Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Please add option into Bluetooth driver, to disable wake events during modern standby and lid closed of laptops

MN0001
Novice

Because no one cares about this at Microsoft for years and years to address this, and it is a major issue for laptops, I ask if Intel could address this in their drivers, or be so nice, to ask someone at MS to address this maybe finally, to make laptops maybe once and for the first time in history, be usable with Windows 10.

The issue is as simple as it is dangerous: To this day, you CANT define for a modern standby device in Windows 10 what devices are allowed to wake up the device. This may not be an issue for tablets but it is for laptops. And that all laptops these days just come with modern standby support and no S3 sleep anymore.

Issue: Even with lid closed, a simple movement of a connected bluetooth mouth or keyboard wakes the laptop from modern standby and the laptop could easily burn to death with random high performance operations happening.

A normal user would assume, that if the lid is closed of a laptop, it stays sleeping, until the lid is opened again. This is NOT the case with a laptop and Windows 10 and modern standby. It is not acceptable to turn of your BT mice and keyboards before closing a laptop lid.

How to reproduce:

• use a bluetooth mouse
  • ping the laptops' WIFI via a 2nd device in LAN
  • put the modern standby enabled laptop to sleep via lid closing
  • ping stops, modern standby starts
  • move the bluetooth mouse
  • ping starts again, laptop is fully awake even with lid closed
  • even waiting for minutes now, the laptop wont enter modern standby anymore, ping is working forever, until the manual sleep timer kicks in. Though the display off timer should trigger it at lock screen after 15 seconds or so, which it doesn't (another bug)!

It is not wanted by design, that a bluetooth device could wake up a laptop, with its lid closed.

Intel needs to address this in the driver, because MS is not interested in looking into this, even it is a dangerous issue, burning laptops to death with lids closed in the bag.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MN0001,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.  

Thank you for your feedback, I will share this idea to appropriate team.

Regards,

Adrian M.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

@MN0001

Would you able to share more details about your setup (Win10 version, BT driver version, system details etc) or possibly support log collection?

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice

Windows 10 1909 latest stable, build 18363.657

AC9260 card with latest drivers 21.70

modern standby is set to "disconnected", which just is for wifi though, not bluetooth.

This was always the case, regardless what version.

Windows 10 has no option, powercfg doesnt work for modern standby, to configure, which device is allowed to wake up a laptop/tablet from modern standby. Lid closed status totally seems to be ignored by Windows 10 for this too.

I can wake up the laptop, even with lid closed, with bluetooth mouse movement from modern standby, This is totally not wanted behavior. Also the lock screen timer just powers off the display, not entering modern standby with it at the same time, totally making it even worse.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

@MN0001, What is your laptop brand/model etc? I am assuming you have updated to latest BIOS and up-to-date on drivers and other updates available on Windows Update. Logs collected via Microsoft's Feedback Hub tool (it is a Windows Store app) will be helpful. Can provide further instructions if you will be able to share the logs with Intel and submit an issue with Microsoft in case if the issue still reproduces after updating the system BIOS etc.

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice

It is a Dell XPS 15 9570. Of course I have latest bios, latest drivers (Intel wifi and bluetooth), latest Windows 10 stable. Modern standby is configured as "disconnected":

powercfg -a:

C:\Users\mkdr>powercfg -a

Die folgenden Standbymodusfunktionen sind auf diesem System verfügbar:

Standby (S0 Niedriger Energiestand – Leerlauf) Netzwerk getrennt

I could rage now about how bad modern standby is, how bad it is as a design for a laptop (with a high TDP of 45W+dGPU), how buggy it is, ever was, is, and ever will be and how bad and dangerous it is compared to S3 in general. How MS gives you not a single possibility to configure it. powercfg doesnt work and is ignored by Windows 10 if a device uses modern standby. You cant define, which USB devices are allowed to wake up the device anymore, as it was with S3 sleep.

But I will just focus here on the behavior of the bluetooth, in combination of having the lid closed of a laptop. MS doesnt seem to acknowledge the lid closed state of a laptop, in deciding if it is safe/allowed to wake up the laptop from modern standby, which is totally nonsense, and also dangerous.

If there was a simple GUI element, which let you define, which device is allowed to wake, like it was before via powercfg, this wouldnt be an issue at all. But there is none.

Intel has to ask MS if they could bring this forward (and maybe add a GUI so you are allowed to configure modern standby behavior more in detail and what devices are allowed to wake up the laptop). The chances for this to happen are going to zero though, and therefor Intel has to implement an option in the driver, you maybe can define, that all wake events are ignored, for bluetooth connections, or, totally shut down the bluetooth device / connections, the moment when modern standby enters and disconnected standby is configured.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

This is fine if the laptop is connected to an external display. I'm not sure if OS checks if any external display is connected or not and then prevent the system exiting modern standby when HID device is used. The system should re-enter MS quickly though if HID activity stops.

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
  1. no it does not re-enter modern standby quickly in this case, I tested it like mentioned above. this seems to be another bug. You can test it also with lid open, waking laptop up via hid event, you are on lock screen now. lock screen has a 20 second or so timer then display goes off again, but modern standby doesnt enter again. ping stays on forever to the laptop. it seems the monitoring of bluetooth/wifi activity is not quick enough actually and has a large/random time window to check/going sleep and is not coupled with entering modern standby time window, this is the job of the driver I guess and not OS. another example how badly designed modern standby is.
  2. if you carry a laptop in a bag with a bluetooth mouse, you have permanent movement of the mouse sensor, it is NOT wanted behavior if you have a laptop with lid closed (and no monitor connected to it, for example in bag), to be able to wake up with lid closed
  3. bluetooth needs to stop all connections the moment modern standby enters, if you have it configured disconnected, you dont want ANY hid device to wake up the laptop with lid closed
0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee
  1. Likely some other component/issue is preventing the system from entering MS. Likely not BT.
  2. it is something to look into. Not sure HID activity will occur when the sensor is not moved against a surface
  3. It does. Depending on the type of the HID (low energy or classic) the connection will be terminated by the OS or put in idle. Then BT module will wake the host if the HID attempts to connect for example

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
  1. no, because entering it manually for example via power key or start menu works, ping stops, not via the the short lock screen off timer though, with ongoing wifi connection. this was just an example, for the lid closed issue, because windows will be on lock screen with the lid closed after hid event, but then doesnt enter modern standby again after a few seconds, how it should do. it seems bluetooth stops connection just after a few minutes after modern standby starts with a large delay in between, again not wanted behavior.
  2. having a laptop carrying around with lid closed always the wanted behavior is => no wake up whatsoever, until lid opened again, no wifi wake ups, no bluetooth wake ups. you want it to sleep 100% during lid closed, because you mostly carry it around in your bag. putting a bluetooth mouse with it in a bag, and then have random wake up events all the time is not wanted behavior and dangerous.
  3. no it does not, that is the entire point, that you can still wake up the laptop with bluetooth mouse or keyboard. and there is n o option for the user to decide, if he wants this behavior or not. with old S3 sleep, you could disable all HID devices you wanted with powercfg, this is ignored for modern standby
0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

3. It does. For clarification, on MS system, BT wake is enabled by default. HID connection is restored or HID reconnects instantly if HID is moved or buttons /keys pressed.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

@MN0001, are you trying this with the laptop connected to AC power? Could you try in DC? The OS does avoid hot bad situation and wake is not enabled if LID closed in DC. please check and follow up

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice

It is not just "enabled by default" it is just ENABLED. You CANT disable it. That is the entire point, causing many issues. If lid is closed (and let it also be no monitor like you wanted this very important thing also be the case), no wake should be allowed by bluetooth. ALSO. Modern standby allows configuration as "disconnected standby", but bluetooth doesnt follow this rule, just wifi does. Another flaw in the design, and ignoring what the user wants. It is my PC and I want to decide, if I want to use a broken wake mechanism and fry my laptop in my bag and cause battery drain.... or I want to disable any wake up events, which I cant. Even if there is no way to do this, which is nonsense, Intel driver needs to follow the "disconnected standby" rule, also for bluetooth, and/or at least for lid closed and no monitor connected.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

@MN0001, could you confirm whether you are seeing the issue on DC power?

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice

I will test the next days both on battery and DC, if it behaves differently.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

@MN0001, The OS behavior you described in AC power is as expected. On batter/DC power, you will see BT wake not working when LID is closed. Wake is not enabled by the HID driver stack when LID is closed to avoid hot bag situation.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MN0001,

I will send you a private message to collect some information.

Best regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
AdrianM_Intel

Hello MN0001,

Were you able to confirm the behavior previously mentioned?

Regards,

Adrian M.

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
I cant login anymore to the Intel Forums, this happened before several times when I made a thread about some bugs in Intel drivers. Seems my login rights were removed to silence me. Not sure if this works via email. I tested it on battery, and it shows the same broken behavior. I can wake up the laptop via bluetooth HID of mouse or keyboard, even with lid closed. The laptop will wake up with lid closed on battery and hid activity. Also the screen off event trigger on Windows 10 lockscreen does not trigger modern standby, neither on AC or DC.
0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

The issue can't be reproduced on Dell XPS and Surface laptops. As explained before, the OS behavior is correct. I think you will have contact to Dell support.

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
I tried another Dell XPS 9570 with Intel 9260 and I can reproduce it there too. 1. be on battery, nothing connected to the laptop, no monitor 2. ping the laptop wifi from another device, use permanent ping -t ip 3. have bluetooth mouse connected 4. close the laptops lid 5. ping stops after a few seconds (modern standby kicks in) 6. wait until ping stops, now move the bluetooth mouse 7. laptops wakes up, ping starts again, laptop is fully awake I can just now via software which let me remote control mouse/keyboard over lan other pc, for example Logitech flow, move the mouse cursor to another pc, even with lid closed.
0 Kudos