Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Problems with installing and running Bluetooth

DMunk
Beginner

I recently upgraded my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. Before the upgrade I de-installed the WiFi and Bluetooth drivers for my N-6235. After the upgrade I ran the Intel Driver Update utility, and I installed the recommended drivers. That is to say, the utility gave me the 32 bit WiFi drivers, so I had to manually get the 64 bit drivers.

I first installed the WiFi drivers, and then the Bluetooth drivers. The strange thing is that the Update utility still complains that my Bluetooth drivers are outdated. So I de-installed them, and the re-installed them again, but to no avail. At present I have the PROSet/Wireless software for Bluetooth patch version 17.0.1423.2 loaded, and driver version 17.0.1405.0464 .

The second problem is that I can't get Bluetooth working. I can switch it on and of with Fn + F12, but when it is switched on it will only search for devices, and nothing else. It will stay searching for ever.

I would be grateful for any help in solving these problems.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Grunnsat - Please ignore about Driver update utility issues. Uninstall Bluetooth software via Control Panel | Uninstall programs. Cold boot the system (shutdown /p from command or Shift+Shutdown menu option). Then install the driver this http://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23999/eng/BT_17.0.1405.02_e164.exe&Lang=eng&Dwnldid=23999 BT_17.0.1405.02_e164.exe. Let me know how it went.

0 Kudos
DMunk
Beginner

Thanks for your reply Muthu,

After the uninstall I did a very cold boot, shfit + shutdown followed by removing the power cord and the battery pack for some time. The driver you mentioned is exactly the driver that I have been trying all the time. Unfortunately this procedure didn't change anything, Bluetooth keeps searching forever.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

Could you provide a screenshot? And, are trying to pair a BT device? On Windows 8.1, do not use Fn+F12 key for turning BT ON/OFF. Instead, use the slider via PC Settings | Devices screen (metro UI).

0 Kudos
DMunk
Beginner

I have paired my Android mobile phone some time ago. However I can't make a connection from my phone.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

From your phone, are you trying to transfer a file or something? Other than file transfer or transfer contacts, there is nothing else you can do between PC and phone over BT. Looks like you have functional BT otherwise.

0 Kudos
DMunk
Beginner

On my Android phone I go to settings > Bluetooth, and there I can see all paired devices. When a device gets connected the name of the device turns blue, and it will say connected. That doesn't happen with the PC, it only shows "paired". As long as the PC is searching, it is not possible to make a Bluetooth connection AFAIK.

0 Kudos
Muthu_K_Intel
Employee

If the PC offers any services the phone could use then I think it will stay connected. Did you try to make a network connection from the PC?

Go to devices & Printers, find the phone, right click on it and choose network connection.

Other than that, you should be able send or receive file with the phone.

0 Kudos
DMunk
Beginner

I can find the phone in Devices. With right-click I can see the Bluetooth services for this phone, and the are "Send File" and "Synchronize PIM Data with Phone Book Access". If there would be a Bluetooth connection between the phone and the PC, I would see the name of the PC in blue characters on my phone, and I could see the same services on my phone. That does not happen, and it can not happen because the PC does not stop searching for new devices. Connections can only be set up if the PC is not in the searching and pairing phase.

I did try to send a file from the PC, but obviously 0 bytes were transferred.

0 Kudos