Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7491 Discussions

Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter

idata
Employee

Dear all,

I have the same issues of intermittent sudden connection dropouts as reported by others with the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 Wifi adapter and the Intel Proset 15.x drivers!

My system is a brandnew desktop computer with an Intel i7 3770 Quad-Core CPU, an Intel Z77 chipset, an Asrock Z77E-ITX mainboard, 16 GB of RAM, and Windows 7 64-bit.

Previously, I already encountered the issue with this adapter's predecessor, the Intel Centrino 6230 and only managed to resolve it by going back to an older driver version. If my memory is correct, the Intel Proset 14.x version range worked flawlessly, but the 15.x drivers lead to the dropouts (I always use 64-bit drivers).

These can occur randomly after 5 or after 50 minutes. The adapter suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect to the wireless network unless it is reset. The wireless router itself is fine as there are over a dozen devices from all types of brands that connect regularly to it without any problem at all.

The fact that the problem occurs on two different cards (6230 and 6235) leads me to believe that there is a driver problem.

On the 6235, going back to a 14.x driver does not seem to be an option on the table, because the device seems to be only supported by 15.x versions. I already tried going back from the recent 15.2 version to the previous 15.1.1 (after uninstalling through the device manager), but the problem still persists. Now I just went back to 15.1.0 and it's been ok so far, but i'm not very optimistic.

I have tried different changes in the driver settings but with no success. The problem persists!

I'd be thankful for a solution.

Best regards,

Steve

Edited 9/5/2014 by John S. (Intel Customer Support).

The "/message/169514# 169514 Sporadic but recurring connection dropouts on an Intel 6235 wireless adapter" thread will be locked. This thread will remain on the forum for you to reference, but no new posts will be possible on this thread.

The 17.1.0 version of Intel® PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers has fixes for connectivity related issues with the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 wireless adapter. If you are still experiencing connectivity issues after installing the very latest software and drivers and you require further troubleshooting, please contact Intel Customer Support. If you prefer to ask questions, make comments, and/or receive answers on this support forum (Wireless Networking Support Community), please start a new thread or find an existing thread that matches your specific issue with your specific hardware/software.

US

Worldwide

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support Intel Customer Support

1,128 Replies
idata
Employee

Same problem here on an Asus UX32VD.

Last Driver (15.6.0.19) seems to fix the dropout problem however I still have some terrible speed and ping packet loss.

Pinging my NAS on the same network segment from different computers:

-UX32VD equipped with N-6235 I have roughly 10% packet loss. Even when being less than 3 feet away from the router. Disabling 802.11 N and being on 802.11 G worsen the problem.

-XPS M1530 (6 years old): 0% packet loss

-Homemade PC (4 years old) : 0% packet loss

Result: I have a brand new 1300-dollar ultrabook resulting in erratic internet browsing and chopping and lagging playback of movies from the NAS when older devices have no issue at all.

I am waiting 1 more month for Intel to fix this after which I send the laptop back to Asus so they take care of putting the pressure on their Wifi component provider...Intel.

I have never had such an unreliable connectivity and terrible experience with a network card. Very different from the marketing pitch on n-6235 product page:

"Your Ultrabook™ with the Advanced-N 6235 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth adapter combines faster speed (up to 300 Mbps), greater rance and reliability with Intel-only wireless features to deliver the best connected experience. "

A very disapointed customer who is also expecting better communication from Intel on the n 6235 issues which are common to all laptops manufacturers.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all.

Joined just to report the same known issues, and express my dissapointment with Intel in this matter.

Bought an Asus UX32VD about three weeks ago, and soon discovered the wifi issues. Just like others, i had slow speeds and recurring dropouts.

My dealer was happy to replace the zenbook since theres no available fix, neither from Asus or Intel.

I agreed to it, hoping this is a hardware problem affecting only certain computers, and getting another one from another batch might mean trouble free networking.

Well, got my second Zenbook UX32VD three days ago, and after upgrades, (ssd and more ram) i did a clean install win8 on this one. Did not install any drivers myself, let the Microsoft issued 14.8.8.75 driver do the job.

Guess what happened? It worked!, or so I thought..

First 6hrs of use, i got my normal 25,5-26 Mbit/s download (25Mbit dsl), and the connection was stable.

But, after those 6hrs, it all came.. Speed from 0,8-5Mbit/s, and the disconnections happened more and more often.

Switched off the 802.11n mode and currently running stable with downloads around 12Mbit/s

The ever so annoying 54Mbps between the zenbook and other units on my home network is obviously no fun, and 12Mbit/s is just hopeless when my Iphone gets 26..

Details aside, to sum up, I'm dissapointed. The ultrabook I like the best, doesn't work right.

Both Asus and Intel, the suppliers I've trusted since my days of building own PC's in the early 90's, have screwed up. Big time!

Allthough it's a little fun to start modifying computers again, this is not what I signed up for when deciding on a Zenbook.

Anyways, new network card ordered. (Killer N-1202)

Trusting Atheros and Killer for future connections.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I updated my driver with the most recent one 15.6 and it's actaully worst for me now. Before, i was able to troubleshoot and it would "reset the wireless adaptor" and it would work again. but now, even that doesnt work

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi,

I am an owner of a Samsung Ativ Pro (Win 8 64) and the only "solution" that worked (thank you skallebank) was to disable from the adapter settings the 802.11n Mode. Of course this is not a solution since I am limited to 54Mbit/s, however anything else I tried (new drivers, change to maximum performance etc) did not work.

Intel should come with a solution fast and stop asking from us to do the testing. We are costumers that bought a product and not researchers helping them to test its products.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I z77e ITX ASROCK user.

CPU is 3770.

The problem is;

Despite the 6235 modem supports 300Mbps speeds at 1 m from the see of only 72-87 mbps.

Intel wifi card with great confidence that I was disappointed.

Not to mention from widi.

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

Wow Intel. It's now been 2 weeks since you've been working on this..and no fix yet.

15.6.0 is actually the same if not worse. I have an ASUS UX32A.

As stated before, I'm pretty sure the problem is with power management. When in Power Saver mode of the wireless adapter, dropouts occur. However when on "maximum performance" as opposed to "maximum power saving", it works fine.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just bought an Asus UX31A - XB72 which is running on Win 7 pro. I returned an Asus UX32VD which had a similar problem because it was running Windows 8, which I thought was related to this (plus, to be honest, Windows 8 wasn't running several of my core software programs smoothly anyway). I have the exact problems described here. At first it was slow but not unusable. I changed the power setting from full to a hybrid setting and that might have been what started the full onset of it dropping the wireless constantly. I installed the updated driver (15.6.0) and that caused blue screens to be added to the no wifi problem. Then I saw here that the power settings change might have been effecting it so I reset it to full and disabled wireless N and so far it's working, but it's slow (so not fixed) but at least it's possible to get my email. Just how big a deal is it to just change out the Intel® Centrino® Advanced-N 6235 my laptop is equipped with? And what is the recomended replacement? Intel? I would love some direction on this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

I've bought my Samsung New Series 9 (NP900X4D) with Win 8 installed 15 days ago, and I've not had any problems with WiFi until today. Curiously enough, my WiFi connection started to lose strength decreasing from 5 bar to 2 bar periodically, as you all mentioned. I have changed Power Options, I have re-installed the latest version but no to avail.

Then I installed Win 7 driver instead of Win 8, and viola! I guess it is a problem related to Win 8, rather than the wireless card.

From the moment I installed Win 7 driver, everything has been working like clockwork. I hope it won't break down.

Cheers

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=works%20 http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=works%20&go=Define http://www.google.com/search?hl=com&btnI=I'm+Feeling+Lucky&q=works%20+wikipedia http://www.google.com/search?q=works%20 http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=works%20 worksThe Free Dictionary: Physical or mental effort or activity directed toward the production or accomplishment of something. http://duckduckgo.com/?q=works%20

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Model: Asus G74SX

Driver: All

Wifi: 6230 & 6235

I just bought a 6235 to replace a 6230 as there were issues after going to Windows 8.

Sadly, it changes nothing, both have the same problems

I tried all drivers versions with the two cards on fresh windows installs and it's unstable.

If only wifi is activated (device manager, desactivate bluetooth device), 6230 & 6235 works nice (> 10Mo/s Lan Up and Down).

If Bluetooth is activated, that's working very badly ! Most of time, i can reach correct speed in Upload (4 to 6 Mo/s), but only get 1,25Mo/s max in Download from the Lan. I also issue connections dropout.

I tried to get back to Windows 7 Pro x64 with 6235, but it seems there is same problem now !

Hope there will be a solution very soon.

Are there any limitation we must know when using simultaneously Wifi (2,4Ghz - 20/40Mhz tested) and Bluetooth ?

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just received my brand new Dell XPS 13 and i was able to connect 30min before the wifi connection started and never stoped for the past 2 days.

folowing every other tips and drivers update, installing old drivers, but nothing worked. restarting or deactivating the wifi card didn't do anaything also.

Only way to get connected is to either restart the routeur (note that it's use by the whole company with no one with wifi issue on their HP laptop so i cannot restart it) or through a USB shared connection from my iphone connected in wifi. This is ridiculous to have so much pain with a new computer.

As of now, here the configuration

Laptop Dell XPS 13

Windows 8 64 bits.

Wifi card: Intel Centrino 6235

Drivers version: 15.6.0.19

Wifi routeur: Orange livebox Pro - b/g/n - WPA/WPA2 (TKIP/AES)

Lookinf forward for a prompt answer from intel to fix this driver issue.

thanks

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been 3 weeks (21 days) since I last replied and heard from Intel that they're working on the issue. Pathetic!!!

Looks like they are nothing but lazy and unwilling to address or fix the issue! Jeez.

NEVER buying anything Intel again. I had a good experience with AMD, I will probably stick to them in the future as well.

idata
Employee

Actually I am worried that this is a hardware issue and not a driver issue. How will Intel handle this...

Intel say something, even if it is to state that you are still working on this.

The n6235 is a total failure so far (even if the 802.11g mode works).

I want the 802.11n to work.

Laurent

0 Kudos
oskil
Novice

NEVER buying a stupid Intel again

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hey Guys,

I have been having a lot of problems with my 6235 card. Connection would drop sporadically and sometimes the only way to bring it back up would be disabling the network adapter and re-enabling it again. The only solution for me at that time was to disable N mode. That solved the issue but completely defeated the whole point of me buying this card.

Today, I downgraded my Centrino drivers to 15.3.1.2 version that came out in September of last year. So far I have been running for a few hours with no problems with N mode. I have been doing some heavy downloading and so far it haven't dropped once. I have also confirmed through my AP that I am in fact running in N mode 2.4ghz.

I have Sager NP9130 running Windows 7 64bit Pro.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Never mind...It"s doing it again...

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

for what it is worth guy... I did a clean install of win 8 on my asus zenbook ux31a... and opted NOT TO INSTALL the intel drivers and just use the Microsoft stack. I get a stable connection, full throughput (300mbps connected to the 5ghz channel on my wndr4000) and still have Bluetooth functionality (though limited). I hope this can help some others suffering through this as I fear an intel solution is not immediately forthcoming.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I to am also experiencing problems, connection drop outs, unacceptable packet loss on lan, high latency lag spikes..

Clevo P150em

Windows 8 x64 Pro

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235

Driver version = 15.6.0.19

Very annoying.. Has made online/lan multiplayer gaming pretty much impossible without using an ethernet cable..

I have used an Ubuntu 12.04 Live cd and tested my system under linux, the wireless card performs well, connecting at 144mbps consistently without any packet loss.

Had the option for a Killer Wireless 1202 at purchase, wish I had gone for that..

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Samsung Series 9 NP900X4D

Windows 7 Pro

Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235

Driver version = 15.6.0.19

Have had the same problems since day 1. Very frustrating, as this should be more or less a premium class machine. Anyway, what actually SOLVES the problem for me is manually switching OFF the Bluetooth adapter from the icon in the notification area. I guess this is where the problem lies, as switching it ON when I need it immediately results in Wi-Fi problems. Please check if this works for you guys and revert.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I had tried Win 7 driver and thought it had solved my problem. But no, it happened again. It's getting a bit ridiculous for a company like Intel not to be able to cure such a widespread problem. Today, I realized another problem with this card. When I connected my phone to my computer via Bluetooth for file share, my internet connection immediately dropped and stayed so until I broke the Bluetooh connection.

What say you, Intel? Proud of this premium service? I paid a fortune for my Samsung NP900X4D, and I cannot use it properly because of you.

Very well done!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I got a very similar Issue with my Lenovo X1 Carbon and its N6205 running Windows8 x64.

After some time the connection will just drop - sometimes it looks as if everything is fine and the system just can't access the network - other times it says "Limited Connectivity".

Also the WIFI List is empty (containing only the currently "connected" WIFI) in these cases.

Yesterday I've replaced my Apple Airport (which I thought caused this issue) with a LANCOM L321agn - but today it reoccurred.

Out of curiosity I looked at the Windows Event Log and lots of events were logged at the time of the connection loss:

Source NETwNe64 / EventID 5002:

[snip No description found for event - data as follows]

\Device\NDMP7

Intel(R) Centrino(R) Advanced-N 6205

Der angegebene Ressourcentyp wurde nicht in der Image-Datei gefunden

The error message translates to

"The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file."

Maybe someone else (with N6235?) has a similar message logged in event log.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi all, my brand new series Ultra 5 NP5U30U3C has sames issues, or even worse. Around the other day it looses the N-6235 card. When I check the hardware I get an exclamation telling it wasn't able to start up the Wifi adapter.

The only thing left to do is restart the driver installation, which also implies that I have to key in the WPA2/WEP passwords from 4 different locations where I often use my computer. I did a full re-install by formatting the drive, removing all samsung rescue partitions and clean installation (windows 7) but the problem remains.

I hope this can be solved by a driver update, but I think it's a hardware mistake from Intel (else they would have found a solution during the last 6 months don't you think).

Come on Intel.... do something!

(maybe everyone of us should add a new thread about this to get the attention from Intel)

0 Kudos