Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7496 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
JD9
Beginner

I also have issues with the 6235, i've read most of the thread which thankfully helped me in creating a more stable connection. First of all i had to uninstall every driver in order to get the original Microsoft driver running, as described above. This solved my connection drop problem, it did however result into high DPC Latency spikes whenever downloading, resulting in disturbed audio and trackpad. Something that doesn't occur on the intel drivers. So somehow intel fixed the DPC latency spikes with their drivers but still hasn't figured out how to fix the connection drop problem, which was already good with the Microsoft driver. Hopefully there will be a full solution given by intel in the near future, since i have the feeling my $1500 laptop should have a stable connection. Could it be possible to tweak the microsoft driver, so that latency spikes will lower but connection drops will be prevented?

0 Kudos
SPale
Beginner

I have the same issues, look's like a hardware problem with this bad (baaad) wifi adapter. I have an samsung NP550-AD1, and a friend bought one Asus, with the same problematic adapter.

The both notebooks have HUGE drop outs, it's impossible play any online game.

I tried revert to a microsoft driver, disabling bluetooth and ethernet devices, but it does'nt work at all.

Intel, show more respect with customers!!!

0 Kudos
SSrin7
Beginner

I tried the various "solutions" posted here however the only thing that worked for me was using the Windows 7 64 bit driver with N mode disabled. I have an Asus Zenbook UX31A. I tried the following but nothing below worked with the Windows 8 drivers with constant dropouts every 10-30 seconds and ping tests failing.

- Disabling N mode in Driver settings

- Tried both 20MHz and Auto for N-mode band

- Decreased transmit power from maxium to medium in case there is a power issue possibly causing noise problems

- Removed Intel WiFi and Bluetooth software which monitors and tests both interfaces

- Deleting the driver and using Microsoft driver

With Windows 7 driver version 15.3.1.2 located at : https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ZENBOOK_UX31A/# support_Download_30 ASUS ZENBOOK UX31A - Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS, disabling the 802.11n mode appears to be stable. The connection bars vary frequently between 1 and 5 bars but the connection never drops. I tried walking to corners of my house, which is fairly large and this appears to be stable. My router is a D-Link DIR-655 (B version). I experimented with some settings there but none of them seemed to help. I also ran an overnight ping test to Google and was dropping about 3% of packets, which isn't bad for WiFi.

I don't consider the above a real solution because as others have mentioned, this isn't an 802.11n solution and I'm getting about 10-15Mbps lower than my WAN connection which is close to 25Mbps.

Anyone else that has this working on the ASUS Zenbook, I'm interested to hear what you did to overcome the problems and get things working.

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

I am on an ASUS Zenbook UX32A.

The simple method I found to resolve this issue is to just change power settings: Wireless Adapter Settings to Maximum Performance on Battery & Plugged in.

I use it with normal Wireless settings (N-mode, etc.) No dropouts whatsoever. If I switch it to Maximum Power Saving, I will get immense dropouts and Internet is unusable. This only happens with a 2.4GHz network, it works flawlessly with 5GHz network with maximum power saving. So, I want it to be on maximum power saving for more battery life, but I can't because of the issue. Otherwise, I've been running on maximum performance all the time.

0 Kudos
etaus
Novice

Just to add some info ( I don't know if this good or not, somebody (Intel ????) should try to make sense of all the cases and nuances this post is showing).

I am using a Samsung Series 9 NP900X with Win8 x64 Pro. I connect usually to 2 different routers.

TP-Link TL-WDR3600 and TP-Link TL-WR941ND. As long as I used the originally supplied driver (15.6.1.20) everything was OK. Excellent performance and no dropouts. I received the update notification from Intel and Samsung that 15.8.0.5 was available and I updated the driver.

From that moment on, connections to the 941ND were dismal, lots of dropouts and problems. Connections to the WDR3600 remained stable and excellent.

So, I believe that part of the problem are the routers and the N mode implementation in the router by the manufacturer. The 941ND is a relatively old router and I think that the N was a draft at the time of purchase.

Obviously I reverted to 15.6.1.20 and everything if OK now. I hope that this helps somebody.

0 Kudos
SSrin7
Beginner

I tried this and it didn't work on the UX31A. Even with my previous fix, I'm still having 3% dropped packets over 24 hours, which I can live with but performance is somewhat erratic when surfing the web.

0 Kudos
AYarr
Beginner

I have an ASUS UX32VD and posted earlier in this forum.

Initially I disabled Bluetooth as someone else advised (which I also believe is alluded to on the following Amazon product page--look under where it says "Product Description" and a "known issue is mentioned), but kept the driver for the wireless adapter updated to Intel's latest.

http://www.amazon.com/Zenbook-UX32VD-DH71-1-90-3-00GHz-i7-3517U-Geforce/dp/B009WS4LB0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1373651621&sr=8-3&keywords=ux32vd Amazon.com: ASUS Zenbook UX32VD-DH71 1.90-3.00GHz i7-3517U 10GB 250GB SSD 1GB NVIDIA Geforce GT 620M Full HD 1080P: Computers & Accessories

This worked fine but of course meant no Bluetooth. Since I rarely use Bluetooth anyway, I was okay with it. Performance greatly increased and I didn't notice dropouts anymore, especially with streaming video (YouTube, etc.).

I then tried to rollback to the Microsoft driver as another person suggested. After doing so, I re-enabled Bluetooth and everything seemed to be going well. However, I started to experience streaming issues and dropouts again within a week.

I have now updated back to the latest Intel drivers and disabled Bluetooth. I'm sticking with that for now, until (hopefully) something better comes along in terms of a permanent solution.

Side question: I also bought a USB WiFi card that I may just give in and use to get around this. Does anyone know if I should disable the internal card entirely if I go that route? I assume I could disable the Wireless N capabilities and such but leave Bluetooth capability enabled? Or would this cause a conflict? The external card does not have Bluetooth.

Thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
etaus
Novice

In a followup of my post of July 7th., the solution I mentioned by reverting to 15.6.1.20 did not work.

After several days, the problem with the old TP-Link TL-WR941ND are back.

So my story is :

1. same notebook, same wireless card, same routers, original drivers (15.6.1.20) > everything was OK

2. same notebook, same wireless card, same routers, upgrade to driver (15.8.0.5) > problems with router TL-WR941ND

3. same notebook, same wireless card, same routers, rollback to driver (15.6.1.20) > problems with router TL-WR941ND

4. same notebook, same wireless card, same routers, upgrade to driver (15.8.0.5) because the problems are there anyway.

Listen Intel : In the TP-Link TL-WR941ND location I must now connect using a wire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kudos for your products and your quick and efficient technical support !!!!!

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Douglyfresh posted in the previous page he removed Intel® PROSet and continued using Intel® driver.

Has anybody else tested this and obtained similar results?

Has anybody used Intel® PROSet and tested if managing WiFi with Windows* WLAN AutoConfig or Intel® PROSet makes a difference?

0 Kudos
RTar
Beginner

Hello again,

Just to let the community know (and sorry if someone did post the same):

I replaced yesterday the 6235 with a 6205 from my work laptop.

....And the 6205 is not working as well.

It behaves exactly like the 6235 on my NP900X4C. It works with W8 built in drivers - no way to make it work with Proset Driver (with or without programmes suite).

I guess the 6205 is the same design and component of 6235 less Bluetooth. Right?

I am now going to test the AC 7260 which should be totally different. Will post results when I get it.

Joe_Intel are you alive? I haven't heard from you for I while.

A note on Samsung customer service UK: Appalling.

0 Kudos
NFuss
Beginner

One more unhappy customer here. Like everyone, I am experiencing recurring WiFi drops. I purchased by Samsugn NP740U3E-A01UB (Series 7 Ultrabook) in May, which has the 6235. I also have the most updated drivers available on the Intel site (15.8, I believe). I can share more details if it is helpful, but so I don't see any difference between my situation and many others struggling with the 6235.

I don't have time to comb through all 41 (!!) pages in this thread, and even if I did it does not seem like any reasonable solution has been put forward. Fingers crossed something changes soon.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

It's probably worth reading the last 2 to 3 pages as they sum up most of what's available to do in your situation. The main options seem to be (in order):

1. Disable N and/or change a few setting for the card - this works against some access points but not all.
  2. Disable WiFi and buy a USB WiFi transceiver - worked well for me as a temp fix on some Access Points that Point 1 did not fix. This is not great but works.
  3. Rollback your drivers to the original windows drivers - you get WiFi and Bluetooth, but lose WiDi
  4. Open the machine and replace the card with another maker's.

Over a few weeks I've done all. The best has been to replace the card and hold on to the Intel lamer should a driver be released by Intel. I'm not holding my breath given how long this issue has been running, but better than nothing. On a reply of mine earlier on I point to my Blog post which has a table of cards (thanks to another poster here) and description of opening up the machine (Samsung T700 in my case), replacing the card, and getting it going.

Good luck.

C-

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

I understand that Intel have common drivers for the whole series so not surprised the same issue is with the others. As posted so far, if you're going to replace the card select another maker's. I selected a Broadcom and it's rock solid stable. I have lost WiDi and the bluetooth is not low energy Windows 8 compliant but better than what I had with the lame $25 6235 that shipped with my $1,200 Samsung T700.

Good luck

C-

0 Kudos
CS13
Beginner

I have been experiencing severe issues with the N-6235 card in an HP Spectre 14-3200ea running Windows 8 (64 bit). The laptop was purchased in December 2012 and the wi-fi issue has existed since that time, therefore making it pretty much unusable (not what I had expected from a £1200 machine!)

On my 60 mb broadband connection, the maximum speed the laptop can manage is 10 mbps. As a contrast, my other HP laptop and desktop can hit >50 mbps. Signal strength in the Spectre 14 fluctuates massively, jumping continuously between 5 and 1 bars (but often settling on 1 or 2). Every potential fix listed in this forum has been tried, but to no avail. Last week, I returned the computer to an HP service centre and they reinstalled the operating system. As soon as I got home, I turned the machine on and the wi-fi worked perfectly (5 bars and 50 mbps download speed) for about 10 minutes. However, when I returned to use the laptop later in the day, the previous performance issues had resumed. Following a second visit to HP, the wi-fi card was replaced, but this had no effect whatsoever. HP now want to send of the laptop to another service centre but I don't see the point because THIS IS AN INTEL ISSUE. The lack of a solution to this problem from Intel after almost 11 months since this thread began is unbelievable.

If it means anything, my home router is a Netgear VMDG480 and is set up with WPA2.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

The fastest way to resolve the issue is to print off some of these comments and ask the HP support dude to replace the card with another maker's card such as Broadcom. You may lose widi but what's more important, WiFi or widi right now? The other option is buy a cheap USB WiFi adapter for $20 or so and use that until Jo and his Intel chums pull finger and deliver working drivers OR fess up that the card itself is dead on arrival.

I replaced my card with a Broadcom myself and it works without a hitch. However, I have lost widi and the Broadcom I chose is not power efficient. But better than the Intel joke of a card I had before.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
OQase1
Beginner

I have a Samsung NP700Z5C-SU02B

after trying the all solutions mentioned before from disabling the n-tech to disabling bluetooth to removing the Intel PROSET and working with the microsoft driver but with no luck!!!

Yesterday, i was looking for the latest driver provided from intel in their official website, i found a solution given from intel to this garbage adapter and i followed every thing in the page specially for adapter power management to set for maximum performance!!!

for around one night i thought intel finally solve the problem, i started a download and also a ping test to the router for around 8 hours, i have got 0.43% packet loss but the download complete to the end !!! since the packet loss is very low, the download logically will complete.

the day after i started another download just for check up with the laptop unplugged to the power, after 2 hours downloading, again network error!!!!

i have windows 8 and the router support only 2.4GHs mode, but the question is how you intel expect from us when we buy your product to give up on some of the features like n-technology and Bluetooth to be able to survive with it ???!!!!!

please be more professional and save your name at least!!!

0 Kudos
MSung
Beginner

I bought Samsumg Series 7 Chronos less 2 months ago and the laptop has Intel N-6235 install from manufacture.

Many of my co-worker has same if not similar model from Samsung and all of them are experiencing same issue.

Wifi keep dropping off after certain while. The connection becomes limited after successfully connected about 5 - 30 min and have to manually disconnect and re-connect in order to establish valid connection.

The answer provided by Intel doesn't really give any solution but only to blaming users.

Someone suggested turning off disable 802.11n Mode from driver properties and it seems it's holding connection at least for now. (been connected over 30 min without a drop)

However, Intel will have to come up with solution for this.

This is very annoying issue just to disregard.

0 Kudos
SPale
Beginner

Guys, I give up from my intel wifi card. Let's share in the facebook and let's the world know about our issues with Intel?

Let's share this thread in the specializated websites and foruns. Any sugestions?

Intel is selling this piece of junk yet?

Please help with suggestions.

0 Kudos
ZLeop
Beginner

Hi there, i was suffering same problem on mz Samsung ATIV Book 530U (NP530U3C-A06CZ) with a cursed intel centrino advanced-n 6235 . I read plenty of articles and tried high number settings as finally I installed a driver from DELL. The file name is Network_Driver_HP8FN_WN_15.3.1.2_A03.exe and you can download it from http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/driverdetails?driverid=HP8FN Driver Details | Dell US You can not install it indeed, just extract files form the package and open Device manager and update your current driver with this one. It starts to work as a charm... connected within second and connection holds forever. It works in my case perfectly. I hope it helps other people as well. Zdenek

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

That's good news hopefully, I have taken my Intel card out and am hesitant to put it back in unless I know for sure the darn thing is fixed. Can anyone else who tries this update this forum and let us all know the results. also does this support WiDi or is this just WiFi and Bluetooth?

C-
0 Kudos
TGnie
Beginner

Yes, I can confirm that whith the given above driver got no dropouts so far ... keep fingers corssed so it rolls bit longer like this.

Will keep you folks posted as I'm terribly annoyed with ignorance of supplier in this case. 42 pages of thread and no real solution from vendor.

0 Kudos