Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7582 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
idata
Employee

But that's some other problem you have right now, could be anything system related, or your fault. Did you try to remove the device and do a PnP scan to let it be reinstalled again?

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

I've done a lot of things to try and solve this mess.

What I know is the event error is the same for both drivers when N is enabled. Turn N off and I get a mostly stable connection for both 14.8.8.75 and 15.5.6.48. It seems N is the underlying problem. I do know that I can't uninstall the Intel Proset wireless software 15.6.1 as it reports this version can not be upgraded from the current older product. Uninstall the older product manually. No idea how I am meant to do that. Funny thing is I have 2 instances of that software in my programs and features window. I am guessing there is a mixed up or lost file in there somewhere that prevents me moving back to 14.8.8.48.

Looks like Intel software is not Intel's strongest feature.

C-

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Possibly solved issues. As you say klumsch, go back to Microsoft's own WiFi driver version 14.8.8.75 per your instructions. Then reboot.

Then open the wireless driver advanced tag and: Update Driver> Browse My Computer> Let Me Pick From List Of Device Drivers On My Computer> select the Intel WiFi driver and hit OK. This reinstalls NETwNe64. Then reboot. The event errors go away. So the final config is:

• 14.8.8.75 Microsoft WiFi driver with 'N' enabled
  • Update the driver to fix the corrupt NETwNe64 file

Only been running for an hour or so, but I'm not seeing the drop-offs or errors yet.

I suspect Intel's newer drivers break the NETwNe64 file in some way and this is what causes the 'N' instability...that's just a guess.

Two points:

1. Intel, get a working driver for your customers. We've bought the kit... you need to keep your end of the bargain
  2. Intel, fix your program software. Windows 8 can not uninstall it and there's no manual process to do it either. This is a basic requirement of all windows software. I'm surprised it passed a windows compatibility test.

C-

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Thanks for your help, buddy. You got me half way there, the web did the rest

C-

0 Kudos
JLitt4
Beginner

For what it's worth guys - we've been experiencing these same issues in Linux for months. Sadly when it comes to the Intel drivers there, it's either Intel's way or the highway. Since these issues rendered my Linux install unusable at client sites, I was forced to transition back to Windows 8. Luckily I only install driver updates when required so I stuck with the MS Intel wireless drivers. So based on this thread I dodged a bullet there for my Centrino Advanced-N 6235.

In any event I've decided to transition away from Intel's wireless hardware These issues have been allowed to continue for far too long both on the Linux and the Windows side. I'll be receiving the following Linux compatible component in the mail tomorrow:

http://www.sparklan.com/product.php?func=view&prod_id=215 WPEA-251N(BT) - 802.11n Wi-Fi + Bluetooth Half Mini Card with Atheros AR9462, WB222

So yeah after years of using Intel hardware nearly exclusively because they were the best - I've decided to move on. At least in regards to wireless adapters. I would suggest you all consider doing the same. However be aware that some laptop manufacturers will lock down the type of wireless adapters you can install on a laptop via the bios. Thankfully mine does not.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Well, I thought it was all better. Turns out my home Cisco AP is fine running N. My work AP, a PT Link WA901ND fails on N. The error is:

>>>>>:

The description for Event ID 5060 from source NETwNe64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP6

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

>>>>

This seems to be the root cause. I don't get this error on my Cisco AP with N enabled and do get it on the TP Link with N enabled. Go figure.

C-

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

@ cam116 about the event error, try to deactivate LinkLayer (Microsoft LLDP Driver) under network device properties, also if that doesn't work, try deactivating also IPv6 and QOS. Also it's some kind of problem with you Windows installation, I had no problems deinstalling the Intel ProSet software.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Thanks I've done that. Isn't this weird:

LLDP was not enabled. I switched off QoS and IPV6. I then saw the usual error:

>>>

The description for Event ID 8000 from source NETwNe64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\NDMP46

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235

The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file

>>>

Then 1 second later I got this event with the same heading of (NETwNe64):

>>>

The \Device\NDMP49 service entered the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 state.

>>>

Now it's stable on N on the TP Link Access Point.

It may be the TP LINK AP is handling QoS or IPV6 in a strange way than my Cisco at home... or this error is so sporadic that the NETwNe64 part of the driver is not consistent in operation. I'll update later on results.

Do you see these same events after each other in the eventvwr?

C-

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Within 10 minutes the same error reoccurs on N and the second event does not show. It must be that there is an inability for the driver to:

The \Device\NDMP49 service entered the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 state.

So it seems to be something to do with the way the AP is interacting with the adaptor that stops the adapter entering the Intel state when using N. This is down to Intel as sometimes it works and other times it does not. Bad code period. The only remedy seems to be to turn off N.

C-

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Managed to find a work around until Intel get the driver sorted. I picked up for $45 New Zealand dollars a CNet N wireless USB chip running 'N'. The install is not great as it's for Win 7, so had to clear the hang by killing the install on Cisco EAP install part. But after a reboot, plug the little thing it in to the USB socket and it flies. This is a cheap way to get you going until Intel deliver. All for $20 US or there about. Website for CNet is http://www.Cnet.com.tw/ www.Cnet.com.tw and the product is CQU-906. Short term fix to get you over the line.

Thx

C-

0 Kudos
MChes2
Beginner

Thanks to @klumsch for being a real star!

I just needed a bit more work to figure out how to revert to the original Win8 drivers:

1) From >ControlPanel>Programs&Features uninstalled Intel Widi and Intel ProSet Wireless

2) From Device Manager uninstalled any driver >15.xxx

3) Restart

4) Check if the driver is back to version 14.xxx otherwise repeat from step 2

Repeated the failing test to download a 200MB file which would always drop, and now it completes first time.

I am totally shocked that there is so little official comment or fix from Intel for what is clearly a significant problem. I am also angry that Dell, the manufacturer of my Dell XPS 13 does not take action to switch suppliers, or at least fix the driver that ships from the factory.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Yes, I struggled a little there, too.

When you roll back driver in the driver tab of the network setting for the card tick the box 'delete drivers' or something similar. I cant check this wording as my rollback is greyed out now. By deleting the drivers windows will not load them again on reboot. I had to roll back and delete 3 times to get back to the original windows drivers. I couldn't find these original drivers anywhere on the web so this is the only way to get back short of reinstalling windows.

Note that the old windows drivers for me still have problems. I think it's to do with the firmware that would have been installed on one of the driver releases. I find N fine on a home cisco access point, but N fails and in fact B/G is also a problem on a TP Link access point. That's the one I use at work. It maybe over subscribed or just flaky in relation to the intel card. I work around with a USB wifi transceiver as per earlier posts.

I am actually waiting for a replacement card from EBAY ($25 Australian). I'll install that and throw the intel one away as this is such a big issue for me. The USB wifi is not power saving so not a long term option for a Samsung tablet. I hate to do this but I don't think I have a choice as there's no news if this issue will be fixed by intel or Samsung now or in the future. This means opening my Samsung 700T tablet but that's worth it for a stable roaming wifi connection with my tablet.

Hope this helps dude.

C-

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I'm just here to bump this, I just got my Samsung 5 series UltraTouch and everything works fine, except that the WiFi looses connection after a short while, a temporary fix to this for me was to disable "n" in device manager. The computer now works fine but if it says "n", I do not want to have to disable it, and with 100/100 fiber I lose practically half the bandwidth.

I would be happy if Intel either solved this (which don't seem probable since it has been known for such a long time) or just admitted there is something wrong with the adapters.

I am a bit upset that you cannot get a "clean" computer with windows 8 without all the branded software preinstalled. Intel Apps, what's up with that?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Is anyone here still working with Intel on this? I was one of the ones Intel chose to help with resolving issues with this card, but I'm not in contact with the engineer any more and haven't heard a peep!

They even thanked me with being able to select a ~$10 gift from there store. This was on the 2nd March and I still haven't received it.....I think it's coming with the fix for this card.....which is probably never!

It would be nice to for Intel to respond with a genuine answer and not a 'generic' one.

I guess it's easier to give up than it is to fix the problem.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey all i thought this might help some of you guys out. So I just purchased my new Samsung Series 9 X4D A03CA - Canadian model

(15") and what worked for me quite by accident was when I did a clean install to get rid of the bloatware i re installed some of the programs i needed through SW update but didn't install the bluetooth driver, set the wifi adapter to maximum settings and I haven't had a single problem yet with downloads and streaming videos. I've kept the wifi running for at least 8 hours straight now, on battery and off, while repeatedly turning the wifi on and off to test how fast reconnects and there\s been no problems and it hasn't dropped out once. Also to note my Samsung came with the 15.5.0.42 driver which I have not upgraded, wireless N is also enabled working perfectly fine. Also tested on a G router and no problems as well. Hopefully this helps.

*previously bought and returned series 5 a week ago due to wifi issues (same card), tried eveyrthing, disabling bluetooth, wireless N, etc.

Seems like the driver model along with the bluetooth removed, not just disabled, seems to be working

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

My experience is similar to Eric's in that I kept the drivers that were installed at the factory. I did not do a clean install but a restore from the recovery partition on a Samsung Series 7 Ultra. I simply ignored SW Update when it offered Intel Wireless LAN Driver version 15.6.1.20. Version 15.5.4.0423 works well. I am also using Bluetooth with the original Intel PROSet/Wireless for Bluetooth Technology version 2.6.1210.0278 and do not have connectivity problems.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Bought a Lenovo X230 with a 6205 a few weeks ago. Wifi would not work for more than 5 minutes. It would keep showing limited access, but I could not use the internet. I tried all of the fixes, power settings, 15.xxx software. Finally I saw a bios revision for an ASUS router talking about fixing DNS dropout due to an Intel over-ping issues.

I bought an ASUS RT-N66U router to replace my D-LINK DIR-615 and have been using my WIFI for 1 week trouble free. Sucks to pay $170 to fix an Intel issue but at least my WIFI issue is over.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Gabe63 wrote:

Bought a Lenovo X230 with a 6205 a few weeks ago. Wifi would not work for more than 5 minutes. It would keep showing limited access, but I could not use the internet. I tried all of the fixes, power settings, 15.xxx software. Finally I saw a bios revision for an ASUS router talking about fixing DNS dropout due to an Intel over-ping issues.

I bought an ASUS RT-N66U router to replace my D-LINK DIR-615 and have been using my WIFI for 1 week trouble free. Sucks to pay $170 to fix an Intel issue but at least my WIFI issue is over.

Was it running Windows 8?

I had the same issue with a Thinkpad X1 Carbon Touch which also used 6205. I have an Asus RT-N16 running Tomato firmware. In the end the problem was never resolved for me.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Im have the same problem, my connection will randomly go out for a few secs every couple of minutes. I have tried updating and downgrading drivers and still no luck. i even disabled bluetooth and nothing. Intel recall this piece of crap card

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We have been working to find a solution to a set of problems that many of you have described in this forum.

Due to the nature of the issues and descriptions posted here, our engineering team has determined that it is not a common issue between all the customers, but mostly different issues with similar symptoms. Many users' issues were resolved with the latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers (version 15.6.1 available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22547 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22547).

We have received many replies with very useful information. As a next step we are requesting your help to focus on specific scenarios. We are creating a database to divide issues based on symptoms and ask you to please contact our support centers to create a service ticket with the following information to enable further research.

The Email form for the wireless support can be found https://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783 here. Please make sure to select the correct Geography.

The information that we would like you to provide is:

• Manufacturer and model of laptop that is experiencing issues
  • Model of the Wireless adapter
  • Operating System version
  • Driver and PROSet version used.
  • Behavior after testing with driver version 15.6.1
  • Confirm if the latest Windows Updates were installed
  • Access Point manufacturer, model and firmware version
  • Detail description of the issue such as How often issue occurs (hourly, once a day, etc.)
  • When issue occurs (during specific game/software/time of day/location, etc.)
  • Where issue occurs (number of access points nearby, home or office, hotspot, other wireless devices, using 2.4GHz or 5GHz, etc.)
  • Geography or Location ( I.e North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, etc)* this is very important

Thanks,

Joe

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Joe_Intel wrote:

We have been working to find a solution to a set of problems that many of you have described in this forum.

Due to the nature of the issues and descriptions posted here, our engineering team has determined that it is not a common issue between all the customers, but mostly different issues with similar symptoms. Many users' issues were resolved with the latest Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers (version 15.6.1 available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22547 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22547).

We have received many replies with very useful information. As a next step we are requesting your help to focus on specific scenarios. We are creating a database to divide issues based on symptoms and ask you to please contact our support centers to create a service ticket with the following information to enable further research.

The Email form for the wireless support can be found https://supportmail.intel.com/scripts-emf/welcome.aspx?id=1783 here. Please make sure to select the correct Geography.

The information that we would like you to provide is:

• Manufacturer and model of laptop that is experiencing issues
  • Model of the Wireless adapter
  • Operating System version
  • Driver and PROSet version used.
  • Behavior after testing with driver version 15.6.1
  • Confirm if the latest Windows Updates were installed
  • Access Point manufacturer, model and firmware version
  • Detail description of the issue such as How often issue occurs (hourly, once a day, etc.)
  • When issue occurs (during specific game/software/time of day/location, etc.)
  • Where issue occurs (number of access points nearby, home or office, hotspot, other wireless devices, using 2.4GHz or 5GHz, etc.)
  • Geography or Location ( I.e North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, etc)* this is very important

Thanks,

Joe

Hi Joe,

The Email form does not have a drop down for Windows 8. How would I specify that?

0 Kudos