Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7431 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
FMart21
Beginner

Since intel doesnt care about its customers I decided to replace this adapter with another one from atheros from ebay and my worst fear has became reality.Both adapters have bad reception and this means that the antenna sucks (atleast on 730u3e) to be honest the intel one performs even slightly better.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Actually, your worst fear came true because the problem exists primarily with crappy routers that do not work well with the newer generation wireless technology.

See my post here....

Not only three different computers with three different wireless cards, but also 3 wireless extenders would drop, but the computer connecting to the extenders seemed perfect.

0 Kudos
FMart21
Beginner

I am not sure this is the case, my other asus laptop 3+ years old works fine where this laptop fails

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I know.... We have 2 computers and other devices all older that connect fine. XP, Win 7 and some cell phones.

Again, if you look at my information, "6" different "newer" wireless devices had dropping issues, not simply wireless cards, but wireless extenders to the ISP's DSL/Router. I hook up a second router making it an access point, and my computer, the last one, the one I want to keep, and I connect perfectly fine, ZERO dropping....

Now, given that this is a mass issue, and it does occur with various wireless cards from various company's, it's not "simply" the wireless company's problem. It's a router problem. There are many people who use these wireless cards from Intel or otherwise, without problem. Not only that, but sometimes when they switch to a different brand, their wireless works, while another person the Intel for example works. Just to give an example, a lot of people have reported issues with Killer Wireless cards dropping. But, most people don't have a problem.

Anyway, it can't hurt to "try".... I've given easy instructions on how to set up a second router. Make sure it's a mainstream brand. It could fix your problem. Of course, you could also get another poor router, but, you can at least try. I returned 3 Wireless extenders to Best Buy because they wouldn't connect well either, saw the light constantly going red, and my internet wouldn't work, but my wireless card showed a perfect connection, but that is to the extender, not the main wireless. So, again, a junk Chinese made router....

So, what will it hurt to try? I'm happy as a clam finally......

BTW, I'm an IT geek.... So, I'm telling you the real deal.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Why in the world would this forum sensor the word C.L.A.M???

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Take your new computer to other places, peoples homes, Restaurants, Library, Best Buy, and try the internet.... You will likely discover you don't have dropping issues at most.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

@leeuniverse So you're saying it seems acceptable to you for everyone to go out and replace their router? Even though it works perfectly fine other their older (including Intel brand) wireless cards? The onus should be on Intel to maintain backwards compatibility, not forced obsolescence.

Besides, as you point out, people take their computers outside their home (hence the reason for buying a portable) and you have no control over what router someone else uses. If you happen to live in an area where everyone is running newer routers that are compatible with your Intel 6235, well then that's fortunate for you, but eventually you'll run into a problem.

The rest of us would like a solution to this problem that doesn't come out of our own pocket. There are 62 pages of comments and it was noted long ago (and many times since) that using an old driver works (if you happen to have the right OS and card to use such a driver). So if Intel was able to make the current hardware work with their old driver, then it can be made to work with the new driver too if only they were willing to put an effort into actually fixing the problem.

The fact that someone replaced their 6235 with an Atheros card and is still having problems is completely aside from the point. First of all, maybe the Atheros card is junk as we have no details as to which card was used or who manufactured it. And secondly, maybe their problem really is a faulty antenna, old failing router or other issue unrelated to the 6235. But don't lose sight of the real problem here. All these people here aren't having this type of trouble.

0 Kudos
FMart21
Beginner

I agree that there is some issue with intel drivers but my point here is related to the signal strenght.

The first thing that i noticed on my laptop was the poor range capability in certain zones of the house where my other laptop had a good signal and I tought those were related to intel drivers but after some tinkering(rollback to 14.something drivers and wlan replacement) i came to the conclusion that in my particular case the range won't have any benifit from the drivers.( i dont know if all intel 6235 get equipped with same antenna based on manufacture)
0 Kudos
DBarz
Novice

I think the correct thing to do on Intel's part is to ship new wireless cards to us. We are consumers who have been unfairly taken advantage of. Intel has tried desperately to cover this problem under the dust for a year now, yet they have realized we won't go away. Intel needs to realize that not everyone is an expert with computer hardware. For the last year, I have forced myself to understand all wireless networking terminology because Intel because of this problem. The latency/ping is incredibly unstable.

My laptop is a Samsung NP770Z7E purchased in April of this year. Video streaming and online gaming are not possible on this computer. One second the ping will be 60-80 on a game, then it will jump to 300-400 for a few seconds then come back. This happens every 10 seconds. You would think that Intel had beta testers. To this day they have not owned up to this problem.

Please, rather than face a lawsuit and lose millions, just give us new cards. We will install them ourselves.

JB26
New Contributor I

Unfortunately Intel will never admit there is an actual problem with their device because their ego is so large admitting an issue would mean they did something wrong. Just like Rambus, Intel Pentium math issue, BTX form factor, Intel Sandy Bridge recall, Intel mobile chipset northbridge failures... Too many to list!

You will notice Intel remains silent until Joe@Intel has the wrong information to post like ohh I don't know incorrectly stating a new driver is available that is for a different Wifi card!!

Also Intel has not issued a formal apology for the POS Intel Centrino line of products and they never will.

Also remember most users of the Centrino line will not notice an issue because they are not technical enough to notice performance issues unless the issue affects an actual inability of the device to perform such as losing it's IP.

It's has been noted 60% of people will not complain about an issue as they feel it is to much work and will not accomplish anything once they make a complaint.

It's been over a year folks THERE WILL BE NO SOLUTION FROM INTEL AS MOST LIKELY IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE THAT SOFTWARE IS ATTEMPTING TO COVER UP.

DBarz
Novice

As you stated, it is a hardware issue. The problem with a hardware issue is that the company would be forced to refund the cards and be at a great loss. Instead, they have opted to take their chances on the average I.Q. of a computer user. They don't expect stay-at-home moms and teens to notice the issue.

This is getting ridiculous.

0 Kudos
DLars1
Beginner

If it's a hardware issue, then why does it work with the old Microsoft driver?

0 Kudos
TGome2
Beginner

It doesn't. It just has less drops.

0 Kudos
HHwan
Beginner

I've had sporadic wireless connection dropping with Intel Centrino 2230 N wifi card on my brand new 3rd gen i5 Dell 14R.

I replaced my Dell's 2230 with a cheap Atheros 9285 I got on Ebay, and have not again experienced crazy wireless connection dropping. 2230's WIDI could have been nice, if the basic wifi function worked at all.

I joined Intel Communities just so I can voice how 2230 N is defective, and it deserves total recall.

0 Kudos
DBarz
Novice

I have tried 14.8.8.75 Microsoft drivers. They do not work for my Samsung 7 series.

0 Kudos
IKemp
Beginner

At the moment I am sitting on the drivers 15.10.2.1 (Date: 18.08.2013) from Intel and I got to say that by going to Wireless mode 802.11b/g I am getting pretty decent results. I am not dropping off the wifi (Asus RT-N66U Dark Knight router) and the ping drop is "okayish" - sometimes getting drop to 20-50ms for one ping.

So for myself I have eliminated most of the problems, but I can't use the N network :-(

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

Who wants to try 15.10.4.2 for Windows 8.1 here?

http://www.station-drivers.com/index.php/10-drivers/45-intel-wlan-lan Station-Drivers - Intel (Wlan & Lan)

Just run the self extracting file then click drivers.msi if you want to install drivers only. If you want the Proset software. Just click setup.exe

0 Kudos
SKrie1
Beginner

I chanced it 4-ish days ago and installed the Windows 8.1 driver from that package (driver 15.10.4.2, from the "16.6.0.8" package). Prior to the new driver I was getting several drops per day on 5GHz, and cold/warm reboots didn't seem to help. Since the new driver I've seen zero drops, and better consistency in transfer speeds when moving large files. This doesn't necessarily prove that the new driver is a fix -- my results might be mere chance. But I'm hopeful.

0 Kudos
DDeli
Beginner

This is my first post on this forum, though I've viewed it many times over the last few months. I have a Samsung ATIV 700t A01US. When I first bought the machine, I, like most of us, had nonstop problems with the wireless adapter. After many unsuccessful attempts to tweak settings, I ended up rolling back to the 14.8.8.75 drivers in Windows 8 and everything was at least stable.

Last weekend (and without first checking this forum), I upgraded the machine to Windows 8.1 and the problems, of course, returned with a vengeance due to the forced driver "upgrade" - constant dropouts and network hangs with both the Microsoft and the latest Intel drivers. I spent the next several hours "recovering" the machine back to Windows 8 and re-installing apps, drivers, etc. (Note: this was actually somewhat beneficial as it provided a clean way to get rid of most of the Samsung bloat-ware.)

I read a few pages back that someone had successfully modified the 14.8.8.75 drivers to work correctly in 8.1. If anyone has done this successfully and would be willing to post a step-by-step (as well as confirming that this setup works), that would be much appreciated.

0 Kudos
FLui
Beginner

This problem has also made my development machine nearly useless when I am at home since I upgraded to Windows 8.1 a few weeks ago. When this WiFi adapter connects to my AirPort, it drops the connection every few minutes. When connecting to my iPhone 5s Personal Hotspot over LTE, it is fine.

After reading this forum topic and a related thread at Microsoft (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/windows-81-wifi-dropping-andor-limited/87531d97-c148-4387-acda-5a31b38c069e?page=3&rtAction=1384242651400 http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-networking/windows-81-wifi-dropping-andor-limited/87531d97-c148-4387-acda-5a31b38c069e?page=3&rtAction=1384242651400), I havve finally found a workaround that works for me--since I never use Bluetooth.

I downgraded to the Microsoft driver, version 15.10.0.12 from 6/25/2013, and then followed many of the tips from this forum topic:

1) "In device manager, under the advanced tab of the Centrino card, look for a setting called Bluetooth(R) AMP, and turn this to disabled."

2) "Setting the router and adapter to match supporting features was key. Enabling WMM, 802.11 n,g,b only (no a), and using the 20 MHz channel width was effective." I kept WMM disabled.

3) I disabled Bluetooth and marked all the Bluetooth services as "Disabled" or ensured they were shut down:

a) Bluetooth Device Monitor

b) Bluetooth OBEX Service

c) Bluetooth Support Service

d) "Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R) 4.0 Radio Management"

4) I also disabled "Wake on Magic Packet" and "Wake on Pattern Match" under the "Advanced" tab of the "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 Properties" dialog, since I suspect that this might be causing the problem.

5) Under "Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6235 Properties", I turned off "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."

That has kept my WiFi stable since last night.

After installing some Windows updates, though, the driver was again upgraded to the latest driver from Intel, 15.10.3.2, that you get via "Update Driver Software...". I had to ensure I rolled back to the Microsoft-authored driver, version 15.10.0.12, to make it stable again.

0 Kudos
FLui
Beginner

The above 5 steps still did not fully solve the problem, so I finally disabled "802.1n Mode". That has kept my WiFi stable for a whole day.

It means I am down to 54Mbps, but since my Internet connection is 25Mbps, 802.11g is not the bottleneck for me. Still, we shouldn't have to disable 802.11n when the hardware is advertised as supporting 802.11n.

This issue is worthy of a class-action lawsuit.

0 Kudos