Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Proset/Wireless Installs Wrong Driver version for Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

MCurn
Beginner

When installing the latest versions of the ProSet/Wireless drivers from Intel (e.g. 19.60.0), the network driver version installed is 19.51.0.4.

According to the documentation the driver version should be 18.33.7.2:

Driver version = 18.33.7.2 for Windows 10 for 7265, 3160, and 7260 adapters

It says 19.51.0.4 is only for 3168, 3165, and 17265 adapters.

My device is definitely the Dual-Band 7265, not the tri-band 17265.

This driver version 19.51.0.4 is not working correctly. I get very, very slow SMB file read speeds, i.e. only 50kb/s.

I uninstalled 19.60.0 & in-installed the driver for the network device. Not matter what I did, Windows kept defaulting to a driver version of 19.1.0.4 - presumably this is a default driver that comes with Windows 10.

I tried to install Proset/Wireless 18.33.0 to get the correct version. The package installs but it does not install the 18.33.0 driver.

Fortunately when using the default Windows driver 19.1.0.4 I get the correct SMB file read speeds, e.g. 10Mbs.

So how do I get to install the correct driver version for this device?

I tried the Intel Driver utility but that just wants to re-install 19.60.0 which causes the network performance problem.

I have a HP Laptop running Windows 10 64bit. HP do not supply a custom WiFi driver.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello Chippie,

In regards to the driver installed, some versions of the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 use 19.51.0.4, it will depend on the revision that was used in your PC by the Computer Manufacturer. You will have the latest drivers as long as you use the most recent version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows® 10*.

Regarding the slow speed, here are a few items for your consideration:

- The https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/OEMs.html Computer Manufacturer Support is always the best source to obtain drivers. As noted in our download center:

"The driver or software for your Intel® component might have been changed or replaced by the computer manufacturer. We recommend you work with your computer manufacturer before installing our driver so you don't lose features or customizations."

- Any of the three driver versions are valid options (OEM, Inbox, Generic), in some scenarios one may work better than other. If HP does not have a driver available and the generic one from Intel® Download Center does not work well, then we advise you to use the Inbox driver from Windows*.

As additional information, we've had a few reports from other users regarding low speeds or errors after Windows* 10 RS2 update, this happens with some Intel® Wireless Adapters as well as adapters from other Manufacturers. For this type of cases, we advise to perform the workarounds mentioned in the following Microsoft* forum: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba WiFi issues with Creators Update.

The workarounds mentioned are using the inbox drivers, disabling RSC, or changing the MTU size. Please check the thread for more information.

Note: Third party links are being offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel of the content, products, or services offered there.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello Chippie,

Please let us know if you have any further questions about this topic.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos
MCurn
Beginner

Hi,

it seems that the latest fix from Microsoft (KB4022716) has fixed the problem. It talks about the RSC problem & a fix for it.

I have reinstalled the latest Intel WiFi software and performance is back to what I used to have.

Thanks for clarification over the driver version. Maybe you should update your documentation for this device since it is confusing, making me think the problem was because the wrong driver was installed.

idata
Employee

Hello Chippie,

We are glad to know that the issue has been resolved, we've had some reports to inform that this Windows* update actually helps with this type of wireless issues. We are sure this will be a great reference for other users as well.

Regards,

Jonathan B.
0 Kudos