Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7652 Discussions

My Wi-Fi drivers aren't installing for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200

Gabbythegamer79
Beginner

So I got a notification from the Intel driver assistant to update my drivers for Wi-Fi, so I gave it a shot and installed it but it failed to install and for some reason the bluetooth still works. And for a while I lived with it but now I actually need the Wi-Fi. I also have the log attached. Thank you in advance for any support!

0 Kudos
10 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Sadly, this happens regularly and no magic fix has been forthcoming. The reason why Bluetooth survives is that the interface to its hardware is different, USB instead of PCIe, and thus has a modicum of independence.

The only known workaround is to do a clean install of the drivers. Here is the process for doing so:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and Wireless driver packages for your adapter. Here are the current links for downloading these drivers: Wireless: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/19351 and Bluetooth: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18649.
  2. Most important! Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable. Note this Wireless disable, if necessary, *must* be of type that will persist and stay disabled across reboots.
  3. From the Apps & Features applet, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip forward to Step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and/or Intel Wireless Bluetooth that is present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings".
  5. Manually reboot your computer, keeping Internet access disabled throughout.
  6. From the Device Manager applet, check the Network Adapters section for an entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and check the Bluetooth section for an entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth that has an Intel driver associated with it. If neither is the case, skip forward to Step 12.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Repeat step 7 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is not offered (greyed out).
  9. Right click on the entry for Intel Wireless Bluetooth and open its properties. If it has an Intel driver associated with it, then uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  10. Repeat step 9 until the option to Delete the driver software for this device is not offered (greyed out).
  11. Go back to Step 5.
  12. Install the downloaded Bluetooth driver package (my rule: always install Bluetooth first).
  13. Install the downloaded Wireless driver package.
  14. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  15. Reenable Internet access. Restore Ethernet cable and/or reenable wireless.
  16. Test.

Note that it sometimes may take multiple uninstall (and reboot) cycles to clean out the old package installations, so don't give up on the process. If you get to, say, 10 cycles, stop there and attempt the installation of the latest drivers.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Gabbythegamer79
Beginner

I'll try this and will report if it works or if it doesn't.

0 Kudos
Gabbythegamer79
Beginner

So everything went smoothly until step 15 when the installation kept failing. The log is attached in this message too if it helps. I also tried this like 5 times but it still didn't work and has the same problem as before and also I forgot to mention the Wi-Fi card has Code 56 shown in device manager and the same goes for bluetooth but bluetooth still works.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Hhmmm,... MS help pages would seem to indicate that's an indication of a disk space issue. Do you have a space problem on your system drive?

...S

0 Kudos
Gabbythegamer79
Beginner
I have around 60GB of free space out of 950GB(1TB nvme), so no I don't have any disk space problems.
0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok, we'll have to look a little deeper. 

Please download and run the Intel System Support Utility for Windows. When you start the utility, select Everything and then click on Scan. Once it completes the scan process, click on Next and then Save. Pick a name for the text file to create and click on Save to create it. You can then close the app. Finally, open a response post here and then, using the Drag and drop here or browse files to attach dialog (below the edit box for the body of your response post), upload and attach this text file to the response post.

Intel Customer Support - Please assign agent to this case.

...S

0 Kudos
Gabbythegamer79
Beginner
0 Kudos
Gabbythegamer79
Beginner

Also correction if you haven't realized: In the reply I meant until step 13 when the Wi-Fi drivers kept failing to install

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I am not seeing any AX200 device appearing in the report. Are you seeing an entry for it in Device Manager? Are you seeing an unknown device? Please send screen captures of the Networking and Bluetooth sections of the Device Manager.

...S

0 Kudos
Gabbythegamer79
Beginner

Sorry for the late reply, but here is a screenshotimage_2024-06-25_161533762.png

0 Kudos