Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7367 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
RScul
Novice

Quoted at the beginning of the Forums:

We are sorry for the upset and inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate your patience and understanding while we have been working to create a solution for the connection issues.

Intel is aware of end-user reports of connection instability (connection drops, applications hang, etc.) with certain wireless adapters using 15.x software with Windows 8 operating system. A software release is planned to support additional wireless adapters. This release is expected by the end of Q4

0 Kudos
JGuzi1
Beginner

Oh... this is so far away that I never look on it Thanks :-)

Anyway dear INTEL this is not a statement it looks more like pathetic attempt to distance responsibility.

There is no bug info, work progress info, analyses or anything but only new versions that not work.

I can say now that Intel is aware of the problem Intel create a patch but did not define who caused the problem. It seems that Intel guys are more inclined to agree with "paranoid requests" in the last 54 pages than they believe it's their fault.

Speaking that you are "aware of" do not help.

0 Kudos
RScul
Novice

Here is a representation of the signal dropouts using a traffic monitoring tool while listening to an Internet radio station:

1: With latest driver 16.1.5 ( displays 15.10.3.2 in device manager)

You can easily see the signal drops that result in interrupted audio.

2: With Microsoft driver 14.8.8.75

Here i have a constant flow without interruption.

Intel, hope it helps to resolve this driver problem.

cmacd1
Novice

In an earlier post I detailed how to remove the intel mini PCIe WiFi/Bluetooth/WiDi card from a Samsung ATIV T700 slate (although the instructions cover most other machines) as an interim with another cheap card, at least until intel came up with working drivers for the 6235. After the last few weeks (having waited for months now) it seems intel is struggling to find a fix for this card and I seriously doubt a driver will be any time soon. Anyhow, I have bitten the bullet and replaced the interim fix of a cheap Broadcom card with a Killer Wireless 1202 card and drivers. I was a little sceptical on leaving behind the 6235 given the good reviews of the intel card. Anyhow, the Killer Wireless is in and WOW! This card flies! I would seriously suggest anybody considering replacement of the 6235 do so with the Killer Wireless 1202. My Blog details how to do this. http://macdonaldz.blog.com/2013/06/01/replace-intel-centrino-advanced-n-6235/ http://macdonaldz.blog.com/2013/06/01/replace-intel-centrino-advanced-n-6235/ The upside with the killer 1202 is it's MIMI power which is needed for slates and laptops (although you need to enable it); its speed. I get 11+ MBps out of it with Killer's additional QoS that prioritises traffic (500MB media file took 4 minutes from my NAS to desktop through Windows Explorer). Its roaming and reconnect from sleep is amazingly FAST and it's rock solid on connection! Yes I've lost WiDI but truth is I never really had it as I've been running on the old intel WiFi drivers which do not include WiDi. Anyhow for ~$45 this card outdoes the intel card and the Broadcom in spades and installation of the Win 8 64bit drivers was flawless.

Good luck...

C-

0 Kudos
IPetr5
Beginner

Intel hopes to, probably, that all will do the same - spit on everything and buy new adapters and issue will resolve itself.

0 Kudos
wav
Beginner

Possible solution!

This solution may benefit users who have one (or more) of the following symptom(s)/problem(s):

* "no connections available" not able to show or scan SSIDS in windows although radio is ON!

* systems with a n6235 adapter installed won't even boot into any OS Linux/Windows just hangs during early kernel init!

* dropping connections!!!

The solution for the n6235+BT is forcing "ASPM" in the BIOS to "L0s" or even totally disable it if you won't mind! The combined "L1 L0s" and "L1 only" option made this machine just hang/freeze during boot!

The solution for the n7260AC+BT is forcing "ASPM" in the BIOS to "L1" or even totally disable it if you won't mind! The combined "L1 L0s" and "L0s only" option had no bad effect in Linux but made the connections diss appear in Windows 7!

The notebook used for discovering this solution is a Acer Aspire One 522 C60 using Bios 1.12 with a different adapter discussed in this thread "n7260AC+BT" card. Since the n6235 didn't work at all in the first place I was putting my bet on the "intel n7260AC-BT adapter" and ending up having two male functioning cards! ;-(

However the n7260AC-BT did install in windows 7 starter although bluetooth was working fine (after forcing the intel BT drivers otherwise BSODS), the Wifi gave an error "no connections available" even-though the radio was ON and I was not able to see or connect to any SSID'S. Only once in xx reboots I did saw one SSID for a second and than it was gone! Disabling all kind of powersavings in Windows 7 didn't improve the situation!

In linux Ubuntu 12.04.3 amd64 + 3.11 kernel&firmware the n7260AC-BT was working fine, both wifi and bluetooth! :-) Than I read about the Intel Centrino Wireless problems related to n6235 adapters etc and though I was in the same hopeless sinking ship.

Just by luck a modded BIOS was available for this notebook and I gave it a try. This BIOS had very specific options for every PCI-e slot in this notebook. After discovering on which PCI-E slot the wifi-adapter resided by finding a blueprint in the Service Manual, I was able to set the ASPM state for that specific slot only! After disabling it and rebooting to Windows 7 I got a working n7260AC-BT card!!! A week later I decided to try the n6235 that didn't work at all in the first place, guess what it also started working!

After some more little fiddling I discovered that the n7260AC-BT will also work with just L1 as power state, but in contrary the n6235 needs to have L0s to operate!

Maybe this post might help Intel or the OEM notebook manufacturers who might need fix drivers or address BIOS updates to fix the problems for their customers?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Alright.... Finally have "sort of" solved this thing.

1. Set 802.11n channel width for band 2.4mhz to - AUTO

2. Set Roaming Aggressiveness to - HIGHEST

3. The wireless has been now connecting to 802.11g "g" not "n", and I've had perfect connection.

Clearly 802.11n "n" is the problem.... Now, it could be that my router is simply selecting "g" for the moment, I don't know, there isn't a setting in Advanced for disabling 802.11n in the 7260.

Anyone know how to disable the "n" in the 7260?

Did setting the "Auto" above simply make it connect to the best network?

I've set these settings before and they did nothing. Of course, I was still connecting to the "n" network, not "g" so I'm guessing the "n" network is the problem with certain routers and intel and otherwise cards especially on Win8 (some also apparently on Win7 depending on driver).

I need to know how to disable the "n" on my end just in case the router and laptop decides to connect to the "n" network again. I can disable through the router, telling it to only use the "b & g" networks, but if this happens in the future like if I travel, or if my roommate who's a jerk decides to change the box login (he doesn't know I've went in, and not telling him because he is a jerk (long story) ), I need to be able to stop my computer using the "n" network.

Anyway, I've confirmed, tested 2 hours now, it's working, not a single noticed drop. But, this is only a workaround, I guess I'm loosing internet speed/strength by not connecting to the "n" network?

So INTEL..... Please fix whatever is wrong with your "n" network connection and certain mainstream routers.

Again, I'm on a CenturyLink router now.

Also, I'm using the default Microsoft driver 16.0.0.62..... although, I don't think it matters which I use, since it's clearly the "802.11n" that is at issue, so as long as I don't connect with that, I'm good.

UPDATE..... Installed "InSSIDer for Home" Wireless monitor and it's saying I'm connected to "n" not "g"???

Or is that just telling me what my router is capable of? I don't think so right??? Doesn't make sense, Windows in Task Manager is telling me I'm connected to "g"?

0 Kudos
KChri3
Beginner

Not sure if my problem is the same or related to the connection drop outs. I have a brand new Samsung windows 8 laptop with Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235. When I connect to my wifi my download speeds are only 10-15 Mbps. All other computers on my wireless network are getting dl speeds of 50mbps. When I am on the road in a hotel my computer gets .5 Mbps and my phone is pulling about 3 Mbps. I have a linksys router from a few years ago that can broadcast in 2.4ghz and 5ghz but not both at the same time. When I set my router to 5ghz I get dl speeds of 50Mbps, but not all my devices can connect at this setting. Looking for a solution or I will have to return my computer and get one that works.

Thanks,

Christenskg

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

You're likely okay..... You can at least connect at the speeds you should.

Yes, you might have to change settings, etc., but that sometimes occurs. For example if other networks are overlapping yours, it can cause speed and dropping issues more so, so using that program I think I mentioned, to see all the networks, you can then select the best channel with the least overlap.

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Please note that this thread is for the Intel® Centrino Advanced-N 6235. Leeuniverse, we recommend you to continue posting in the other threads you used before regarding the same product and issue you have.

The Intel® 7260 wireless products are based on a completely different architecture and therefore the nature of the issue is different.

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Joe @ Failtel that is not true all of these Wifi issues have one thing in common.. Intel designed and built them and isn't resolving the issue. You guys can't fix your own mistakes but you are sure good at covering up your mistakes and ducking under others to place blame elsewhere. The truth is if you did not farm out your internal software development to places like India we would get a resolution much faster ..

Is Intel going to reimburse us the lost time, warranty and frustration we have had dealing with your defective products and ineptitude for over 1 year? Or are you going to go cower under your desk like normal and start deleting comments again?

JGuzi1
Beginner

dear intel your indolence is frustrating much more than 20 pages ago. Look at comments. Its only matter of time now, when someone create group like "centrino6235....." (replacing the dots with his favourite disrespectful word) on facebook or tag on twitter - you will have to blame yourselves.

0 Kudos
ANarb
Novice

If only Joe or what ever moderator is cleaning up post in this thread worked that hard to finding a fix for this problem it would be over and done with. I am completely utter disgusted by the way Intel is acting as company towards it's cash cows because without them where would they be? Everyone should just list these computers with faulty wireless cards on eBay and purchase AMD and Broadcom wireless computers. Everyone here should also just file a class action lawsuit so Intel will open it's eyes once it sees it has to pay a huge some of money to you guys. I really hope they ban me because I rather not be apart of this forum or have anything to do with a heartless company like Intel. Good luck with sales in the next quarter Intel because you need it since I know I will not purchase your inferior products anymore. Goodbye.

HT1
Novice

It seems that Win 8.1 is finally the solution. So if anyone got an MSDN account they should definitely check it out because both my 2230 card and my 6235 card are working perfectly now(1week) without any change to my router settings.

Wireless-N is also working perfectly again!

0 Kudos
PM5
Beginner

"mailto:MBV2000@intel.com MBV2000@intel.com Aug 16, 2012 12:37 AM (in response to steve06)

Correct Answer 1. Re: Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter"

"This question has been Answered."

What ? Where ? No it hasn't been answered ! ..and the other Centrino issues haven't been too.

"Mar 29, 2013 2:51 PM

It's a bigger issue, look at this thread.

Re: Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter"

So that's how I got here. There are many forums about this issue, same problem but here is the most comments.

Intel's job to solve the problem, write a normal driver and consult with the Microsft !

Several times I saw that if someone decrying Intel, the admin canceled that comment.

I think it's understandable after more than one years people are nervous and have no patience because Intel only promises and ignores people who buy an expensive machine and can't use it normaly because of a crappy driver.

0 Kudos
PM5
Beginner

So again dear Intel ! Now this forum isn't just about 6235, it's about other Centrinos too, Windows7 and Windows8, many brands (Dell, Sony, Asus, Lenovo etc,) many types of Router from

many Countries all over the World.

0 Kudos
Mark_H_Intel
Employee

Intel engineers are working on the reported issue and we want it solved as much as you do. Please accept our apologies for the upset and inconvenience this has caused. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

The information posted by many users can be very helpful in identifying and finding a resolution and we welcome community participation.

We do not and we will not delete posts for reporting an issue about Intel products. However, posts containing any content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, tortuous, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, invasive of another's privacy, hateful, or racially, ethnically or otherwise objectionable are subject to deletion per the https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/legal/terms-of-use.html Intel Terms of Use.

As the support community manager, I invite anyone who is having trouble with posts being deleted without cause to send me a private message so that I can investigate.

Mark Hanna

0 Kudos
ARich12
Beginner

Response appreciated and updates will be even more appreciated.

I can't tell you how much time and money I've spent trying to resolve and work around this.

0 Kudos
JGuzi1
Beginner

Mark,

You said nothing more than joe. Fact that these words come from manager not from joe do not change anything community members. None from Intel - You, joe, engineers - wants to take responsibility for this mess your company still sell products with bugged centrino you still sell it to OEM not informing your new customers about problems - this is hypocrisy.

Be the man - replace words that give nothing wit doing something

• give us change log and progress data
  • - give us official statement - not like "Intel engineers are working on the reported issue", I want to have indisputable basis for the return of crappy intel centrino hardware

I will give you an example that will help:

"Intel officially admits the centrino device family have problems with the stability and quality of network connections. Preventing the comfortable use of wifi services..."

Of course you can put here your final resolution final day Q4 2015, Q5 2020 or what ever.  

Don't you think your customers deserve for real explanation ?

0 Kudos
JB26
New Contributor I

Mark, Intel can appoligze all it wants but after 1 YEAR and still no resolution in site we deserve much better from a "world class" company like Intel. So I pose this: Extend our oem warranties the amount of time this issue has not been resilved Financial compensation for lost time and aggravation. Public appoligy from Intel to its customer's for not issuing a timely resolution. Who is with me?

0 Kudos
PM5
Beginner

I'm sick of this **** already! A few months ago I bought my laptop and haven't used it because it was a crap wifi.

The service center replaced the wifi card, then remained *****, I got fed up and put away the laptop on the shelf, I didn't use it.

I thought today turn on my laptop and watch it whats up, but the wifi signal again drops, N mode on or off doesn't matter ! When I will have energy and time I'm going to file a complaint against Intel.

**** it we need to be patient here! No, I have no patience anymore !

I will not buy Windows 8 or 8.1, I have Windows 7

0 Kudos