Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Please add option into Bluetooth driver, to disable wake events during modern standby and lid closed of laptops

MN0001
Novice

Because no one cares about this at Microsoft for years and years to address this, and it is a major issue for laptops, I ask if Intel could address this in their drivers, or be so nice, to ask someone at MS to address this maybe finally, to make laptops maybe once and for the first time in history, be usable with Windows 10.

The issue is as simple as it is dangerous: To this day, you CANT define for a modern standby device in Windows 10 what devices are allowed to wake up the device. This may not be an issue for tablets but it is for laptops. And that all laptops these days just come with modern standby support and no S3 sleep anymore.

Issue: Even with lid closed, a simple movement of a connected bluetooth mouth or keyboard wakes the laptop from modern standby and the laptop could easily burn to death with random high performance operations happening.

A normal user would assume, that if the lid is closed of a laptop, it stays sleeping, until the lid is opened again. This is NOT the case with a laptop and Windows 10 and modern standby. It is not acceptable to turn of your BT mice and keyboards before closing a laptop lid.

How to reproduce:

• use a bluetooth mouse
  • ping the laptops' WIFI via a 2nd device in LAN
  • put the modern standby enabled laptop to sleep via lid closing
  • ping stops, modern standby starts
  • move the bluetooth mouse
  • ping starts again, laptop is fully awake even with lid closed
  • even waiting for minutes now, the laptop wont enter modern standby anymore, ping is working forever, until the manual sleep timer kicks in. Though the display off timer should trigger it at lock screen after 15 seconds or so, which it doesn't (another bug)!

It is not wanted by design, that a bluetooth device could wake up a laptop, with its lid closed.

Intel needs to address this in the driver, because MS is not interested in looking into this, even it is a dangerous issue, burning laptops to death with lids closed in the bag.

0 Kudos
27 Replies
MN0001
Novice
This is totally a bug or a time window issue. I did more testing: Have both a mouse and keyboard connected in this. 1. same scenario, battery, no monitor 2. have both keyboard and mouse connected via bt 3. now put mouse to off via power toggle of mouse itself 4. close laptop lid 5. wait 20 seconds, power on mouse via mouse power button 6. ping ect, ping stops properly, laptop is in modern standby sleep 7. power on mouse via power key, mouse reconnects, even with lid closed and lid was closed over 20 seconds ago => bad! bug! not wanted! If I do the same procedure, but wait 2 minutes with lid closed, and then power on the mouse via power button of the mouse, it WONT reconnect => wanted behavior. The keyboard though however keeps connected the entire time, and press can wake up the laptop. This is obvious a bug or not wanted behavior. It has to be addressed, that all bluetooth connections to hid devices are disconnected, the same instant, modern standby kicks in, not "maybe" a few minutes later. Also all wake events need to be BLOCKED for security reasons with lid closed in modern standby, it is totally not working as intended.
0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
I tested this on a MS Surface 7 Pro tablet with keyboard dock (lid closed) which has a Intel AX201 card, and it shows correct behavior, not able to wake it up with keyboard lid closed via bluetooth mouth compared to the Dell XPS 15 9570 with a Intel 9260 card. What the difference here. Is the 8750H+PCH not capable to shut down usb/bluetooth in modern standby properly? Is there a secret/hidden/undocumented regedit value you can set, so bluetooth behaves differently in modern standby? Or is it the faul of the 9260 compared to AX201? There must be a difference, which results in the wrong behavior for the laptop, and right for the tablet. Intel would be the only one able to help here, and I would appreciate for any advice or information.
0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Only guess I've is that the OS (HID stack specifically) is not getting LID closed event from the BIOS. The systems go through hardware certification (or WHQL) for modern standby before release. So it is not BT issue or processor/chipset issue. 2 other dells systems do not have this issue.

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
But the lid close event works, because it triggers modern standby when closing, and wakes up the laptop when lid is being opened. But then the combination of lid is closed+on battery+no monitor/dock doesnt work as a condition for Windows 10 to decide to ignore hid events / disconnect hid devices. This wouldnt be an issue it all, if there was a GUI for modern standby, where you could configure its behavior and manually block wake events. Is there an undocumented registry flag maybe for this. Does the Intel HID Event Filter driver has anything to do with this? It's from 2017 and there is no updated version of it available.
0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
I found a fix for this by myself. As I assumed there is a hidden/undocumented registry value you can set to prevent this to happen, at least on battery. I compared all registry settings under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power for the Dell XPS laptops and the MS Surface 7 Pro, and noticed, that there was a dword on the surface, which was missing on the Dell laptops: EnableInputSuppression set to 1. I googled the value and found this documentation, which was just ironically changed some days after I made this post: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/power-settings/power-controls (edited 02/27/2020) For the EnableInputSuppression flag it says: Use to enable input suppression on a Modern Standby system with a clamshell form factor when the lid is closed, there is no external monitor connected, and the system is on DC power. When the conditions above are met, it is expected that the system will stay in a low power state to preserve battery life. However, some input devices can wake the system from standby even if the user is not using them. For example, a Bluetooth mouse paired with the system may be stored inside a laptop bag with the system, and the motion of the mouse causes the system to wake. Enabling input suppression prevents this behavior. The documentation says though, that 1 is the default value, but this flag just exists since Available in Windows 10, version 1803 and later versions of Windows. I am on latest Windows 10 1909 of course btw. So this seems to be a bug in Windows 10, that it does not count as 1 for default value, when not set. I also noticed another flag, which was set on the Surface and not on the Dell laptops: LidNotifyReliable set to 1. The irony again here is, that the documentation says the value is named differently, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/power-settings/power-controls-lidnotificationsarereliable I added both dwords to the Dell laptop, and now it works, ignoring HID events from BT, on battery and lid closed. Laptop does not wake up anymore. This totally has to be changed / reported to MS, that it does not count as default, when not set manually. The entire documentation of these hidden / undocumented modern standby flags is a total mess. Most of the other values under Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power are nowhere documented, what they do. For example DirectedDripsAction which is set to 2 for my Dell laptop, but it is missing on the Surface tablet, and I wonder what it does. Or EventProcessorEnabled set to 1, if this also could mean setting it to off, to ignore all events under modern standby and give better sleeping.
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Great! Those registry keys were preventing lid notification to the hid stack. These keys were supposed to be OEM customized.

0 Kudos
MN0001
Novice
Would you suggest to set LidNotifyReliable to 1 or 0 for a laptop like the XPS 15, because it was not set but on the Surface tablet. Maybe EnableInputSuppression=1 is already enough. Do you know what DirectedDripsAction=2 does?
0 Kudos