Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7649 Discussions

Regarding connection priority in an environment where Wi-Fi5 and Wi-Fi6 coexist

ty19
Beginner
In an environment where Wi-Fi5 and Wi-Fi6 coexist, is it possible that Wi-Fi6 will be prioritized in the initial setting state regarding the connection priority of the Intel PC?
For example, if the radio wave from the wifi5 compatible AP is stronger than the radio wave from the wifi6 compatible AP, is it possible for wifi6 to be prioritized?
I am glad if you could tell me.
Thank you.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ty19

Thank you for posting on the Intel Communities. I understand that you want to know if a Wifi 6 connection can be prioritized love a Wifi 5 network even if the former has a lower signal strength. I know this is important to you and we will be happy to help.

We will need to further check these questions with our team, in order to share with you accurate information please let us know the model of your wireless adapter.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ty19

Please let us know the model of your wireless adapter so we can continue to help you with this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
ty19
Beginner
Sorry for the late reply.

The wifi nic on the PC is below.

Intel R Wi-Fi 6 AX201 160MHz

I would appreciate it if you could contact me here.
Thank you.
0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ty19

Thank you for sharing the model of your adapter with us. I will check if there is a method to prioritize an AX connection over AC. I will get back to you once I have an update on this issue.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ty19

For the wireless adapter to choose the WIFI 6 connections over the WIFI 5 network, your will need to set the adapter to AX mode only. You will need to do the following:

• Go to Device Manager> Network Adapters
  • Right Click on Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX201
  • Click on Properties
  • Go to the Advance Settings tab
  • Look for Wireless mode or 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless Mode
  • Choose 802.11ax

Let us know if the configuration works as expected.

Best Regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
Hugo_Intel
Employee

Hello ty19

We wanted to check if you were able to check our last recommendations and try setting your wireless adapter to AX mode so it prioritizes so Ax connection. Let us know if it worked.

Best regards,

Hugo O.

0 Kudos
DeividA_Intel
Employee

Hello ty19,  

I was checking your thread and see that we have not heard back from you.  

I’m going to close your post, but if you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to create a new thread. 

Regards,  

Deivid A.  

Intel Customer Support Technician  

0 Kudos