Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7487 Discussions

Ongoing Centrino N2230 connection at boot up issues

idata
Employee

Well I have a brand new HP DV7 and I thought I had this WPA2 problem whipped but I don't. When I start the computer is does not connect automatically and I have to do it manually 2 times out of 10 start ups. Some days are better than others. Sometimes normal start ups are fine and it will only do it when I select restart on the computer instead of shut down.

I did figure out the last Router had to be set a certain way to connect to this machine and it was odd because any other laptop connects fine here and always have.

Now, I bought a new Linksys E1200 router the other day and this machine with the N2230 just does not like WPA2 but the other machines are fine. Once this connects it never drops but I am weary of having to connect manually at times.

I am wondering if another adapter might work in place of the N2230 ? My HP manual does not even list the 2230 for this machine.

I have done every adjustment I can think of plus I have the 15.6.0.19 driver.

If I have to get another N2230 what exactly would be the part number I need?

I need to do something to fix this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
38 Replies
idata
Employee

It hasn't missed a beat connecting with the old Netgear so far with WPA2-Personal set to "up to 150mbs".

It is 5-7 mbs slower tho on downloads.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

It's Thursday and the old slower Netgear still hasn't missed a beat with WPA2-Personal "up to 150 mbs" setting so I am thinking it is pretty much the conclusion this machine just doesn't like the faster N E1200 on any setting. It does connect 5 out of 6 times or sometimes 2 out of 3 so it isn't like I cannot get online.

The Netgear did screw up the exact same way like I was saying when it was set at "up to 54 mbs" for whatever reason. I haven't a clue.

The E1200 is a factory re-certified so maybe it is bad, I don't know. I suspect if I sent it in they would tell me it is good. The other machine with an Intel adapter connects to the E1200 fine. It isn't the same model adapter that is in this machine.

That's the report. Thanks.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Friday morning and in the last day and then some it connected every time with the Netgear. Today I switched back to the Linksys N router and it screwed up again but the other machine is fine using WPA2 and a different adapter.

That is where we are at on this. Not sure what to do from here. I think we have adjusted about everything.

Should I buy another 2230 adapter to try ?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Joe,

I would buy a Broadcom card at this point, you are having one of the many Proset issues that these users are having.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I have a notebook but thanks for the suggestion.

In my case I never have drop outs and it always connects when I use the f12 button to turn it off and back on, or connect manually by clicking on the signal icon and select connect. Just when I start the machine is the problem. Strange. Doesn't like the n router.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Since you have a laptop you can change the card to any Mini PCIE WiFi card that is not a 3x3 card. (3 antennas)

I recommend the Atheros or Broadcom based cards.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I will keep it as an option but I will probably hang with Intel Joe and see if he may come up with a plan at his convenience.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

If the router already has the firmware up to date then the issue could be related to something in your specific environment. Perhaps is related to where the router or laptop are located or the channel the router is set to; it may be crowded with other near signals from other routers, phones or microwaves. Changing the channel may help. You can use a third party program to check what channels the nearby routers are using (not including interference from other devices). http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/

In case you want to replace the wireless adapter I would certainly recommend contacting the computer manufacturer since the Intel® wireless adapters are meant to be professionally installed by Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) technicians on certified systems only.

Please also note that these adapters are not meant to be sold separately, your system must be compliant with the required FCC certifications in compliance with the International Special Committee for Radio Interference standards for radiated and conducted electromagnetic interference.

Regulatory information regarding hardware installation or upgrade:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-011644.htm

NOTE: These links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thanks for that. I downloaded the program and it shows 0 extra networks in the area and I have full bars and a link score of 100. I am just 10 feet from my router. Like I have said, 2 other machines, a Win 7 and Vista have 0 problems connecting on boot up or any other time.....with different adapters.

I tried various channels and am on 1 at the moment.

If it is of any meaning, when this Win 8 machine boots up it shows full bars for a few seconds and then a little star appears above the signal icon. No yellow exclamation point. Only screws up a couple times out of 10 boot ups so it is not a huge issue just a pain.

The OEM is of no help.

It is either the adapter or something to do with Win 8 near as I can tell. Doesn't matter what driver is in it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

The star above the Signal bars is an asterisk and denotes that there are wireless networks available that you can connect to. I would say it is a problem with the Intel card. Have you checked to see that you have only one instance of WiFi manager software running?

Also don't worry about the FCC regulations being thrown around, it has to do with manufacturers selling product that meet FCC requirements. If you change your WiFi card to something better than the Intel card the FCC is not going to do anything.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As far as I know Windows is managing the connection. I un-installed the Intel manager, that didn't help so there was no use in keeping it.

I have networks available and it doesn't autoconnect...huh.,... It will connect in exactly 1 minute if it fails to connect on start up.

You are right about the card. I had it out in about 30 seconds...put it back in and I don't see what the big deal is in replacing it with the same thing.

I suspect it is a Win 8 thing. Connects ok with the old Netgear non-N router but it is slower. I had to tinker with that quite a while to get it to connect every time tho.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

At this point it might be a good idea to check with the laptop manufacturer to find out if this has been identified as a common issue in these laptops. It may be identified indeed as a failed adapter since drivers, router and interference where ruled out.

The reason you should contact the computer manufacturer for a wireless card exchange is due to the fact that FCC requires the laptop manufacturer to ensure that they are compliant and stay compliant with these regulations. To ensure compliance the laptop manufacturers customize the wireless cards, white list the BIOS, and/or limit the system software-wise to avoid unsupported Radio frequency hardware to be installed.

This applies to all internal Radio frequency devices, not to USB or self-contained devices.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you for the reply. The OEM is of little help so I am not sure what to do at the moment.

No huge issue but quite interesting to me.

Almost seems like things are not stabilizing upon start up because it happens so fast ...and if I could wait just a bit longer before it tries to connect that might be the answer. If I could juggle the services a bit to start up the WLAN AutoConfig last it would be worth a try. Nothing depends on it but it depends on a few things.

Thanks

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Joe_Intel,

You reply to all these threads but you still stay out of the main thread that has caused the most issues regarding Intel, Their "Pro/set" and the Intel Centrino 6235 Wifi card. Why?

/thread/31090 http://communities.intel.com/thread/31090

Also, why do you hide behind the OEM when it comes to your products? Every other post you make points to the OEM integrator, how about taking responsibility?

You know it is not difficult for anyone to replace a Mini PCI-E card, I don't know why you would need a certified technician, you unsrew the mounting screws and pop the card out after disconnecting the antennas.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to jump in here. I have a new MSI GT70 running Windows 8 (which sucks) with a Centrino 2230 Network Adapter. The first day or two everything was fine...then it was dropping the connection every once in a while, now I can't stay connected for more than a few minutes.

I've followed some of the advice in all of these threads, and nothing seems to be working.

I'm considering just returning this new laptop.

I've tried the following:

i did the "netmsh" thing on a c prompt

i unchecked the ip v6 thing

i've updated the driver

etc, etc, etc...

I'm seriously hoping someone has an easy fix for this problem. I'm willing to try anything.

Help a brother out, before I have to send this back and go without a computer for my business for 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Travis

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Grasping at straws you may want to pop the back off and carefully check/re-seat the antenna connections on the 2230. Maybe one side was not installed properly.

I notice mine will sometimes start off with 2 bars less on the signal and then build up to full bars. Sometimes it will drop back to 1 bar less than full. The other machines start out at full bars and stay there. I am 10 feet away from the router.

Interesting.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

As Joe mentioned there is a possibility that the antennas may be disconnected/loose/damaged, usually this would cause a very bad signal and difficulty to see the networks.

In some situations if the laptop had suffered or is suffering from overheating then you may see a similar behavior, make sure that the computer has good ventilation, (no paper or cloth near the vents).

0 Kudos
JRich9
Beginner

Every 3-4th time I turn on my Samsung XE700T1C tablet (in the keyboard dock), the Centrino N 6235 will not connect (it does, however, upon reboot). This behavior was occurring before I upgraded to Win 8.1, and continues after, even though I unsinstalled and reinstalled both the Graphics drivers and the Wireless drivers after the upgrade. And your "Driver Update Utility" Husdawg cannot dentify ANY Intel drivers installed on my tablet (even though they are properly displayed in the Device Manager), so all the instructions from joe_intel to use the update utility are useless. I am writing this using my cell phone tethering, and am prepared to send Intel my bill if I have to continue to this technique to get online from now on.

0 Kudos