Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sig230
Novice

Is there any idea when Intel will have an AX200 driver for linux and PCIe 4x, 8x and 16x slots?

Is there any idea when Intel will have an AX200 driver for linux PCIe 4x, 8x and 16x slots?

I have several Intel ax200 based network cards but they will not work in anything but a PCIe x1 slot under Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Budgie or FreeBsd.  Unfortunately quite a few of my computers don't have a PCIe x1 slot so none of the many existing iwl family drivers work.

As pointed out in the thread https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Intel-AX-200-network-card-not-working-under-Linux-Mint/m-p/1... this is an issue common across many different versions of Linux and makes of motherboards.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

This is not particular to Linux; it happens with Windows as well. AFAIK, it is a hardware limitation of the PCIe carrier card design and there is nothing that Intel can do in the drivers to make up for it. I would also note that there are other PCIe x1 cards, which have nothing to do with networking or wireless, that also will not work in x4/x8/x16 slots. Bottom line, don't expect a miracle here; it is unlikely to happen.

Just saying,

...S

sig230
Novice

k

Can Intel at least get those folk selling cards using the AX200 to note the issue in their merchandising or produce a guide to any ax200 cards that might work in the x4/8/16 slots?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Hah! Fat chance...

...S