Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7725 Discussions

PC crashing when gaming, Event IDs related to Intel Wi-Fi

Reaktiivi
Beginner

Hello,

I have an annoying crashing problem. Here is my description of the situation.

PC configuration:

• Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
  • RAM: G.Skill 16 GB (2x8GB) Trident Z RGB, DDR4 3600MHz
  • PSU: Corsair RM850x 
  • Case: Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass RGB Edition
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-D15
  • SSD1: Samsung 500GB 970 EVO Plus M.2
  • SSD2: Samsung 500GB 860 EVO
  • SSD3: Samsung 500 GB 840 EVO

Problem: After a while of gaming (~30 minutes), wifi and audio services suddenly crash (see attachments). Computer remains operational otherwise, but there is no audio or access to the internet before a boot. Computer is around 3,5 years old, and the problem started to occur first time around 1,5 years ago. This problem shows up only when the pc is under load (gaming), not in light use (surfing in the web etc.).

After the crash, Device Manager shows errors (yellow triangle icon with an exclamation mark) for the following devices after the crash:

• Intel(R) I211 Gigabit Network Connection
  • AMD USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft)

According to Event Viewer, the following Administrative Events take place at the moment of the crash:

• Event ID: 2, Source: rtcx21
  • Event ID: 10317, Source: NDIS
  • Event ID: 5007, Source: Netwtw10
  • Event ID: 5005, Source: Netwtw10
  • Event ID: 5010, Source: Netwtw10
  • Event ID: 5002, Source: Netwtw10

I can also provide an Intel SSU report recorded after the crash upon request.

What I have tried so far to fix the problem:

• Update all possible drivers (devices, BIOS, chipset etc.).
  • Perform complete formatting and partitioning of hard drives and fresh install of Windows.
  • Tried both Win10 and Win11.
  • Disabled WLAN/LAN/Bluetooth modules of the motherboard and installed an external Wifi+Bluetooth adapter to PCI-e slot, and it worked successfully until I started gaming, when the same crash occurred again. When using the adapter, I got the same event IDs in the Event Viewer after the crash (5002/5005/5007/5010).
  • Clean dust away from the inside of the case. (Sidenote: A small motherboard cooler was basically covered with dust a while ago, and after I cleaned the dust away, the computer seemed to work normally for a while, but the problem returned after like two months. However, there is no new dust preventing the cooler’s function anymore.)
  • Tried with both power plans: balanced and high performance.
  • Using Device Manager, changed the power management settings of Intel ® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160 MHz and of Realtek PCIe 2.5GbE Family Controller so that the computer cant turn the device off to save power.

I have tried many things so far, but nothing seems to help. Also, I can’t pinpoint whether this is a hardware or software related problem. Please, could you help me out to fix this annoying problem? Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Reaktiivi
Beginner

Small update: I tested gaming again, this time by disabling all onboard Wifi/LAN/Bluetooth modules and by using USB Dongle adapters for Wifi and BT. The crash happened again in the same way, but this time the event viewer showed no events or errors taking place at the time of the crash.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Reaktiivi,

Thank you for posting in Intel Communities.

I am writing to seek clarification on the issue you've been experiencing. To ensure we address this matter effectively, could you please confirm whether this issue occurs across all the games you play, or is it isolated to a specific game?

Furthermore, if possible, do you have access to an alternative system where you can test your connection? This step would help us determine if the issue might be related to the Internet Service Provider (ISP) rather than the game itself.

Your cooperation in providing these details is crucial for us to proceed with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Reaktiivi
Beginner

Hello Caguicla,

Thanks for the answer. In the meanwhile, I did some more testing and managed to define that the problem is related to cooling. As I learned from other users of ASUS ROG STRIX X570 motherboards that the PCH thermal pad is of bad quality, I decided to try changing it. The old pad was all dried up and brittle as it crumbled away itself when I removed the heatsink. After installing a new thermal pad and running a performance intensive game for 2 hours, the problem did not occur anymore. So, more testing is needed before I can be sure, but for now it seems that PCH overheating was the problem.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Reaktiivi,

I appreciate the update.

It's reassuring to know that you've identified the root of the problem. I will keep this conversation active while we anticipate your report on the ongoing tests.

Should you require additional support, please don't hesitate to update this thread.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos
Caguicla_Intel

Hi Reaktiivi,

Good day!

I assume that the issue was completely resolved. Given that there has been no communication from your side recently, we are inclined to conclude this thread. Please note, if you require assistance in the future, you are welcome to initiate a new inquiry, as we will no longer be tracking this one.

Best regards,

Caguicla C.

0 Kudos