Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7646 Discussions

Issue with Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz speeds and band.

MaMo
Beginner

I have Acer Nitro 5 AN515-57 with pre-installed Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz, but it's not giving speed more than 300Mbps no matter which router I try. I even tested it with my mobile hotspot (which supports 80MHz channel on 5GHz). Also in advanced settings of adapter "20MHz" and "Auto" are the only options available, whereas the adapter supports up to 160MHz (according to the branding).

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

MaMo, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance on this scenario, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

Is this a new computer?

When did you purchase it?

What is the model of the Router?

Was it working fine before without the speed issue that you are describing?

If yes, when did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

Just to verify, the wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

Please attach the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform, check all the options in the report including the one that says "3rd party software logs":

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Alberto_R_Intel
Employee

Hello MaMo, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

MaMo
Beginner

Hello Albert R,

First of all I apologize for replying you this late, as I had forgotten about this post because some time later when I tried I was able to achieve speeds of 800Mbps with the hotspot of my mobile(POCO X3 Pro), routers here in my area are not that modern to support WiFi-6 (trust me It's uncommon to even see a 5GHz router) but as I might have informed that my mobile supports WiFi-5 which I had tested to be capable of 800Mbps with some other devices before.

Just wanted to know is there any tool that we can use to manually configure the speeds/bands or force a Wi-Fi protocol (such as 'ax' only) on our Wi-Fi adapter?

Also I wanted to know that usually to make a local hotspot without internet I mostly rely on my mobile but can we do that using Killer(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX1650i 160MHz? Because when I try to host a network using CMD it fails.

Qs and As:

Is this a new computer?

Yes it was.

When did you purchase it?

I don't want to share that info.

What is the model of the Router?

Routers I have are not modern enough to support WiFi-6 or 80Mhz band so I usually use my phone (which supports WiFi-5 and 40Mhz band) to locally host a network  and share files over it to other devices.

Was it working fine before without the speed issue that you are describing?

No, it never worked before, but as of now it seems to work sometimes.

If yes, when did the issue start?

N/A

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes that might cause this problem?

No, I suppose, but I did add an NVMe SSD and a HDD to the system and my system supports 2 SSDs and 1 HDD at the same time (internally).

Just to verify, the wireless card, did you purchase it separately or did it come installed on the computer?

It came Installed on this computer.

Which Windows* version are you using?

Windows 11 22H2 (Build right now is 22621.1555)

Does the problem happen at home or in the work environment?

I mostly use my Laptop at Home. So at Home!

Thanks and Regards,

MaMo.

0 Kudos
PLuca
Beginner

Same notebook and same wifi6 card
I recently bought a wifi6 router to make the most of the fiber internet line and the performance of the notebook as well as my smartphone

my smartphone has made an incredible leap in performance!

on the contrary, the notebook halved the performance it normally obtained with wifi5

I have always conducted tests on the laptop by powering it from the mains in order to guarantee maximum performance, but nothing like this

By pure chance I happened to do some tests with the power cable disconnected and... miracle!!! dream performance! completely comparable to those obtained from the smartphone

needless to say, I immediately tried it with mains power and the performance dropped again

I wrote to Acer and was told to send the notebook for assistance

I didn't do it and I won't do it because I fear the return times and the actual solution to the problem which is currently obvious by disconnecting from the electricity mains...

I hope I was helpful
try to do some tests with battery power and let me know!