Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

My Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 is too slow.

ShooterBoyX
Beginner

All other (mobile) devices that I put next to my current computer which holds this networking card have a download speed of 250 Mbps, but the computer seems to be capped at a speed of 100 Mbps.

As this is a prebuilt HP product, I posted the same question on the HP forums to get some feedback from there.

I noted from other questsions that often the output of the Intel SSU is asked, so it is in the attachments.

For any details on what I've tried thusfar, check the post on the HP forums.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Install (or reinstall) the latest Wireless and Bluetooth packages. It's very important that you use this exact process to do so:

1. Read this entire process completely, so you understand it, before continuing.
  2. Download the latest Wireless and Bluetooth driver packages to the laptop. You can get then from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29122/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Adapters?product=89450) and here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29125/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Windows-10?product=89450.
  3. Disconnect the laptop from the Internet. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable WiFi. If you don't do this, the whole process will fail to do what we need.
  4. Uninstall the existing Wireless and Bluetooth packages.
  5. Reboot (keeping Internet access disabled).
  6. Install the latest Bluetooth package. It's important that Bluetooth be installed first.
  7. Install the latest Wireless package. It's important that Wireless be installed second.
  8. Reboot.
  9. Reconnect to Internet.
  10. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
ShooterBoyX
Beginner

Thanks for you reply @n.scott.pearson

After following your steps (which was a bity scary since device manager was like "are you sure you want to delete this device from your system?"), I tested the connection and I was back to 30 Mbps.

Then, I changed the following options in device manager again:

• 802.11 n/ac wireless mode -> 802.11n
  • Preferred band -> 5 GHz

which lead to a download of 100 Mbps again.

So thusfar, your answer didn't work yet.

Once again, thanks for the reply though.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

No problem.

Words to the wise: When it comes to Intel driver packages, unless told otherwise, always uninstall via Apps and Features. Unless told to do so, do not uninstall using Device Manager. Doing so can sometimes result in partially deleted packages that cannot then be fully deleted (other than manually; a pain in the a$$).

...S

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello ShooterBoyX,

Were you able to review the recommendations provided? 

If you need further assistance, please let us know. We will be glad to assist you.

Wanner G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello ShooterBoyX,

We have not heard back from you, so we will close this inquiry. If you need further assistance, please post a new question.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
ShooterBoyX
Beginner

Hello @WannerG_Intel​ ,

First off, I'm very sorry about the late response. I had the two forums I posted this question on mixed up and couldn't find your messages.

I'm still struggling with the same issue and require assistance.

Hope this thread isn't actually closed..

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello ShooterBoyX,

To better assist you, please generate a system report with the Intel® System Support Utility (Intel® SSU) and attach it to this thread.

1. Intel® SSU Download link
  2. Open the application and click on "Scan" to see the system and device information. By default, Intel® SSU will take you to the "Summary View".
  3. Click on the menu where it says "Summary" to change to "Detailed View".
  4. To save your scan, click on "Next", then "Save".

Also, please let us know the troubleshooting you have performed so far. 

What is the model number of the other device you have tested in your environment? Does it have an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 installed as well?

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
ShooterBoyX
Beginner

Hello @WannerG_Intel​ ,

Note that in the original post, the output of the SSU is already attached.

I will come back to my troubleshooting thusfar and the Wireless Network Card on the other device I tested the connection on.

0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello ShooterBoyX,

As soon as you have any update, please let us know.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
ShooterBoyX
Beginner

Hello @WannerG_Intel​ ,

Sorry for the hold up.

To compare my speed to I used my laptop, which has a Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7625, which downloads at a speed of 250 Mbps at the same location the PC is stationed.

Thusfar I've tried:

• Updating to the latest driver
  • Swapping the values around to improve the speed (such as Wireless Mode, Preferred Band, etc.)
  • Running the Wireless Module test from the BIOS. [PASSED]
  • Completely uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them as described above in this post.
0 Kudos
Wanner_G_Intel

Hello ShooterBoyX,

Thank you for your response.

Depending on the bandwidth, having more connected devices to a network may decrease the throughput (speed), which may result in lower download/upload speeds.

The throughput can be calculated in the following way:

1. Go to the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 product specifications and check the "Networking Specifications".
  2. The maximum data rate for 802.11ac 1X1 is 433 Mbps.
  3. Now, (max data rate ÷ 2) ÷ number of connected devices = Max throughput (speed).
  4. In this scenario, (433 Mbps ÷ 2) ÷ 1 client = ~216.5 Mbps per client.

It is important to take this into account when comparing the speed other devices are showing since they may have other networking specifications > Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

Having said that, it is worth noting that throughput (speed) is not the same as Download/Upload speed. Online speed tests will generate a small amount of random data and measure the time it takes to upload it to (or download it from) the web server. This result will be displayed in bits per second.

Download and upload speeds will be affected by the capacity of your wireless access point, computer's networking specifications, bandwidth (ISP), user congestion, network overhead, neighboring networks using the same channels, etc. In other words, wireless networks do not perform anywhere near the maximum data rate product/ISP marketing advertises. 

If your computer is running with the latest Windows* 10 updates and drivers, then what we can recommend is that you contact your OEM for further support and warranty options in case a similar system (i.e a computer with an Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165 installed) performs better in the same network environment.

Also, we recommend that you contact your router/access point manufacturer to make sure it is running with a configuration that can benefit systems with different networking specifications. Besides, they may install a new firmware update for your router/AP if available.

Wanner G.

0 Kudos
John29
Beginner

I appreciate this is an old thread but it is the first that showed up on the search results, so I thought I would add to it for those who may be looking for solutions to this problem

Headline: I do not have a permanent working solution, but a temporary one.

However, I can assert the following:

• The issue is related to Intel's driver for Windows 10 and 11
  • It is not an issue with your router
  • It is not a problem with your computer hardware

I run both Linux and Windows (10, which I recently upgraded to 11, see below) on the same computer. On Linux, the problem does not occur on any router I have ever connected to. On Windows 10 and 11, it does... on some routers but not others.

I can confidently say there is a problem with the Windows driver for AC-3165 because I have tried the following:

• Run a Linux system on the same machine, with the Linux drivers. The problem does not occur on Linux, despite identical computer and router hardware
  • Upgrading from Window 10 to 11 does not resolve the issue
  • Tweaking advanced settings in Device Manager will temporarily correct the problem - that is, restore wifi speed to its max - but it only lasts between 10 to 15 minutes. After which wifi speed drops again, significantly
  • Here is what you can do in Device Manager to temporarily regain some speed:
    1. Find your AC-3165 network adapter in the list and double-clic
    2. Click the Advanced tab
    3. In the list of Properties, select MIMO Power Save Mode
    4. Switch the value to No SMPS
    5. Click OK
  • Like magic, you now have full speed again... for a short while. You can repeat the above by switching back to Auto SMPS, hitting OK, then setting it back to No SMPS again.

Hope this helps someone.

Best regards

0 Kudos
eclipselearner
Beginner

Thank you @John29 , your solution resolved my problem but like you said - it was only temporary.  I am hopeful that a permanent solution will be forthcoming.

0 Kudos