Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Severe problems with the Wireless-AC 8265 driver

headedspy
Beginner

Hello there,

I have a severe problem with my wireless adapter - on random intervals it disconnects from the Wi-Fi network and is unable to connect again until reinstalled. It does that without warning and occasionally even refuses to reinstall the driver, giving me an error code 10.

So far I've tried to install several drivers and turning off all power saving settings but no results.

It's rendering my computer useless and it's pretty frustrating having to reinstall the drivers every 15 minutes or so.

I also found out that the windows network adapter troubleshooter manages to resolve the issue but again only temporary.

Any help would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

headedspy, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

In order for us to provide the most accurate assistance, we just wanted to confirm a few details about your system:

What is the model of the motherboard?

If this is a laptop, what is the model of it?

Is this a new computer?

Was it working fine before?

When did the issue start?

Did you make any recent hardware/software changes?

The wireless card, did you purchased it separately or did it came installed on the computer?

Which Windows* version are you using?

Does the problem happen at home or work environment?

Please provide the SSU report so we can verify further details about the components in your platform:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-?product=91600

Any questions, please let me know.

Regards,

Albert R.

Intel Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

0 Kudos
headedspy
Beginner

Thank you for your fast reply,

It's an ASUS VivoBook X505ZA laptop I bought around a year and several months ago. It was working fine until several months ago. I haven't made any hardware changes and the wireless card is the same as the one that came in with the laptop. I am using Windows 10 version 1903 and the problem also occurs on different Wi-Fi networks. I will attach the SSU report.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

I suggest you do a clean install. The process for doing so is as follows:

1. If you haven't already, download - but do not install just yet - the latest Bluetooth and WiFi drivers for your adapter. Here are links to these drivers: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29902 and https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/29919.
  2. Disable Internet access. Unplug Ethernet cable and/or disable wireless. Keep disabled until told to re-enable.
  3. From Apps & Features, check for instances of Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Intel Wireless Bluetooth. If none, skip to step 6.
  4. Uninstall each instance present. When prompted, choose to "Discard Settings". 
  5. Manually reboot your computer.
  6. In Device Manager, check Network Adapters for an entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265. If none, go to Step 9.
  7. Right click on the entry for Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 and uninstall it, choosing to (checkmark) Delete the driver software for this device.
  8. Go to Step 5.
  9. (Optional but recommended) Clean out all temporary files using the Windows Clean Disk tool. I recommend that you checkmark all categories offered, even if no files currently (so it leaves it set up for next invocation).
  10. (Optional but recommended) Clear each of your browsers' cache.
  11. Install the Bluetooth driver package (rule: always do Bluetooth first).
  12. Install the Wireless driver package.
  13. Manually shutdown and reboot your computer.
  14. Enable Internet access.
  15. Test.

Hope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
headedspy
Beginner

Thanks for your reply! I followed the steps exactly but at the end I was given the error "Can't connect to this network" on every Wi-Fi I tried to connect to.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Ok. Please run the SSU report again. I want to see if same type of errors are appearing post reinstall.

...S

0 Kudos
headedspy
Beginner

Okay, I went through the steps again and this time it worked. I ran the SSU report again and saved the info. Literally 10 minutes later the driver broke down again and displayed the "Can't connect to this network" error message. I ran the SSU report again and I'm attaching both info files.

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

Where in this process were reboots done (if any)? I note that there is USB device connection in failing report but none in working report.

...S

0 Kudos
headedspy
Beginner

I did two reboots as stated in the steps: One after uninstalling all Intel instances in "Apps & Features" and one after installing the driver packages; As stated in the steps. Also I do a reboot every time the error "Can't connect to this network" is present and I'm unable to reinstall the drivers (due to error with code 10)

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

headedspy, Thank you for posting in the Intel® Communities Support.

Just to let you know, we always recommend to install the Wireless driver provided by the manufacturer of the computer, since that driver was heavily customized by them to work with your specific platform.

I look in ASUS's web site and the latest Wireless driver they have available is version 20.80.0.1991.04, for testing purposes, could you please try a clean installation of that driver? Once you get the chance, please let us know the results:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000022173/network-and-i-o/wireless.html

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ASUS-VivoBook-15-X505ZA/HelpDesk_Download/

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
headedspy
Beginner

I installed the drivers mentioned and upon running the batch file in the PowerShell I received the following output:

ProSetExtension.INF
oem98.inf

ProSetSWComponent.inf
oem92.inf

[19/11/2020 22:24:03]    Start check registry
[19/11/2020 22:24:03]    Check: PASS
[19/11/2020 22:24:03]    End check registry
[SC] OpenService FAILED 1060:

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.

The system cannot find the path specified.

After that the device remained missing in device manager even after restarting.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

headedspy, Thank you very much for providing that information.

You mentioned you are using "Windows* 10 version 1903", do you have the option to update Windows* to version 1909 and test the Wireless connection? Please back up any important information you might have on your system.

The driver installation was done manually or unattended?

Could you please provide the exact steps that you follow in order to get that error in Power Shell?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
headedspy
Beginner

Hello Albert,

I do not have the option to update my Windows to a newer version. The installation was done manually, following the steps in the links. I downloaded the files, ran the setup_Proset.bat file through the PowerShell console and that's where the error output was received.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello headedspy, I just wanted to check if you saw the information posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello headedspy, Thank you very much for sharing those details.

Is there any reason why you cannot upgrade the Windows* version to 1909?

You mentioned you, "ran the setup_Proset.bat file:", where are you getting that file from?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello headedspy, I just wanted to check if you saw the questions posted previously and if you need further assistance on this matter?

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos
Alberto_Sykes
Employee

Hello headedspy, Since I have not heard back from you, we are closing the case, but if you have any additional questions, please post them on a new thread so we can further assist you with this matter.

Since you already tested both, the Wireless drivers provided by ASUS and the ones provided by Intel®, what we recommend to do next is to get in contact directly with ASUS to gather the instructions on how to do a BIOS update to the latest version and maybe to take the laptop directly to them to do a physical inspection of it since the issue could be related to a hardware problem with the unit itself.

Regards,

Albert R.

0 Kudos