Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7366 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts, Intel 7260 AC Desktop

KKlov
New Contributor I

I've added description to all pictures below. Using Intel's latest driver on Windows 8.1 with all windows updates installed.

Just for fun; I installed Windows 10 (tech preview), first thing I did was start a ping test with same results as below. Then I installed newest Intel driver , also the same problem. Therefore I doubt there is a virus or 3part program that are the problem in this case.. Should I ask my vendor for replacement card?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Follow this thread and your ping timeouts should fully disappear: /message/242637# 242637 https://communities.intel.com/message/242637# 242637

I didn't need to do the tweak on that thread and as you can see my Intel 7260 just works perfectly and low consistent pings of <1 to 1 ms.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Follow this thread and your ping timeouts should fully disappear: /message/242637# 242637 https://communities.intel.com/message/242637# 242637

I didn't need to do the tweak on that thread and as you can see my Intel 7260 just works perfectly and low consistent pings of <1 to 1 ms.

0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

Hi and thanks for posting. I found the correct folder in registry, but sadly it does not contain "ScanningWhenAssociated" I simply created the dword string and set it to 0, and I still get spikes when looking at wireless networks (clicking on the symbol buttom right). At least now I know why the spikes comes sometime.

The spikes however are not my biggest problem ATM. The biggest problem is the dropouts where I (in worst cases) have to wait 30-60 seconds before connection to my AP gets back, while other devices works perfectly fine. Usually the connection to AP get's back in 5 seconds +- couple of seconds.

I see that you also have Intel 7260, could you check if the dword is in the registry on your computer? Also, which OS are you running on?

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Search online for the 17.12 driver. It has fixed these issues for many. I'd link it here, but links require a moderator approval and I don't know if any of them are working today.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

jorg1 wrote:

Hi and thanks for posting. I found the correct folder in registry, but sadly it does not contain "ScanningWhenAssociated" I simply created the dword string and set it to 0, and I still get spikes when looking at wireless networks (clicking on the symbol buttom right). At least now I know why the spikes comes sometime.

The spikes however are not my biggest problem ATM. The biggest problem is the dropouts where I (in worst cases) have to wait 30-60 seconds before connection to my AP gets back, while other devices works perfectly fine. Usually the connection to AP get's back in 5 seconds +- couple of seconds.

I see that you also have Intel 7260, could you check if the dword is in the registry on your computer? Also, which OS are you running on?

It isn't "ScanningWhenAssociated". It's called "ScanWhenAssociated". You have to create the DWORD since Intel didn't include it by default. I'm running it with Windows 7 SP1 as I despise Windows 8/8.1/10.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

I thought you wrote in that other thread that you didn't enable this tweak?

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

I never did this tweak. Here's my screenshot showing that "ScanWhenAssociated" is not there by default, and my pings are 0 - 3 ms pinging the router 250 times. For some laptops with certain configurations, they have to do that tweak (especially in Windows 8.1) to make the drivers work properly whereas in my laptop with Windows 7, 16.8.0.6 drivers, I don't need to that registry edit since the drivers and the Intel 7260 work perfectly. Hence, I can still roam while getting no lag spikes whatsoever!

To the OP, maybe some configuration with Aruba AP is causing those dropouts. My work and school uses Aruba APs and I never had connection/ping/sleep issues with those whatsoever/

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

Ok, I got confused when you wrote, "Follow this thread and your ping timeouts should fully disappear:".

I thought that that meant that you had done it and had success. I reread that thread and looked closer at this one and I see now that you were recommending it to him.

Seems like 8.1 has its own set of issues that are more amenable to fixes like this one than 7 or Vanilla 8. At least in some configs or with some routers/modems.

0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

I've seen some improvements after adding "ScanWhenAssociated". It seems like the big dropouts like seen on the picture below mostly occur when I'm streaming to twitch (upload) and when using VPN connection to my work (only rdp connections, no heavy data transferring).

I have tried the following drivers so far, every single one of them does not correct the dropout issue

"lenovo driver" version 17.12

version 16.x.x.x

version 17.1.0.19

In addition I have tried the version that came as default with windows (can't remember the version number, but I think it was 1 year old or so).

I've also tried to set up a new SSID with only 2,4 ghz and another for only 5 ghz -> problem still occurs on both these SSID as well.

So far I've gotten much better help from you guys then I ever have received from Intel, mostly appreciated. I'm not even sure if I should bother ask them because I know that they simply will point at my Aruba AP, even though my surface pro 2 does not have this issue. neither does my old 15$ go-usb-n150 I used on this same computer before I bought the Intel card.

NOTE:

It's not unusual that I get this result as seen below now, but I still get huge dropouts as seen above

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Well at least, we cut down a lot of that ping timeouts. I would try a DPC latency test to check if DPC latency is the one that causes your timeouts. I know that DPC latency is for audio dropouts but it'll be interesting if DPC latency spikes occur at the same time as the ping timeouts or maybe they aren't related to each other.

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml DPC Latency Checker

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

<<I know that they simply will point at my Aruba AP, even though my surface pro 2 does not have this issue. neither does my old 15$ go-usb-n150 I used on this same computer before I bought the Intel card.>>

That those other two devices connect satisfactorily does not mean that it could not ultimately be an issue with that AP and this card.

I don't know that it is, and I'm out of ideas. But, I think that we've seen in all these threads, that sometimes the only variable left standing is the modem/router when the card is configured in the very same way as those of users who aren't having trouble. We have to consider this as a possibility. For example, one of the fixes in the 17.12 driver (release notes linked in other thread) was failure to connect properly with Aruba 65 AP. So maybe there's something about the chipset or configuration that that mfr. uses that doesn't play well with the Intel part.

0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

DPC Latency checker did report back with some issues, and it did get red bars up to 2000us, however they did not match with dropouts and poor streaming (bottom left corner 0kb/s) conditions at some times. I'm not sure what would cause this bad feedback from DPC. I have tried to deactivate Bluetooth and my integrated LAN. Physically took out USB speakers, mouse and keyboard. And that's pretty much everything I have connected and I still got red bars at some times.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Any chance if you can connect to another AP (preferably not aruba) and see if issues still exists? Also follow Joe's advice and see if UAPSD off helps.

It seems that the WiFi drivers aren't really causing any conflicts according to the DPC latency (it didn't match the time where spikes occur).

0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

Thanks so much for the help to everybody!

Latest ping result with Zyxel P2812 AC (5 ghz band just like on Aruba):

Ping statistics for 192.168.10.1:

Packets: Sent = 300, Received = 300, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 1ms, Maximum = 19ms, Average = 1ms

Both AP use the same sec. settings (WPA2, no mixed). U-APSD was disabled when testing with both AP.

Looks like a different AP and regfix (ScanWhenAssociated) solved the problem.

0 Kudos
BB4
New Contributor II

I'd be interested in having you delete that reg key and try your connection. Like thevets, I've never used it and don't have the issues you were.

0 Kudos
KKlov
New Contributor I

Just deleted the key + reboot = latency spikes on both AP when looking at available networks to connect to.

Adding the key again.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I suggest you reviewing the wireless security settings as either Windows* or the AP could be using mixed settings (AES+TKIP). Try disabling uAPSD in the adapter properties and updating the AP's firmware; even though other systems connect properly to the AP, compatibility issues exist in real life.

It is important to bear in mind that there are no Intel wireless drivers for Windows* 10 at this moment; however, it is possible that this operating system comes with an inbox driver for this adapter.

0 Kudos