Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Intel9260: Maximum Throughput with 2.4GHz

SabiyaFrancis
Beginner

Hi,

I have Intel 9260 interfaced with TI processor J721E over PCIe interface. I have configured the wifi card in AP mode ( 2.4G frequency band). The kernel version used is 5.10. Currently, I am validating the maximum throughput achieved when connected to the Intel9260 AP(in 2.4G band) and am able to achieve upto ~115Mbps. Theoretically the maximum achievable throughput with 2.4G is ~300Mbps. I have tried enabling 40MHz channel width ( HT40), and yet the maximum throughput didn't go beyond 115Mbps.

I couldn't configure AP mode on 5GHz and I believe AP mode on 5GHz is not supported ( https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi).

Below is my hostapd.conf (2.4GHz)

interface=wlp1s0

driver=nl80211

ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd

ssid=test

hw_mode=g

ieee80211n=1
wmm_enabled=1

channel=11

ht_capab=[HT40][SHORT-GI-20][SHORT-GI-40]

What is the maximum speed in 2.4G band? Please guide me in achieving the maximum throughput with 2.4G.

Regards,

Sabiya Francis

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DeividA_Intel

Hello SabiyaFrancis,  

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.   

In order to better assist you, please provide the following:  

1. Run the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) to gather more details about the system.  

· Download the Intel® SSU and save the application on your computer:

- Windows: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18377/intel-system-support-utility-for-windows.html

Or

- Linux: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18895/26735/intel-system-support-utility-for-the-linux-operating-system.html

· Open the application, check the "Everything" checkbox, and click "Scan" to see the system and device information. The Intel® SSU defaults to the "Summary View" on the output screen following the scan. Click the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".  

· To save your scan, click Next and click Save.  

2. Is this the original adapter that came pre-installed on your computer or did you change/install the adapter to this one?   

3. Is this a laptop or desktop computer? 

4. Have you contacted the Internet Service Provider (ISP) to confirm if there is a limitation on their side?

5. What is the brand and model name of your router? 

Regards,  

Deivid A. 

Intel Customer Support Technician 

0 Kudos
SabiyaFrancis
Beginner

Hello Deivid,

Thank you for the response. Please find my replies below:

1. I have attached the output of the utility on our test platform.
  2. This is a development platform based on J721E processor and Intel9260 wifi card is installed over PCIe interface on this board. I am working on Linux SDK package of the platform with kernel version 5.10
  3. <Please refer the above comment>
  4. There are no limitations from the ISP end.
  5. I have configured the development evm with the Intel wifi card to act as an AP.  I am connecting devices like laptop/mobile phones to this AP and validating the maximum internet speed achieved. This testing results in maximum throughput of ~115Mbps. I have shared the hostapd.conf file used on my previous comment in this thread.

The maximum throughput achievable (in real world) with 2.4GHz band is ~150Mbps. Please help me to achieve the maximum speed with Intel wifi card as AP.

Regards,

Sabiya Francis

0 Kudos
JosueO_Intel

Hello SabiyaFrancis,  

Thank you for the information provided, it seems that there was an issue when running the Intel® SSU tool and all information is showing as "not available". Please try running again the test and attach it to your response. 

Also, please let us know which Linux* distribution are you using on the system. 

Regards, 

Josue O.  

0 Kudos
SabiyaFrancis
Beginner

Hello Josue,

The board under test is a development platform and hence we are using a customised minimal filesystem called Arago Distribution for the testing. I am afraid that it is not a full-fledged OS to support the SSU tool. And that is the reason most of the fields are "Not Available".  In case specific hardware details are required to debug this, please let us know.

Regards,

Sabiya Francis

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello SabiyaFrancis, 

Thanks for the information provided, In order to continue further I would like to confirm the following:

1. Can you confirm your country? 

2. You do not have an actual AP/router, you are using the Intel® Wireless-AC 9260 as an AP, is that right?

3. Have you tried to change the channel and not just the channel width? Countries may have some channels preselected and this may be saturated and may affect the bandwidth.

Regards,   

Deivid A. 

0 Kudos
SabiyaFrancis
Beginner

Hello Deivid,

Please find my replies below:

1. India

2. Yes, That's right!

3. Yes. I have checked for the available channels and I have tried the available channels like Channel 11, Channel 13. Yet no improvement in the speed.

Regards,

Sabiya Francis

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello SabiyaFrancis, 

Thank you for the information provided 

I will proceed to check the inquiry internally and post back soon with more details. 

Best regards, 

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel

Hello SabiyaFrancis, 

I would like to let you know that if you have the latest drivers and advanced settings applied already I would suggest that having an AP is a condition expected for better performance. 

Consider that throughput is not relying on the wireless card only but also on environmental conditions such as operating system, bandwidth, range, antenna, etc. Based on the investigation, I recommend you get in contact with your system manufacturer (motherboard) for further recommendations and card testing.

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

0 Kudos