Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7430 Discussions

ProSet is a good tool, but it would be great if it had IFTTT capabilities and ...

ppete14
Beginner

ProSet would be a great tool if it had IFTTT capabilities such as disconnecting from wireless if there is a wired connection available. Another issue is better prioritization of or preferential connection to wireless connections not based on signal strength or intermittent (short) loss of signal. Maybe someone knows of other tools that can turn off wireless when connected to a wired network, or better prioritize wireless network connections?

I work in an office with a notebook computer. When I go to a meeting in a conference room or next to another person's desk I'm on wireless. However, when I return to my desk and use a docking station with a wired network and I have to manually turn off the wireless. I would prefer this to be automatic.

The other issue is that we have multiple wireless networks; trusted (for company assets) and untrusted for guests. Sometimes the connections to the trusted wireless fail or are weaker than the guest wireless so the notebook computer fails over to the untrusted network and I can't get to the Intranet servers. ProSet seems to jump to the strongest rather than having some "intelligence" about what's the best wireless.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello PeterInDC,

The features available with Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software depend a lot on the Operating System and PROSet version you use.

For further details, please let us know the OS and PROSet version, as well as the model of your Wireless Adapter.

Regards,

Jonathan
ppete14
Beginner

Thanks for the quick reply.

My configuration is:

Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64-bit

Intel Core i7-5600U

PROSet/Wireless WiFi Software 18.40.0.0

Plug-ins: Intel PROSet/Wireless WiFi Connection Utility 17.14.0.0

Components: Various 18.40.0.0, 15.0.0.0

Driver: 18.40.0.9

Wireless adapter is:

Intel Dual Band Wireless - AC 7265

It is a Dell Lattitude D7450, so I'm not sure if Dell provided a modified version. I downloaded a more recent version from Intel but haven't installed it yet.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the information you provided, we appreciate your feedback and would like to refer to some of the items you mentioned:

- The ability to disable the wireless adapter when the system is connected to a wired network, or viceversa, can be handled at different levels. Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software in Windows* 7 has the "Adapter switching" feature, that allows to do this. This requires the IT administrator tools. It is worth to mention that Adapter switching from PROSet is not compatible with Windows* 8 or newer.

Keep in mind that many motherboards have an option in the BIOS to do this as well, in this case, the BIOS has a higher priority than the driver and or the OS. You might want to check the following advisory for more information:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000005972.html Learn How to Use Adapter Switching with Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software

- Regarding network priority, When you use Intel® PROSet Wireless Connection Utility it has the option to Move Up or Down your wireless profiles, this allows a certain level of control over the priorities given to your available networks. You can also exclude networks to prevent Automatic connections as well.

We would like to mention that with Windows® 10, the wireless connections are mainly handled by the OS; features like the WiFi connection utility and Adapter switching are not available for this OS. Future options related to these topics will probably come from the OS side and not the adapter driver/software.
0 Kudos
ppete14
Beginner

I mischaracterized PROSet as missing these options. Thanks for setting me straight and letting me know how to get to these features. I would like a little more flexibility with adapter switching but what you outline is very useful.

--Peter

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

We are glad to know that the information provided helped to resolve your inquiry. Feel free to contact us if you have any additional questions about this topic.

0 Kudos