Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7462 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
TGnie
Beginner

Bad luck. Connection lost. Had to disconnect and reconnect again. Let see how it goes further.

0 Kudos
NFuss
Beginner

Good to hear!

Are you running Windows 7? It looks like the Dell Driver is Win 7 only...

0 Kudos
SPale
Beginner

Looks like a hardware problem, and the Intel wont assume this big fail.

0 Kudos
SPale
Beginner

Let's help with our feedback guys!

/message/200501# 200501 http://communities.intel.com/message/200501# 200501

0 Kudos
JGosc
Beginner

I just made a trouble report in the other thread. Here's the added comment I put under the data:

Brand New laptop. Will only connect with router within 20 feet. Once connected can move up to one room away, but spurious disconnects increase. Will disconnnect when sleeping, and will not reconnect until returned to the area within 20 ft of the router. Reports anywhere between 1 and 150 Mbps - while sitting in the same spot next to the router. Also shows corresponding signal strength variations between 3-5 bars, while sitting next to the router.

My old laptop is still on, sitting acroos the house, reporting full signal strength and 300 Mbps. Atheros network card on that one

0 Kudos
JYap3
Beginner

This is irritating. Even using old driver, the connection still experience slowness and drop out, even so this is a new samsung laptop just bought last month.

Any fixes from Intel? Can we get a refund under the lemon law?

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Hello,

Please note that we are gathering information about this issue via e-mail. The official statement was posted /message/192239# 192239 here.

0 Kudos
JYap3
Beginner

Hi,

Do you have any timeframe when it will be fixed?

0 Kudos
JYap3
Beginner

(We have posted the following to samsung, and they asked to bring it back for a repair?)

"Hi,

This is a good laptop, but we face very frequent network issue when using the Intel 6235 wireless adaptor. Very times we lose connectivity with the Internet for many portion of the time. Our previous laptop do not have this issue.

The issue is reported to be existing over here: http://communities.intel.com/thread/31090 http://communities.intel.com/thread/31090

Can you advise can do we need to send the laptop to the service centre for repair or can we get a replacement to have the issue fixed?"

0 Kudos
NPi
Beginner

Joe, there's lots of data here. You have enough info to put a database together from these 600 posts. Asking people who have come here and who have not been able to find a solution to go to another page to add info is not fixing the problem. You guys should do the work. it's your hardware.

I have a ux31A that stopped connecting to my home wifi after a year with no problems. I changed my TPL router to G from N, and now it works fine.

We all know that is not a solution.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

I found a law firm that will file a class action lawsuit if anyone is interested.

0 Kudos
OPaz1
Novice

Very. Where do I sign up?

0 Kudos
eruss1
Beginner

After try at least 6 different drivers options, only rolling back to 15.3.1.2 (extracted to Dell set cited above) improved consistently performance on Samsung series 5 NP530U3C. I uninstalled temporally Intel WiFi Proset, BT and Widi, but at least the ultrabook maintain a stable connection from 133 to 144 mbps (connected with a TPLink modem-router W8960 at 2.4 Ghz, fixed at channel 1, at 5 o 6 meters distance without obstacles). Previous options (Samsung wifi set 15.0.0.75 OEM or other Intel software and drivers from delivered april to date) were highly unstables. I never can roll back to the old Windows drivers.

This is the only option as good as my other 2 old laptops equiped w/Atheros and Broadcomm, performing without flaws at 150 mpbs in same conditions. I need to check now the performance in transit from one router to other, annoyingly erratic with previous choices.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Intel has not resolved the issue at all so I have replaced the Intel 6235 WiFi card with an Atheros card and finally with a Broadcom BCM94313HMGB and am not going to look back as my friend at Intel said most likely Intel is not going to issue a recall or repair the issue with these cards unless there is a class action lawsuit.

It's obvious they are stalling in order to run out the warranty. In switching the cards I lost WiDi but who really cares since the card doesn't work well enough to stream video anyway and after this mess I will never use WiDi ever. Intel got their money from the OEM so they really don't care if the card works or not.

So who wants to sign up to be a member for a lawsuit?

I did update to Samsung's latest drivers and while it seemed to work logging the connection showed it is still stuttering and dropping out on me and also losing signal again.

KKlov
New Contributor I

I also would like to know if there's any way I could have my money back for buying a widi box? Or do we have to go as far as a lawsuit?

I wish Intel could just have fixed this issue long time ago, I'm getting this feeling they have this a very low priority case since we got no feedback from any techs yet. The follow up regarding this from intels side is very bad and poorly handled.

However I'm greatfull that I have learned that I should not ever again trust that Intel is making quality products and keep fixing issues. I might go for an 100% AMD based computer next time and spend money on them instead.

Intel could prob care less about me, but I will for sure tell my colleagues at work about the poor tech support and the insane long time it takes to even get a constructive feedback.

Thing is, I can't understand that it takes so long time since they have something to look at to make a fix, just take a look at the default MS driver and you guys have something to look at when trying to fix this issue.

0 Kudos
SPale
Beginner

I'm feeling like you jorg1... I want refunds... I'm very sad with this problematic wi-fi card...

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

I wish I could get my money back or Samsung to send me the new version of the Series 7 Chronos... They should for the aggravation.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

I suspect the truth is that it's easier and less frustrating to buy a $20 Broadcom card and fit it yourself. The amount of time you'll spend with OEMs in convincing them to replace with a working card and lawsuits will be higher than just fixing the issue yourself. That's what I did, it took me 30 minutes of my life and I haven't had issues since.

Good luck.

C-

0 Kudos
HT1
Novice

Seeing as this problem is really widespread why not join forces in a lawsuit? I mean now that I have tested my brother's laptop which contains the 6235 card and seen that the exact same problems appaer on my 2230 card it would be better to make it a "multiple card lawsuit"

OPaz1
Novice

I'm in. Let's sue 'em. Who's got a really mean lawyer?

0 Kudos
OPaz1
Novice

I'm in. willing to sue their irresponsible little butts. This is unacceptable. I also just ordered a Bradcom card, I wanted to use WiDi, I guess next computer...

0 Kudos