware issue, as I I have dual boot, Windows 10 and Windows1. No issues using Windows 10, it is only in Windows 11.

BTW the driver 22.40.0.6 is not heavily customized, it is exactly the same as the generic driver in Intel website.

I hope you inform your engineers that there is no issues using Windows 10 in the same laptop. It is only using Windows 11

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

ico31, Thank you very much for your reply.

I will confirm those details and provide a response as soon as possible.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello ico31, I just received an update on this matter.

After checking the case, we can confirm that this is mostly an Operating System problem. This issue won't be fixed with our drivers, so the next thing to do will be to get in contact directly with the OEM of the computer for further assistance on this subject.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos