Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7645 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
DKraw1
Beginner

Hi Wooly,

I have a Samsung NP900X3E-A02US. Could you tell me what broadcom card I should get that would work for this computer?

Cheers!

0 Kudos
mcone
Novice

Hi, Yes my samsung is not quite the same model as yours but they obviously have the same centrino 6235 so I see no reason why the card I used will not work. I gave details on the post at the top of page 65 - see there. I got the information from a post on page 38 where somebody listed several possible cards.

0 Kudos
tpavi
Beginner

Hi guys,

What USB solution would you recommend to replace our beloved 6235? What is the best brands of USB network card?

I have a Asus Zenbook UX32A and I don't want to open it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
OPaz1
Novice

i've had my Samsung Series 5 Ultra since last may. The issue persists, Samsung Customer support tell me to wait for the next update but the proble is never solved. Quite frankly, I believe Intel screwed up and won't own it, and most likely doesn't care because they're "too big to fail". I am very upset after shelling out a chunk of money for a new laptop and finding myself having to go back to my old workhorse 4 year old laptop because wi-fi conection is dependable on thet one. Intel, shame on you...and you're not too big to fail. don't forget it, your money comes from those who purchase your stuff and reliability is a big thing.

0 Kudos
mcone
Novice

Hi OSCARPAZ27, You have my full sympathy, I felt the same as you, also buy an expensive Samsung series 5 ultrabook as a replacement for a totally reliable laptop. Please read my first post at top of page 65 you will regain your sanity if you replace this horrible card. I managed to open my case, replace the card and put back together without damage or even marking the exterior.

OPaz1
Novice

Thank you wooly1. Your solution sounds by far like the best possible one, like you, I've been tempted to toss this computer out a window. I should make that change you made but the part of me that demands manufacturer warraties to be respected resists. Samsung support is useless and Intel is just hoping this will go away if it ignores it long enough. My computer is still under warranty but the thought of having to set a laptop up all over again is quite unnerving. I will call the store I bought it from. I do have a replacement plan, but for the same lump, let's see if the store is more helpful than the irresponsible people at Intel. A year with a problem like this and they won't own up to it. I wish I knew someone in the media. This should be news, and I have quite a bone to pick. Maybe if we all write to Cnet? there's almost a thousand comments in this thread, that's a lot of people to ignore. N6235 crashed 3 times while I tried to write this.

0 Kudos
JGuzi1
Beginner

@ oscarpaz27

@ wooly1

guys i'm facing this problem since this forum got about 12 less pages :-) in this time Intel moved resolution term from end of Q3 to end of Q4. My warranty ends in march 2014 this is the second quarter when i'm waiting for solution (samsung np550p5c windows 8.1 centrino 6235 ). My computer drops about 2% of transmission when 3 m from router (max transmission power, with 50% of transmission power and same distance it is almost impossible to connect with vpn - over 10% drops measured with Intel Advanced Statistics). This behaviour shows up on half a dozen of routers that have been tested. It is almost not visible in normal internet connection but with VPN this is really annoying. I promised myself wait until end of Q4 and return device to samsung warranty service.

There is no more options that resolve this issue.

Oops sorry now it is Q1 seriously - Intel is playing with all of us.

0 Kudos
OPaz1
Novice

Guys, I went to network connections and disabled the Ethernet and so far it's been 24 hours without a connection crash. It does ocassionally get painfully slow but connection hasn't crashed. I ordered my Bradcom card in any case. I'll keep it under observation. Anybody else try this? results? Good luck.

Intel, thanks for nothing, you suck.

0 Kudos
OPaz1
Novice

Afrer reading all this I wonder if we can file a class action lawsuit against Intel? Any lawyers in the audience? I'm in. A year and no solutions, a lesson must be taught.

0 Kudos
LMore3
Beginner

I can report that in spite of the tech note found here:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034535.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products — TechNote: Sporadic wireless disconnects caused by data reordering issue

which declares the sporadic disconnect issue is solved with the latest drivers (Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 16.7.0.), the issue continues and is by no means resolved. Sporadic disconnects continue as always if not more frequently. As far as my research shows the only solution is to replace the card with a non-Intel product.

I find it difficult to believe that a company the size of Intel can not generate a working driver for their own hardware. Sad indeed.

0 Kudos
NNorm1
Beginner

Check the actual version of the drivers you now have - after you installed 16.7.0.

I discovered that installing the Full software AND drivers "e" version, my drivers were not actually updated.

I subsequently had to install the drivers only (De) version - which then increased my drivers to 15.10.5.1 (dated 31/10/2013).

0 Kudos
LMore3
Beginner

I do have the latest drivers installed (ver. 15.10.5.1 dated 10/31/2013). Which begs another question: Why were drivers dated 10/31/2013 not released until the end of December? They could have been released two months ago as beta since they were supposedly a fix for a major problem. We would have known that they did not fix the problem and there would have been no need to have them certified by Microsoft which I assume was the delay in releasing them.

As suggested in your post above, I have tried all of the fixes recommended by http://woodygems.com/ http://woodygems.com including disabling UPnP on my routers to see if that helps. I am hoping that will help some when using my notebook at home but I am afraid it will do nothing for me when I am traveling and connecting on other wireless networks.

Edit: Disabling UPnP on my routers did not stop the disconnects. A Broadcom BCM943228HMB is on the way.

0 Kudos
LMore3
Beginner

I have come up with a solution that greatly reduces the connection drops if you are on Windows 8.1. I also used the same solution with Windows 8 which eliminated any connection drops.

Uninstall any associated Intel drivers and software from control panel, then open device manager and right click on the 6235 network card and uninstall the card and check to delete the drivers. Then scan for new hardware. It should re-install the 6235 card. Make sure that it has installed a driver provided by Microsoft. In the case of Windows 8.1 it will be version 15.10.0.12 dated 6/25/2013. I don't recall the Windows 8 version but it will be the original drivers that shipped with Windows 8. If it has installed drivers, shown as provided by Intel, on the properties page repeat the process above until drivers provided by Microsoft have been installed. Then run windows update and hide any updated drivers available as they are provided by Intel and will cause disconnects. If you do not right click on the available drivers in Windows Update and hide them, Windows Update will install them and the disconnects will start again.

0 Kudos
OPaz1
Novice

Hi Mate,

I tried your proposed solution, it didn't work for me, signal drops on Windows 8.1 continued, but thanks for the idea. Broadcom BCM943228HMB is also on the way. Hopefully that will be the end of this folly. Intel is shameless, what amazes me is that they've been able to keep the lid on this disaster.

0 Kudos
NNorm1
Beginner

Now, this is VERY interesting - as prior to your update, I had only previously had the 6235 drivers installed and NOT the Intel PROSet Software.

HOWEVER, on installing the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software version 16.7.0, not only did I note that this did NOT actually upgrade the drivers (see my note above) BUT that I started to experience the disconnect problem - something which I hadn't experienced for a while with using just the drivers.

I therefore uninstalled the PROSet software and just stuck with the drivers version 15.10.5.1 and I have had no subsequent disconnects.

I therefore conclude, like you, that it is the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software that is the problem and not the drivers.

Is anyone else seeing this?

0 Kudos
LMore3
Beginner

Re: I therefore conclude, like you, that it is the Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software that is the problem and not the drivers.

No, I had disconnects with the Intel drivers without the PROSet/Wireless software installed. I know that when I was running Windows 8 using the Microsoft supplied drivers, I eliminated all disconnects. With Windows 8.1 I have had the occasional disconnect with the Microsoft supplied drivers but had numerous disconnects with all of the Intel supplied drivers. As of last night since I rolled back to the original drivers that shipped with Windows 8.1 and hid the driver update which installs Intel drivers, I have not had a single disconnect. I plan to continue running my notebook in this manner until my Broadcom card arrives. If I do not receive any disconnects between now and the time the Broadcom card arrives, I will just go with this set up but will have the replacement card at the ready if I receive another single disconnect. I am done fooling with this ridiculousness.

Edit: Update, Three days now and I have had no drops since rolling back to the original Microsoft supplied drivers. I will report back her if I do encounter any disconnects. I now have my Broadcom card in hand in case the disconnects recur.

0 Kudos
ISiri
Beginner

So I've been having this irritating connection drops and sudden ping spikes for a full year. I bought a WiFi dongle for 10$ after messing around with wifi card settings, router settings and such then I stopped caring at all since samsung customer service told me to wait for an updated drivers containing a fix for this issue either from Samsung or Intel itself. Anyways, I'm at one of my friend's house and forgot my WiFi dongle at home so I thought i'd mess around a bit more. Well i fixed the problem in a weird way. Here's what I've done;

- First I changed the wireless mode to 802.11g only on the router.

- Then I've disabled 802.11n mode from the wireless adapter's settings. [ This one wouldn't suffice btw, many people said it worked for them but it didn't in my case. ]

- Since disabling the 802.11n didn't work, I changed the wifi mode on my adapter's settings to 802.11g only.

- Then I set the wifi channel to fixed settings rather than automatic from the router's settings.[ I set it to 11, you can try others and there was a program called inssider or something which tells you which channel is optimal and such ]

Now I didn't try the WiDi thingy since there is no WiDi compatible devices where I am at the moment and I don't know if 802.11g's traffic speed would be enough for WiDi but so far no dropouts or packet losses for me and I've been testing it for 25 minutes on video streaming and online gaming.

I thought I'd share it here so maybe I can help someone struggling with the same issue.

0 Kudos
AVall4
Beginner

Hello,

Just to say I noticed a strange fact :

I change the configuration on my router and for one minute I had a 6mB/s download speed instead of 1mB/s !

Like it should be !

But, progressivly the download speed slowed down back to 1mB/s. (less than 1 minute)

6mB/s ... 5mB/s... 4mB/s... ......... 1mB/s

Just if like my router or ***** 2635 was saying : Hey ! Calm down ! It's to quick for me !

And now, no way to get this speed again... It's just like if my router knew that this card can't go faster...

I can still turn of n mode but I PAID FOR IT SO MAKE IT WORK !

Good luck

0 Kudos
LMore3
Beginner

RE: . It's just like if my router knew that this card can't go faster...

Although your post has nothing to do with this thread or sporadic disconnects, your card is capable of much higher speeds than you are getting. I would suggest that the problem is your ISP, your router or WIFI congestion in your area. I have 100Mbs internet and can achieve speeds up to 120 Mbs.

RE: Since disabling the 802.11n didn't work, I changed the wifi mode on my adapter's settings to 802.11g only.

I am afraid 802.11g is an unacceptable solution. Most of us have this card for the higher speed afforded by 802.11n.

0 Kudos
AVall4
Beginner

I disagrea, it's not a wifi congestion problem.

My friend's computer, also with a 'n' card don't have this slow down issue.

regards

0 Kudos
RGhor
Novice

Just bought me a new Router to both improve my overall networking performance since i have lots of devices and use the wifi heavily and to see if this damn card will perform any better. So i got me the asus rt-ac68u which is suppose to be one of the best routers around. Sadly problem remains, the intel 6205 card (same with 6235) disconnects just the same, the sad thing is if i try to disable/enable windows7 sort of hangs badly and i need to hard reset my NUC. This is just lame how bad Intel is handling this whole issue, i meas seriously 67 pages about this problem and many many threads and still no fix nor any sort of support, its like we are talking to a wall i feel.

I guess this is what happens when companies grow to big, they just dont care about a "few" people having problems as long as they make money......I'm still hoping someone from Intel will get in here and give us some hope about a fix in a near future .....

0 Kudos