Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7426 Discussions

N6235 randomly does not connect to the preferred band

etaus
Novice

I am using a Samsung Series 9 notebook with Win8 x64. I am connecting to a TP-Link TL-WDR3600 dual band router.

I have also selected 5.2 as the preferred band in the adapter advanced properties.

Generally, it does connect to the selected band but without any reason it sometimes connects to the 2.4 band.

Does anyone see the same behavior of the adapter ? Any reason anyone might think of ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello elias,

If you are only going to use 5.2GHz you may force the adapter to this frequency by selecting 802.11a wireless mode.

0 Kudos
etaus
Novice

Hi, I understand what you are suggesting, but this is a notebook and I move around different places where not all hotspots have 5.2 capabilities. This is why I appreciate the idea of the "preferred band" and I would like it to work correctly. What do you suggest ? How does the wireless selection between available networks and bands work ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please note this "preferred band" option gives priority but not exclusivity to the selected band, meaning that this is how it is supposed to work. What may be happening here is that the wireless adapter is not connecting to 5GHz band all the time for a variety of reasons and then it chooses 2.4 GHz instead. If that is the case you may want to find out why it does not connect to 5GHz always.

Another possible workaround is to disable your 2.4GHz profile from connecting automatically or add it to the exclusions list in Windows* wireless zero configuration or Intel® Proset Wireless Connection Utility. In that way you may also connect to other 2.4GHz networks in different locations.

0 Kudos
etaus
Novice

How do I add the Wireless Connection Utility without installing the driver ? I started having problems once I updated to the 15.8.0.5, so I would prefer to stay with the 15.6.1.20 I am currently using. (Unless the new version has improvements in the area which I am addressing here). Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

In order to install Intel® PROSet Wireless Connection Utility you will need to download the full driver package (larger file size) and select custom installation to make sure this feature is selected. We recommend uninstalling the current driver first so the custom installation option appears. The good thing is that you can choose any other compatible version from the article below; so, you can continue using 15.6.1.

Intel® PROSet/ Wireless Software Downloads

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wtech/proset-ws/sb/CS-034041.htm

0 Kudos