Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7365 Discussions

No Proset wireless connection utility

JHome
Novice

I just received a new Dell Inspiron 15 5558 laptop with an Intel 3160-AC wireless adaptor. The laptop came with Intel drivers already installed (v17.16) and I am running Windows 7 Pro x64. WiFi works reliably and I've not had any connection issues.

However, all I have for a WiFi Connection Utility is a very generic icon in the task bar that appears to be a basic Win 7 tool with very limited features, unless one is willing to navigate thru numerous MS links to get at more levels of detail. I checked the Control Panel / Program & Features and do see Intel Proset Wireless listed there, but can not find the Proset Connection Utility anywhere else on my computer - and no way to launch or enable it.

I downloaded the latest version Intel Driver & Software which said it contains the Proset Connection Utility and installed it. I was given 2 options for the install since the installed drivers were the same version as I was now loading - either 'Repair' or 'Uninstall'. I did a repair, which it said was completed successfully. Unfortunately, I still have a generic connection utility and no Proset Connection Utility.

How do I get the Proset Connection Utility enabled?

22 Replies
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Gymbow,

Where did you try to install the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software from? If the wireless card came installed by factory we recommend that you install it from Dell* Support page. Here is the link:http://www.dell.com/support/home/bb/en/bbdhs1/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=5WYP8 Intel PROSet/Wireless 3160 WLAN Driver - If you need to update the drivers for your wireless card, we recommend that you always do it through Dell as the adapters installed by factory are responsibility of the computer manufacturer as they modify the card to fit their system. The drivers found in our support page are generic and may not be compatible with your system. You can also use: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Eula/scan?sourcePage=H&scanType=TMC&loadSection=N&tabName= Dell Auto-Detect-Your-Produchttp://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Eula/scan?sourcePage=H&scanType=TMC&loadSection=N&tabName= t to help identify if you product needs any updates.

Please consult Dell* first for further assistance on the installation.

JHome
Novice

Thank you for your reply and the Dell link. The drivers I used yesterday were from the Intel download center as I did not see any equivalent driver on the Dell site at the time. I had run the Dell Auto-Detect program, which did not indicate any wireless updates were required.

Please note, the reason I used the Intel driver (File name: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/24862/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Windows-7-?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/24862/eng/Wireless_17.16.0_s64.exe Wireless_17.16.0_s64.exe) was because I wanted to have the Proset Wireless Connection Utility, which was not present in the task bar. All I had was a very generic icon with very limited functionality. I'm trying to determine how I can replace the generic windows connection utility with the Proset Connection Utility, which has a much more capable interface. Any suggestions on how to achieve this would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Gymbow,

Regardless of the version of the software you have, (OEM's or Intel's) once you have Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software installed. You should be able to see this icon as shown in the picture # 1 below, correct? This is the default icon. If you double click on it, you will be able to see the interface. You will always be able to switch from PROSet to Windows* management any time as also shown in picture # 2 - Let us know if this is what you are looking for.

Picture # 1

Picture # 2

0 Kudos
JHome
Novice

I agree with you that is what I SHOULD see, but unfortunately, I don't. This is what I see and what I get when I right click on the bar icon. Still looking for a solution ...

0 Kudos
JHome
Novice

Could it be that Dell installed JUST the Proset Drivers without the Proset Connection Utility? If so, when I used the Intel download file and it would only allow me to either repair or uninstall the drivers -- is it likely the successful repair only looked at the drivers and would not install the Proset Connection Utility?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Gymbow,

It is important that you always look for updates provided by the computer manufacturer and Dell* is the one that can provide a more accurate answer since they do the customizations. However, you can try the latest drivers (18.11.0) we have recently made available for download in our download center. Click here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25138/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-for-Windows-8-1- Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1*

Which file should you download? 

If you have Windows 8.1 32-bit and 8.1 64-bit:

DRIVERS ONLY: Wireless_18.11.0_De132.exe and Wireless_18.11.0_De164.exe

Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software (includes Drivers): Wireless_18.11.0_e132.exe and Wireless_18.11.0_e164.exe

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Aleki, could you build a fire somewhere to get the IT Administrators driver sets put up for 18.11, please?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

GattoNero,

We are going to check with our engineering department. Check you PM when you have a chance.

0 Kudos
John_S_Intel
Employee

PROSet software version 18.11.0 (driver version 18.11.0.8) for the Intel 7165, 7160, 3165, and 3160 wireless adapters

The download links can be referenced here:

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Aleki and John, thanks very much.

Hope to see similar links soon for Win 10. Go live is tomorrow. You surely have RTM versions you've been playing with.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

GattoNero,

You are welcome.

0 Kudos
XMcKi
Novice

Aleki,

All of these links go to a 404 page. Did they get pulled?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

xmckinzie,

We are going to check on these and will get back to you soon.

Can you tell us exactly what is it you are looking for?

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

xmckinzie,

WE have just tried these two links in different browsers and they opened normally. Try to clean the cash on you browsers and then try again.

0 Kudos
XMcKi
Novice

Go to the IT Administrators link you posted. The newest drivers labeled 18.11.0 that were posted this month and try any of the links there. All of those zip files have broken links.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

xmckinzie,

Could you provide detailed information of the error message and if possible a picture so we can check it, please?

0 Kudos
CRees2
Novice

I have a Dell Inspiron 7537 running Windows 8.1 with an Intel wireless network adapter 7260-N. I have not been able to find the PROSet Connection Utility download. I have the latest driver 18.20.0.9 and Intel PROSet Wireless Software version 18.20.0. Both were installed through Intel Driver Update Utility. Could you please supply a link for this Utility? It is not available on the Dell Support site. This would help me tremendously with several issues in my home wireless network.

Thanks,

Cheryl

Edit:

The Intel Driver Update Utility History is attached and shows the downloads did not install. However, the Intel programs appear as installed in Programs and Features. Though it should be a separate post, I just wanted to mention that when I did download the Intel Driver Update Utility, the command prompt flashed quickly with "Williamette..." Since then. I have been receiving Event ID 2 warnings "ESRV_SVC_WILLAMETTE".

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

Hello creese1857,

As requested, here is the link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25276 Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software for Windows 8.1* Please let us know if you need anything else.

0 Kudos
CRees2
Novice

So sorry, I did an edit before seeing your reply.

0 Kudos
ASouz7
Honored Contributor II

creese1857,

This could be caused by several reasons and even a third-party software or a corrupted file could be causing the conflict. Intel recommends that you perform a clean uninstall from device manager, make sure no files from previous installations remained. Then proceed to the installation again.

As as second option, you may look at this link for further information: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-performance/error-esrvsvcwillamette/24e9d64a-b24a-4d76-8a3b-a1c28f410658?auth=1 error ESRV_SVC_WILLAMETTE - Microsoft Community

*NOTE: This link is being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

0 Kudos