Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

Silent install of drivers, error codes?

Judicator_375
Beginner

Hi all, this might come as a silly question, but i'm currently trying to play with command line deployment of the proset wifi driver for a mixture of laptops with a mixture of hardware profiles - 8265 series, 9560 series, AX200 series, etc. 

From Intel's own documentation, the command would be (for example):

blurb_22_80_1.exe -s -l "c:\somefolder\log file path.log"

and in general that works - but from testing i get two errors very occasionally returned. Error code 1603 and 350. 1603 appears to be driver not applicable (fine), but i can't find what error 350 might be. If i installed the package myself directly as administrator, it appears to install fine. 

I have found documentation about error codes from the bluetooth installer, but not for the wifi one. Does anyone know what error 350 might mean, or know where I can find the error documentation? For example does it mean: reboot pending so didn't deploy? 

Appreciate any help someone can offer!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Judicator_375

After checking this further, we would like to share the following information:

a- Error code 350 is pending reboot, and it really does not depend on us. If in the previous installation one of the INFs requested reboot (quite common with the WiFi driver, no idea about BT) then any installation afterward will request reboot, this can also happen if there is a pending Windows update.

b- Error code 1603 is a general error, it can be anything from an exception in code to a problem with the setup.xml. It would be needed to see the log for that. (You may share the log so we can review it further to see if there are any additional details we might provide).

We recommend performing a Windows update and also we would suggest referring to your Computer Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to check this further since this error could be linked to the operating system (OS).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

Intel Customer Support Technician

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
AndrewG_Intel

Hello @Judicator_375

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

In order to review this further could you please provide us with the following information?

1- Are the Wireless cards the original cards that come with the systems? Or did you integrate the wireless cards into the systems?

2- How many devices are you deploying? How many are affected by this behavior? Please provide examples of the computers' makers and models that you are using:

3- Just for reference purposes and to make sure we have the proper information, could you please share the link of the Intel® driver(s) that you are using?

4- What Windows* version are you using (Windows 10 or 11? Windows Pro, Home, Enterprise or LTSC? etc). Please also provide us with the Windows* Build/Version number (e.g.: 21H1?)

5- Please provide step-by-step instructions for replication purposes so we may understand better the scenario and the exact steps that you are following to perform the Silent Installation:

6- When and where do you receive the Error codes 1603 and 350? Is it when trying to install the driver? Is it after installing the driver and using the computers under "regular use"? Do you have this issue with the Wireless, with Bluetooth, or with both? Could you please provide more details and screenshots if possible?

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Judicator_375
Beginner

Hi AndrewG,

All should be original cards from purchase from the manufacturer, they're Dell Latitudes and Precisions, mostly 54XX series (00,10,20,80,90) and 55xx/75xx/77xx (10, 20, 30, 40, 50) series. All machines are Windows 10 Enterprise x64 but a selection of 1909 and 20H2. (probably 90% are 1909).

In original testing on 40 devices, I didn't have any failures in deployment. Two days into a more thorough testing deployment (targeting another 150 machines) the stats were:-

Deployment to the following:
Model: Latitude 5290 2-in-1
Model: Latitude 5300
Model: Latitude 5300 2-in-1
Model: Latitude 5310
Model: Latitude 5310 2-in-1
Model: Latitude 5320
Model: Latitude 5400
Model: Latitude 5410
Model: Latitude 5420
Model: Latitude 5480
Model: Latitude 5490
Model: Precision 5520
Model: Precision 5530
Model: Precision 5540
Model: Precision 5550
Model: Precision 7510
Model: Precision 7520
Model: Precision 7530
Model: Precision 7540
Model: Precision 7550
Model: Precision 7720
Model: Precision 7740
Model: XPS 13 9365

'350' errors: 9
1x Latitude 5490 (card: 8265)
4x Latitude 5400 (card: 9560)
4x Latitude 5410 (card: AX201)

WiFi Driver being used is the recent 22.80 release from here (as it affects bugs in the 8260 device, which is in a reasonably big percentage of my eventual total machines). I'm also pushing a sister bluetooth msi driver from here at the same time, but having 100% success rate with that (so far).

I'm testing / deploying using enterprise deployment tool PDQ Deploy.  There are two stages of relevance in one package, one "install" stage each per installer (per attached pictures):- 

a) WiFi-22.80.1-Driver64-Win10-Win11.exe -s -l "C:\Log\Update_Dell_WiFi_22_80_x64.log"
b) msiexec.exe /i "Intel Bluetooth.msi" ALLUSERS=1 /qn /norestart

The error 350 is returned from PDQ as a status result. You can see from the return results picture that i've also tried this with the 22.70 driver update as well same error (often the same machines).

As stated, the bluetooth MSI works fine, but the WiFi driver silent install, not so much. I think this is as a result of a reboot / uptime / pending patch issue preventing install, i'm just confused as to why the same thing happens on a machine i've just rebooted. Unless something is repeatedly beating my deployment to tell the computer to mark a pending reboot is needed. I just really need confirmation of that or if its something else.

Attached an example log (log 1) from one of the machines with a 350 error i'm working with. 

Also, i've worked out my "1603" error is related to an errant GPO for some reasons stopping driver installation "due to policy". I know we have a such a policy that can interfere with driver installation, so i'll have to come up with a workaround.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Judicator_375

Thank you for your response and for all the details provided.

Please allow us to review this further. We will be posting back in the thread as soon as more details are available or in case additional information is required from your environment.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Judicator_375

After checking this further, we would like to share the following information:

a- Error code 350 is pending reboot, and it really does not depend on us. If in the previous installation one of the INFs requested reboot (quite common with the WiFi driver, no idea about BT) then any installation afterward will request reboot, this can also happen if there is a pending Windows update.

b- Error code 1603 is a general error, it can be anything from an exception in code to a problem with the setup.xml. It would be needed to see the log for that. (You may share the log so we can review it further to see if there are any additional details we might provide).

We recommend performing a Windows update and also we would suggest referring to your Computer Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) to check this further since this error could be linked to the operating system (OS).

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Judicator_375

We are checking this thread and we would like to know if you were able to review our previous post. Please do not hesitate to contact us back if you have additional inquiries.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos
Judicator_375
Beginner

Hi AndrewG - the confirmation that error 350 is just pending restart required is all I needed. I should be able to puzzle out the 1603 error myself - as I say we have a policy that prevents installs of certain drivers which I think we just need to temporarily suspend. Any anomalies left after that will be minor (I hope). Thankyou for your time in confirming.

0 Kudos
AndrewG_Intel

Hello Judicator_375

You are very welcome and thank you for your response.

Since the thread has been marked as "Solved" and there are no more questions, we will proceed to close it now. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

It has been a pleasure to assist you.

Best regards,

Andrew G.

0 Kudos