Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7429 Discussions

My wireless card in laptop is N-7260 single band and something is interfering, maybe?

BNola
Beginner

My wireless card in laptop is Intel Wireless-N 7260 single band, my office has a PS4, and a Direct TV satellite genie mini cable box, a furnace for home boxed in sheet rock (drywall), and my home breaker box. Will any of these items interfere with my wifi reception? My WiFi signal strength says it is great, but my download speed should be 50 Mbps, but I am only getting 15 Mbps and sometimes as low as 3 Mbps download speed. But it doesn't affect the upload speed, that is good. But if I leave the room with my laptop, I get the 50 speed, everything is normal. Can anyone tell me what could be going on or interfering? I have already updated the driver for network card and it didn't help.

I also brought in different laptop with a different network card and I get the same result in this room. Please help.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Anything that is operating in - or radiating into - the 2.4GHz band is going to interfere with the WiFi throughput. This include cordless phones, Bluetooth devices (like your cell phone), etc. An unfortunate issue is that USB 3.0 also operates in the 2.4GHz band and can interfere with WiFi as well - especially if crappy, poorly shielded cables are used.

...S

0 Kudos
BNola
Beginner

I really hate to ask, I am just not real tech savvy, but what is USB 3, I don't think I have anything with that. But I will tell you my cell phones on Wi-Fi ( both iPhone and Samsung note 8 ) in this room, gets the 50 Mbps download speed, but any computer I have will not. I am so confused as to why?

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

USB 3.0 is the super speed version of USB. It is capable of transferring data at 5Gb/s (625MB/s), which is 10 times as fast as USB 2.0. You can tell if a USB port supports USB 3.0 by looking at its color. If the port is Blue, it is USB 3.0. If the port is Yellow, it is USB 3.0, but it also provides additional power for charging devices. If a port is Black or White, it is usually USB 2.0 but, on very old systems, may be USB 1.1.

...S

0 Kudos
BNola
Beginner

but why would cell phone wifi work at 50mbps in that room, but not the laptop? Again, laptop shows max signal strength. but just on otherside of door of this room, laptop will get 50Mbps? I would think phones wifi card would be weaker on IPhone and samsung phone

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Because the antennas in many laptops are notoriously poor. Can you identify the WiFi module that you have installed? You probably want to upgrade it to one that supports Wireless-AC and dual bands.

...S

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello mailto:bnolan@northernstarservices.co bnolan@northernstarservices.co,

We haven't heard fro you in the last few days.

Please let us know if you still require assistance.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello bnolan@northernstarservices.co,

Thanks for posting in our community.

As explained by N. Scott Pearson, there are many factors that can affect a wireless connection such as other wireless devices (specially on the 2.4 GHz band), walls, household appliances (such as microwaves) and even how the computer is built.

We would like to review your current settings to verify if there's something that can be change to improve your download speed. In order to better assist you, we would like to gather some more information. Please download and run the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600 Intel® System Support Utility (while connected to your network) and share the resulting report with us.

Best regards,

Eugenio F.
0 Kudos