Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7440 Discussions

Linux wireless card not detected / working

cyris
Beginner

Hello,

After bashing our heads at it long enough, i've come here.

On this laptop "IdeaPad Gaming 3 16IAH7" my system isnt letting me use wifi.
What driver is required for this wifi card, and how might I implement it?

Thank you,

Cyris

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cyris,

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.  

Regarding your question, the Linux drivers are part of the upstream Linux* kernel. They're available through the regular channels, distributions, or the Linux* kernel archives.

To have a better understanding of your issue, please provide me with the following:

• What is the model of the wireless card installed on your system? Is it the original adapter that came pre-installed on your system?
  • What is the Linux Operating system and kernel version you are currently using?
  • Do you recall if the adapter works as expected when running a different Operating system?
  • Are you running the latest wireless firmware?

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

1. The model of the card, to the best of my knowledge, is this very one.

It'll be the "wireless" one. It even has images, for your viewing pleasure.

2. I am on EndeavourOS, and Arch based distro. I have both the LTS and current kernel versions installed, and switch between them

This wifi issue is no different which ever one I am on. I tend to be on the current version more.

3. Yes the card for sure works, as Windows needed to connect to the internet to continue with set-up, and listed my local wifi points.  I nuked Windows before connecting to any.

4. I am running the latest firmware. Motherboard related driver updates along with this current WLAN driver update are all for Windows.

Best,

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cyris,

I appreciate the information provided.

Please run the command $ hostnamectl. It will help us confirm your Operating system version; also the kernel version installed on your system. Keep in mind that the kernel supported by the Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 is 5.2 or newer.

Also, I would suggest checking if the issue can be replicated while running Ubuntu operating system.

Keep in mind that Windows drivers are optimized to run with this operating system (OS) and may not work using other OS. So, please, check with the Linux distro to see if they have drivers available. 

Regarding the firmware, the one that supports this wireless adapter is the following:

iwlwifi-Qu-48.13675109.0.tgz

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cyris,

I hope you are doing fine.

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, I can be slow at times.

This issue is still true with kernel 5.2 and newer. I have tried Fedora and Ubuntu, latest build of each, and neither can see the wifi card. Only wired.

I do have firmware iwlwifi-Qu-48.13675109.0.tgz installed

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cyris,

Thanks for your response. The information provided has been helpful.

Since the issue persists in different Linux Operating Systems, please try the following command and provide me with the outcome for each of them:

• $ hostnamectl -> to verify the Operating System and kernel version.
  • # lspci​ -> This is to verify that the Intel network controller ​is identified. If not, then the system doesn't identify the Intel network adapter, and you need to make sure that it's properly integrated. You may need to request help from the system manufacturer. If the wireless adapter is properly identified - proceed with the third command.
  • # modinfo iwlwifi​ -> If you receive no output, then the module isn’t installed and it is the distribution installation issue.
  • # lsmod | grep iwlwifi​ -> if the result is empty, it indicates that the driver hasn't been loaded. To verify. type # dmesg | grep iwlwifi​  
  • # dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!”​ -> You must not receive any output, If the result is not empty, it means that you don’t have a suitable Firmware.
  • # dmesg | grep ASSERT​ -> if the output is empty, please follow this wiki: https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/users/drivers/iwlwifi/debugging ​to extract dmesg and trace-cmd. However, if the output has value, please collect it from the wiki FW dump too.

Best regards, 

Jean O. 

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cyris,

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cyris,

I have not heard back from you. So we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

Oh dear!

I hope it is not too late.

I did reply. A few days ago, after much faffing and fighting with the log-in system here and re-setting passwords and having the whole page quit for seemingly no reason... I managed to write a reply.
I see now, though, that it didn't go though, blast.

I provided the outputs and some explanation. Would you like this still?
Should I open a new thread in light of this unfortunate situation?

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello cyris,

I have reopened the thread, as you mentioned that you replied after some problem with logging in to the website.

I can't find your previous post where you provide me with the outputs and the explanation. Could you resend it?

Best regards.

Jean O. 

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

Oh goodness. Not again.

I just finished writing a reply saying that my new, clearly formatted and linked-up response didn't go though.
And then that didn't go though!
Once again I will send this to try and test that it goes though. I don't know what would make the difference though.

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

community.intel.com/t5/Wireless/Linux-wireless-card-not-detected-working/m-p/1402810#M42638

I'm losing the plot a little. This would make the 3rd or 4th attempt to get my responses showing here, rather than being lost to the void.

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

https://sfederation.intel.com/affwebservices/public/saml2sso?SPID=www.intel.com&ProtocolBinding=urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:bindings:HTTP-POST&RelayState=

this link is what shows in the URL bar about 50% of the time when i try to connect to this forum post. 

it leaves my page utterly blank, and no change of browser nor any amount of refreshing fixes it. Seems to be random and is the 2nd biggets hindrance to getting my response out, with the first being that none actauly show up. I am about to press "post reply" and these words, too, shall be lost to the void. 

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

Right, of course.

Below are the command outputs. As of a few days ago I got my system stuck in TTY mode, unable to get to a GUI. This is unrelated, but I hope it causes no issues for us. I honestly do not know how to get back to a GUI as I have done all the troubleshooting I know. But other than that, I can use my laptop to it's fullest as normal. Other than the lack of WiFi of course.

Here are some "pastebins" of the outputs requested:

hostnamectl

lspci

I think I am right in saying that the network adapter is not being seen at all. I'll provide the other commands, just in case I misunderstand the `lspci` output. If not, could I ask what you mean by needing help from Lenovo?

modinfo iwlwifi​   -- This did have an output, ruling out the distro as an issue. Sharing here for clarity's sake.

lsmod | grep iwlwifi     -- This had no output.

dmesg | grep iwlwifi​    -- This had no output.

dmesg | grep “no suitable firmware found!”   -- No output.

dmesg | grep ASSERT

This had no output. I will follow the wiki now to take steps but I am a) worried the card is not being seen by the laptop at all, and there for should not do anything further and b) I am sending my reply for fear that this post will get refreshed or something. This website does not seem to like me right now.

0 Kudos
cyris
Beginner

Oh bother. I replied again with a very nicely formatted, clear and linked-up post. But I do not see it here.
I even pressed the reply button with a little note at the end of the post saying that I am having issues with the website, and I feared something like this (exactly this, come to think of it) would happen.

I'll post this just now, to see if it's working at all.

Then for the 3rd time, try and post.

https://sfederation.intel.com/affwebservices/public/saml2sso?SPID=www.intel.com&ProtocolBinding=urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:bindings:HTTP-POST&RelayState=

about 50% of the time, regardless of my browser or computer, the above link is in the URL bar, and the page is blank. refreshing the page shows me this forum again, but only for a few seconds. It's one of the issues. The other is my replies not going though.

0 Kudos
Jean_Intel
Employee

Hello @cyris,

My apologies for the inconvenience. I am now able to see your previous posts.

As per the information provided by the lspci, the Intel network controller is not being recognized; you need to make sure it's properly integrated. You also may need to request help from the system manufacturer. However, the network adapter reported is the Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device b852, which is not an Intel product. My recommendation is contacting with your OEM for further support.

Best regards, 

Jean O.  

0 Kudos
Helper
Beginner

Hi, If you haven't solved your problem, I recommend you to read this post and follow it carefully.(https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/realtek.html#ID9)

I found my solution in the last section named"The rtw89 driver from lwfinger for the RTL8852AE, RTL8852BE and RTL8852CE chipsets

"

0 Kudos