Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7645 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
wlist
Beginner

Hi All,

I think I've found the solution for the problem.

After browsing a lot of forums, it looks like this is not a problem with WIFI card, but Google Chrome + Windows 8 compatibility.

I've stopped using Chrome and since I don't have any issues with connectivity.

To be on the safe side I've also done couple of bits (gathered from previous posts). I'll list you the configuration I have:

1) Samsung 530U3C

2) Driver 15.5.0.42 (no intel PROSet). To be honest I was installing and desalinating the software, so not sure where my driver number comes from, it could be windows update one.

3) In device manager, right click on Intel Centrino -> Properties -> Advanced -> 2.4 and 5.2 set to Auto

4) In device manager, right click on Intel Centrino -> Properties -> Power Management -> Untick "Allow [...] save power"

5) In device manager disabled Bluetooth.

As I say I now don't have any connectivity issues.

In conclusion - I'm not entirely sure whether it is Chrome v. Win8, or driver number, or bluetooth, or power mngt. etc.... Could be only one. The most important thing is that my machine is working as I wanted it to be working.

hope this will help you also.

Vito

0 Kudos
MH7
Beginner

Sorry but this is not a chrome issue, I have tested several different browsers and found no difference in the stablity of the connection.

One further issue I discovered was that with Bluetooth enabled my CPU was running at 100% constantly, so I've had to disable that too.

This adapter and associated software really is an embarrassment, hang your head in shame Intel.

0 Kudos
AHesh
Novice

I tried analysing this problem using network logging software. The problem with re-connecting seems to be down to the inability to authenticate DHCP. Although I'm using Windows 8, this article seemed to solve the issue for me:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

What you're saying may have something to do with the issue for sure. I have ripped out the Intel card - note I am running Windows 8 46bit Samsung T700 - and am running with a Boradcom WiFi / Bluetooth card.

In the registry I looked at both GUIDs. My Broadcom card (that works like a charm) has the following setting:

Value name: DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag

Value type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 1

Whereas my GUID for the old Intel (still there after removing the card) is set to:

Value name: DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag

Value type: REG_DWORD

Value data: 0

The very last line in the Microsoft article gives a clue that this setting for Win7 and I suppose Win 8 should be set to '1'

This might explain why the experience is so varied on differing routers. When I turned N off my Cisco and 3COM access point connections were ok (although running on G only) but the TP-Link in work was up and down like a bride's nighty every 30 seconds. This is something to do with polling and DHCP polling well may be it.

Before I fit the card again it would be good to hear if others find this a magic, all dancing, all singing fix?...

C-

0 Kudos
JGuzi1
Beginner

@donniedarko, cam116

it is not working at all, i am sitting 3 cm from router with flag set to 1, machine restarted etc, with microsoft driver 14.8.8.75 and 15.8.0.5 with or without proset it hangs over and over especially when huge transfer is on the way. in the same time my TV is running with youtube hd there is nothing wrong with it. i'm going for vacation my Samsung will go to service.

End of Q3 is a year after bug was spotted - I don't want to wait and read all of apologizes from intel guys that they working on this etc, time is running and i really don't want to stuck with intel third quality device and wait for something that never came.

What guys from Intel can do is an official statement about problem - then people like me, can decide return device or wait - thats how fair company do.

0 Kudos
ANarb
Novice

That's what a fair company would do but I do not see Intel doing that. The only fair company I have come across is Logitech. They have replaced my mouse twice with no questions asked and have not even asked for the older ones. Not like I would sell them anyways and I have them in my old computer junk drawer. Now, that's a company that will continue to receive my business and have since I ordered my mom a wireless trackball mouse from them. Intel on the other hand has completely disappointed me. I did however get a new modem with built-in wireless from my internet company and my connection has not dumped me yet but only time will tell how long this will last. These are the speeds I am getting as of Thursday after installing the newer modem/router: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2893030575 http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2893030575

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Thanks Joe,

Can anyone that tries the drivers do a quick update to this thread on its success. I don't want to reinstall the card without knowing this is the all singing, all dancing fix and I suspect a few others will be in the same boat as me.

C-

0 Kudos
JYap3
Beginner

Hi,

No, it seems to be the same, if not worse.

16.1.1 but after we install, it showed 15.10.0.11 instead. Is a June driver 16/6/2013.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Looks like the version 16 is reserved exclusively for the 7260 series since when I install the 16.1.1, I get exact 16.1.1 version on the device manager.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

I agree, the dropouts actually seem to have gotten worse. Before it would at least reconnect for me, but now it just loses the connection outright. I'm also seeing 15.10.0.11 on my 2200.

0 Kudos
cmacd1
Novice

Joe, you're killing us here.

C-

0 Kudos
JYap3
Beginner

Yes,

Please do not install the latest one, many of us was killed already.. : (

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Well still unable to update the laptop and the POStrino to the 16.x drivers, so the Broadcom wifi chipset card goes back in, not Failtels.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am sorry; it was my fault to post the message above. I was informed about this release very late yesterday after I posted such message. This version was intended to solve a different issue. Please accept my apologies and wait for the next release which will be available soon.

0 Kudos
GHerz
Beginner

I'm having this same issue on my Toshiba Portege Z903. I had it on Windows 8, switched to Ubuntu and still getting randomly disconnected.

Will you be updating Linux drivers too?

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

It's been a whole year and it is still isn't resolved is Intel that inept at fixing their own issues???

My laptop is still cutting out and losing signal.

W I L L S O M E O N E A T I N T E L P L E A S E F I X T H I S I S S U E!

Joe, we don't need another uneducated post saying the issue is fixed, don't reply until you have a real issue resolution or you admit the Intel Centrino 6235 is a piece of garbage.

MJagn
Beginner

hey, i made account here just to let u know that im willing to cooperate with anyone interested in lawsuit. i feel cheated that in high-end ultrabook (dell xps 12) such key feature as wireless adapter is not working correctly.

and whole year without solution is a joke. but hey, here's an idea. we can make jokes too, i think i'll email every single tech site i can think of, letting them know about how ridiculous is intel approach to their customers. i hope some art will come out of it here and there so people can at least google 'intel xxx issues' before they spend their money on ur products.

0 Kudos
VArna
Beginner

I am with you. My Samsung chronos series 7 have this adapter and it is working awfully. 1200$ laptop and still worthless for playing League of Legends. Have to use a usb wifi adapter. Unacceptable. I can't even have my money back since I waited too long. Next time will check EVERY component of the laptop I'll buy. Even my nearly 10 years old Toshiba satellite is working better for networking.

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Have you tried following the steps in this thread to fix your connection issues?

http://forum.notebookreview.com/samsung/727499-wifi-remedies-samsung-laptops.html WiFi Remedies for Samsung Laptops

0 Kudos
dnguy23
Beginner

I have a 6300 and I can tell you guys that I have the exact same issue... I've been trying everything, including the new 16.1 driver but it's hopeless so far...

0 Kudos