Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Lenovo Thinkpad T440s and Intel Dual Band Wireless N 7260 - low WiFi speed

KD_
Beginner

Dear All,

I've got a problem with my brand new Lenovo Thinkpad T440s and Intel Dual Band Wireless N 7260.

I run the speedtest.net on it.

Connection between my router (TP-LINK- "n" connection established) and my t440s is in amount of 144 mbits.

I've checked my t440s with speedtest.net and the highest download value was 20 Mb/s. It seems to me like it is only b/g connection.

What should I do to receive hi speed (80mbits) connection?

All my older notebooks my WiFi works with speed of 80 Mb/s. So there is a problem with t440s

I have updated the drivers to 17.0.0 and it is a bit better - download value is amounting of 34 Mb/s, but still it's not 80 Mb/s

I've checked in Intel Dual Band Wireless N-7260 driver settings - Energy management - Permission to disabled this device due to energy save is not on.

In Power Supply Profiles I set the Maximum performance in WiFi card settings.

My router is TP LINK WR841-N (run in N mode)

Dear Intel it's funny that brand new Wireless card works slower than iPad mini Retina or my 2 old Dell computers.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Are you running the test within line of sight to the router? Can you also run a ping test (not pingtest.net!) to the router 500 times?

If your ping is spiking to more than 10 ms, your speed goes down due to high latency. An excellent ping test to router result should give a summary similar to this one:

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:

Packets: Sent = 500, Received = 500, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 3ms, Average = 0ms

It's not just you who have this kind of problem if you read some threads here. I used to have those problems before but after using Dell's 16.8.0.6 drivers and Windows 7 updates eliminated this problem for me. I found the "problem free" driver that works best and gives all the speed (150 - 180 Mbps actual throughput of 300 Mbps link speed) for my laptop (Sony Vaio with Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260) and won't ever try updating to whatever latest Intel drivers. I've seen that many people get excellent speed with 16.6.0.8 though that driver gives erratic connections to my laptop

Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We have identified this issue and it will be fixed with version 17.0.2. I am not able to share more specific information about the release date yet but we are working on it.

KD_
Beginner

Thank You theveterans and joe!

I'm waiting for the new drivers, please give me information when new update will be available

Regards!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are still working on this. Thank you!

0 Kudos
KD_
Beginner

I don;t know what is going on, but sometimes I receive full speed @ speedtest.net (approx. 80 Mb/s) and afterwards, a few minutes later I receive approx. 20-24 Mb/s.

Don't know why the speed is so different.

Moreover my TP LINK 841N router is freezing very often (need to be rebooted to start working again). Don't know if it is connected with Intel Dual Band Wireless N7260, but before I bought T440s I didn't have such problems.

Any news regarding new updates?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Have you tested the connection in a different network?

We expect the new driver to be released soon but we still do not have an ETA.

0 Kudos
JRami13
Beginner

I very recently bought a T440s. After using it for a couple of days, I installed Win8.1. Immediately, I began to have the same problem as Kristianko and many other Dual Band N7260 have. After many days of trying many things, I went and reinstalled Win8. Haven't had a problem after that.

I have my doubts if the problem lies in the N7260 or with Win8.1. The reason I say this, is that I bought a USB wireless adapter, and the same problem I had with the N7260 I had with the USB adapter.

KD_
Beginner

I would like to emphasize that I've got Win 7 Pro.

Joe - I have tried my T440s only @ slow connection areas (in places like Starbucks).

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

joseluisrc seems to be experiencing this exact issue too, you may want to test with a different router if possible. Hopefully you will get it fixed with version 17.0.2.

0 Kudos
KHubb
Beginner

Hi.

I just got off the phone with Lenovo support, and they are unaware of any problem with the driver. I did upgrade to 17.0.2 with no improvement to upload and download speed over wireless. Any other suggestions?

Kim.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We are working on a new driver release. Please stay tuned.

Thank you for your patience.

0 Kudos