Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

New to Edison: Can it wakeup with a sensor, collect data by packet sniffing (like kismet), and go back to low power?

KMuzu
Beginner

Fairly self explanatory. Considering the Edison for a big project but it would need to perform the tasks:

1. Go to low power mode

2. Listen on a specific pin connected to an ultrasonic or PID sensor

3. Wakeup and do some wireless sniffing (return raw kismet/airodump/wireshark output) for x seconds

4. Back to sleep

Would this be possible to accomplish?

1 Solution
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi kmuzumdar,

Some other user have been trying to accomplish this. I think you could take a look at this thread /thread/61067 https://communities.intel.com/thread/61067. CMata_Intel suggested that by using the lines below you can put the Edison into and out of standby mode.

echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state

or

echo -n "freeze" > /sys/power/state

But some other users have reported that this works just once, so they have to reboot the board to make it work again. However, not so long ago someone post a link to a patch that makes the sleep mode more reliable than before. I would suggest you to try with that.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Pablo_M_Intel
Employee

Hi kmuzumdar,

Some other user have been trying to accomplish this. I think you could take a look at this thread /thread/61067 https://communities.intel.com/thread/61067. CMata_Intel suggested that by using the lines below you can put the Edison into and out of standby mode.

echo -n "mem" > /sys/power/state

or

echo -n "freeze" > /sys/power/state

But some other users have reported that this works just once, so they have to reboot the board to make it work again. However, not so long ago someone post a link to a patch that makes the sleep mode more reliable than before. I would suggest you to try with that.

Regards,

PabloM_Intel

0 Kudos