Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Problem with Bluetooth using Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (AX200NGW)

Hari
Beginner

I have an MSI B360M based motherboard running Windows 10 in my desktop that got two M.2 slots. I used one of them to install Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 (AX200NGW) card hoping to add wi-fi and bluetooth functionalities. I had to use an adapter card as well because this motherboard only supports M.2 Key M. After installation of the hardware and drivers, Wi-Fi is working just fine but Bluetooth functionality is not added. It's not even listed in the device manager. BT driver installation went fine; does it mean it was able to see the BT hardware installed? Any help to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Cards like the AX200 are designed to be used in M.2 Type E connectors; they are not designed to be used in M.2 Type M connectors. Using an adapter to convert between the two is not complete; the M.2 Type M connector does not provide the USB 2.0 lane required to support Bluetooth.

All is not completely lost. You can get an adapter card that will allow you to mount the AX200 card in a PCIe x1 connector - and support the USB connection and provide external antennas for the card. Here is a link to the card that I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFGYAX6.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Cards like the AX200 are designed to be used in M.2 Type E connectors; they are not designed to be used in M.2 Type M connectors. Using an adapter to convert between the two is not complete; the M.2 Type M connector does not provide the USB 2.0 lane required to support Bluetooth.

All is not completely lost. You can get an adapter card that will allow you to mount the AX200 card in a PCIe x1 connector - and support the USB connection and provide external antennas for the card. Here is a link to the card that I purchased: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MFGYAX6.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
Hari
Beginner

Scott, Thanks so much for your reply! In fact there are pins on the adapter board I bought to connect to USB; it's just that I didn't realize that I needed to connect them to make BT work. I did that now and BT has started working

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

You have an adapter that lets you plug a M.2 Type E device into a M.2 Type M connector and this device also has the needed USB output? Please send me a link to information regarding this device.

Warning: It is necessary to install both the Intel Wireless driver package and the Intel Bluetooth driver package. You will have problems if you attempt to run with the default Microsoft Bluetooth driver. The two services share the transmitters and the 2.4GHz band and their operation must be coordinated. Both driver packages are necessary for this.

...S

0 Kudos
Hari
Beginner

Here is a link to the adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079NB8J3B/

I did install both the drivers. I actually don't need the wifi functionality at the moment so not using it; just using BT for now. I am currently using small dual antennas that came with the AX200 board. BT's range seems to very small using them. Having trouble connecting to a BT sound system that's 6ft away. Need to replace them in near future

0 Kudos
Freddious
Beginner

Hello

Is there a way to use the old AC8265 bluetooth functionality, because it's still in my laptop, but removed its antennas and connected it to my new AX200 wifi card (installed with PCI E to M connector)

0 Kudos
Hari
Beginner

Why can't you use the new AX200's bluetooth functionality? You will need antennas to use the old card

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

But, in order to use its Bluetooth or WiFi functionality, it is necessary to connect antennas to the card that you insert into this adapter.

...S

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello all

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

Since this thread has been marked as "solved", in case you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer being monitored.

@Freddious, regarding your questions, we kindly recommend checking this further with your computer manufacturer. Installation or use of Intel® Wireless Adapters is subject to country-specific legal regulations. Some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapters to be certified with the antenna that is intended to be used together in the system, while some countries require the Intel® Wireless Adapter to be certified at the full system level.

For more information please refer to this link: Regulatory Information Regarding Wireless Hardware Installation or Upgrade

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005687/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

0 Kudos
JJ_T
Beginner

I was able to resolve the issue for Windows 10.  If fast boot is enabled in the BIOS and/or in Windows 10, the Bluetooth device is never powered down and eventually Bluetooth disappears as a device. Also make sure in the Windows power management settings that the shutdown action is actually set to shut down the computer rather than put it to sleep. If you turn off both fast boot in the BIOS and in Windows 10 and shut down is enabled for the power button,  Bluetooth will not drop off and will stay present. The difference is when you turn off the computer, Bluetooth is powered down all the way and this is what resolves the issue of the device disappearing.

n_scott_pearson
Super User

Thanks, that's good information. My personal opinion is that the negatives of the BIOS' Fast Boot feature simply overwhelm the positives. I always disable it. As for Windows' Fast Start, I consider it almost a travesty that MS choose to default it to enabled. I always turn it off.

....S

0 Kudos
torfox
Beginner

Thanks that works for me

0 Kudos