Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Slow download over wifi using 7260ac

JQuy
Beginner

I've been experiencing slow download speeds with my wireless-ac dual band 7260. I can't be specific of when the problem first started, but I feel it coincided with the creator's update for windows 10. I'm currently getting speeds ranging between 20-35Mbps down over my 802.11ac network using 5ghz band. My isp package is supposed to provide service in the 70-80ish range and can be verified using my phone or tablet.

Computer is using Windows 10 Home v1703 Build 15063.540. AP is an Arris/Pace 5268AC using firmware v10.5.3.527283-att.

Ive tried following the suggested workarounds from this thread: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/wifi-issues-with-creators-update/4a20ba4f-33dc-4397-9823-e12dcb2607ba

Trying suggestion # 1 to disable Rsc, I ran the troubleshooting file attached which told me it couldn't identify the problem and attempting to disable it manually came back with an error.

I saw no change using suggestion # 2. Using suggestion # 3 I saw more stable speeds, but again nothing higher than around 35Mbps down.

Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks,

Jesse Q.

Attached are the network logs for 2 different drivers using the support utility app.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
idata
Employee

Hello JesseQ,

We understand that you are experiencing low download speeds through your Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 on Windows® 10 Creators Update.

Looking at the reports provided, we noticed something odd. On both logs your adapter is reporting the exact same connection rate of 175.5 Mbps, which is very low for this adapter.

Keep in mind that connection rate is the speed at which data is transferred between your computer and it's AP. Download speed measurements are always lower than your connection rate, this is because download speeds don't account for all the wireless packet overhead that is always present and necessary, such as encryption, routing data, etc.

18.33.7.2 (latest) driver.

- Channel: 157 (5 GHz)

- Radio: 802.11ac

- Signal: 80%

- Connection Rate: 175.5 Mbps

17.15.0.5 (inbox) driver.

- Channel: 157 (5 GHz)

- Radio: 802.11ac

- Signal: 80%

- Connection Rate: 175.5 Mbps

For the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260, a healthy connection rate should range between 233 to 867 Mbps, specially when connecting to a Wireless-AC network over the 5 GHz band. The fact that your signal is only at 80% shouldn't be a cause of concern.

While we're familiar with the troubleshooting that you've performed from the Microsoft* blog, I'm not entirely sure that you're experiencing that same issue.

- Would it be possible for you to test your connection while using a different network, or access point?

- What is the brand and model of your motherboard or laptop?

- Are you confortable opening up your laptop to confirm the antennas are connected properly to your wireless adapter?

- Was this adapter preinstalled by your computer manufacturer, or is it an upgrade part?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JQuy
Beginner

Hi Carlos, thank you for the reply.

I noticed the connection rate being low as well. I've seen it fluctuate a little over other tests ran, but I don't recall it being higher than around 195Mbps.

I have received similar results using 2 APs. I had my ISP replace one, as I was concerned it may have been the problem. As my computer is a desktop, I don't really have much options as to trying it out on another network entirely, but should that matter since the AP(s) I'm using are a modem+router combo gateway? My motherboard is an ASRock H97 Pro4 and using, what I believe should be the most up to date, drivers which I got from http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H97%20Pro4/?cat=Download&os=Win1064 ASRock > H97 Pro4. The antennas seem secure from the back, but will have to try opening my case up and double checking to make sure the card is sitting properly; will report back if its not. The adapter was not preinstalled as my computer was not purchased from a manufacturer; I had purchased the parts new, (MB/CPU/HDD) from Amazon/Newegg.

edit: I'm unsure if this changes what the problem might be, but before troubleshooting I was only getting download speeds of around 5-7Mbps and seeing intermittent internet connectivity to my network (Windows would show that I was connected to my network, but not to the internet). My adapter would also occasionally disable itself, as shown in network connections control panel, and wouldn't let me re-enable it. A hard shutdown (selecting reset would cause my computer to hang) seemed to reset it back to normal. It was only after uninstalling all drivers, leaving only 17.15.0.5, that I saw my download speeds increase to what I'm seeing now. It's only been about 5 days since doing this, but I noticed any intermittent connection since; the problem with the adapter randomly disabling itself was fairly infrequent (sometimes not happening for a couple weeks), so I can't be sure that has been resolved or if its related.

Thanks,

Jesse Q.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JesseQ,

We understand that you're having this issue with the Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop. We're also aware that you have already performed a clean installation using the latest drivers for this adapter, as well as the generic version provided by Microsoft*.

We can recommend re-seating the adapter on your reseating the adapter on it's PCIe* slot:

1. Make sure that your computer is off and disconnected from the power.

2. Unscrew external antennas from the back of your PC.

3. Disconnect BT cable and remove PCIe* adapter from slot.

4. Visually inspect connector, make sure it's clean. Check to make sure the antennas are connected properly to the 7260 card itself.

5. Reconnect BT cable, re-seat adapter on it's slot, reconnect external antennas.

- https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/network-and-i-o/wireless-networking/000007077.html Integration Guide for Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 for Desktop.

It's also important to make sure that your OS is fully updated. The latest cumulative update package for Windows® 10 (KB4034674) should be installed.

This issue is currently under investigation, but no definitive resolution has been identified yet. If this troubleshooting does not help, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JQuy
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

I followed your instructions, making sure that the contacts on the adapter were clean and that the small connections for the antennas to the card were secure. While I didn't double check before unscrewing the external antenna to the back of my PC, I think I may have had the wires screwed into the wrong posts (ie, ant-1 to post 2, ant-2 to post 1). I ran the SSU app and some speed tests and saw my receive rate reach 866.7Mbps and my signal strength improved, however download speeds did not seem to be affected. Unfortunately, my PC BSOD while doing the speed tests as I had plugged the BT cable in backwards to the USB posts on my MB. After fixing that issue, follow up checks showed my receive rate reports between 260-390Mbps. Same download rates as before.

I double checked and my Windows shows that KB4034674 is installed and with no available updates.

Again, thank you for your continued support.

Jesse Q.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JesseQ,

Thank you for the reports. I will look into this and see what else we can suggest. Please bear with us.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hello JesseQ,

We have not been able to identify the cause behind your low connection rate. Moreover, we're concerned by the BSOD received, have these crashes continued?

Please check your private messages.

Best regards,

Carlos A.
0 Kudos
JQuy
Beginner

Hi Carlos,

The BSOD crash only happened the one time. I'm certain it was from plugging the BT cord back onto the USB jumper incorrectly as I haven't seen any errors or crashes since.

Thanks

Jesse Q

0 Kudos